GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
if the engine has a more powerful oil pump it will make the modeem fault more obvious but not more likely to happen - a cracked head is still favourite every time.

My engine had been rebuilt by TR with forged internals and trust pump but the modeem wasnt changed something I would always do now.

Treg yes it was done by Ike but I went direct

JP if you have spent money and the engines been done but the modeem wasnt changed maybe you will be lucky.

Hope so

·
R35 Section manager
10,707 Posts
If its the head itself you wont fix it yourself.If you can strip the head off I can get you the guys details to send it to-otherwise theres Abbey or Eurospec.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
right my head is cracked so im booked into rk tuning rons going to do the head mod for me then back on the road happys day

·
Registered
133 Posts
If there seems to be no water in the oil there is another possibilty if you are very lucky.
Admitedly the fault is far more often a cracked head but its worth looking at before the whole engine is removed and stripped

The stock oil modeen (cooler ) can split internally .
Its mounted on the block above the starter motor and under the plenum.

When the oil gets hot the crack enlarges slightly and oil gets into the into the water "jacket" and then because of gravity ( oil floats) it goes up to the rad .
You dont get water in the oil because the oil pressure is much higher than the water pressure.

Changing the modeen solves it.

This actually happened to my stagea and was made worse as I had an uprated oil pump which runs at much higher pressure . Incedently the oil pressure did not drop.

I do have a bare head that has had the water gallery done by the same guy that does them for RK and abbey but it does need skimming.
Hi,
I have the same problem. To change the modeen, do i have to put the whole block out or can it be done from under the car?
Gr. Wietse

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
its only a small chance its the oil cooler m8 can be checked as for removing it from under the car maybe, chances are it the head thats cracked m8

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmm thats not so good. The car is running perfecty and there is no water traces in oil. The amount of oil in the watertank is very small after i cleaned it. I hope its the oil cooler.
Gr. Wietse

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem as you, oil in the radiator. No sign of any in the sump. R32 GTR 100,000 miles. After making some enquiries I was told it was probably the head. Got the oil cooler tested locally, that was ok. So sent the head to Ike for repair. Nearly finished screwing it back together, so I will be able to tell you if it worked in about a week. Progress is slow due to work commitments.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
To confirm
I dont want to raise peoples hopes.

It can be the modeen but it is FAR MORE LIKELY TO BE A CRACKED HEAD - in fact the modeen fault is rare
When it happened to me the engine had been completely rebuilt including forged internals etc and the fault happened within 1000 miles . As everything was changed including a high pressure oil pump the chances were high in my case that it was the modeen . Also it was leaking oil which suggested the same.

So whilst it is an outside bet , it did happen to me and its always worth checking before you remove the whole engine etc.
The modeen is at the rear of the block above the stater motor (ish) and can be removed in situ but a lift helps access.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did my head with the engine in situ, but I have since learned that it is easier with the engine out. I think it was Rob from RIPS who told someone on here that they would learn many new swear words doing it in situ. He was right!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
so the modeen is the oil cooler ? or is that something else i was thinking the oil cooler can crack as well as you may tell im a little confused please explain regards paul

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
The modeen is a small factory oil cooler bolted to the block .

Its not really a high performance oil cooler just a water jacket round the outlet oil pipe from the block and is designed to keep the oil temperature sensible .

If the oil pipe cracks/splits inside the modeen when the oil gets hot the crack/split gets a little bigger. Because the oil is at pump pressure it is pushed out of the split into the jacket and because water isnt under the same pressure it doesnt get back into the oil system.Obviously with a high power oil pump it will be worse

As the split is usually small the above only happens when the oil gets hot and this can make it hard to diagnose.

As the oil is lighter than water it goes round the system with the water but tends to get stuck in or at the top of the rad

21 - 40 of 47 Posts