GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys 2 months into GTR ownership and loving every minute. The blast up the 'A' road near us is probably the only thing keeping me sane at the moment.

So today I went to do a essentials food shop (honest)... and thought I'd get the front tyre pressures done. They have needed a couple of psi for a while but due to current situation I've left it longer than I would have liked.

For some reason I decided I had to get it done today, so I pulled into a petrol station and took the valve cap off and... the valve stem screw section came clean off... and I mean it literally must have been hanging by a small metal thread...I looked at it and it was pitted and weakened due to corrosion.

The speed the tyre deflated really put the frighteners in me, it can't have been more than 7-8 seconds before it went completely flat. I can't imagine what would have happened at high speed or round a bend... 馃槵

I called the AA who came out in 20 minutes and repaired it with a very solid but temporary repair. The guy was absolutely brilliant to be fair and said there are no restrictions but I should get a new part fitted soon as possible.

I've searched the forum for replacements advice, but I can't find a huge amount of info on this particular issue and replacement options.

There are loads of after market sensor/valves but after today's incident I don't want to take any risks...

Does anyone have any recommendations on good quality replacements and is it possible (or should I avoid) swapping out just the metal stems? (the TPMS sensors are all working perfectly still).

I've seen a set of 4 T-pro hybrid tpms clamp in units at around 拢150. Wondered if anyone has had any experience with these or can offer any advice.

Also please check your tyre valve stems regularly, this could end really badly for someone if it happens at high speed or in the wet, or both...

Thanks in advance

MGS

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Barry thanks for reply, mines a 2010. Are your sensors OEM or general fit ones? Regards MGS.

Premium Member
General fit, they work well, several guys on here have used them. You will need to borrow a trigger tool and ecutek cable to code the new sensor in or ask on here if someone local to you could do it.

Registered
Sed dozens of Barrys sensors, spot on and always sync to the car instantly, and herin lies the argument for runflats !!!;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Barry to the rescue... I have bought a set of sensors from him, will be getting them fitted as soon as possible. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts