GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bawling:

Only had the car for about a month. Thought I would play it safe and have Abbey service and do a general tidy up.

They found oil in the water which they are pretty certain is a cracked head! Obvioulsy I am going to get them to replace it etc but how much is my wallet going to scream at me? Are we talking more than a couple of grand?

I want to be prepared for the shock of the cost.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Surely the best people to ask is Abbey ;) (if you have already chosen them to do the work)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell if a head is cracked? Just wondering if it was a known fault before I bought the car.....
Doubt the guy knew as it was not his daily drive and it was looked after by some very knowledable guys.
I might have even knackered it myself :bawling:

Oh well, I'll just wait till Abbey estimate and then start putting my bonus aside :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'll wait till Abbey let me know.
I just don't have any knowledge of how much the materials are let alone labour so it was more a case of "am I looking at £10, £100, £1000, £10000?" sort thing. i.e magnitude of cost rather than actual figures.

·
Registered
234 Posts
is the oil milky in the sump? why did they say cracked head straight away.... im sure they said it could be the head gasket awell?????

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Or it could be the block! (Cracked or porous)

Depends how paranoid you want to be.

Go for broke, its both. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
surely without a: seeing a crack or b: getting the head crak tested how can they be sure the head is cracked?

I would have thought at least a couple of £k for a replacement head, although my first thought would be HG on symptoms mentioned....

Simon

419 Posts
Here we go again.

The reason we have diagnosed it as a cracked head is because we have 16 yrs experience on this car.

In that time I have neaver ever seen a head gasket blown.The head cracks between the oilway in the head and the water jacket. 100% fact.

Being that the oil pressure is about 4 times more than the water pressure it wins the battle. Result oil in water,oil floats on water, oil appears in top of radiator top tank.

Tony

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
There you go again Tony, imparting quality expertise (and experience) free of charge. Just wait until Marky finds out!

Oh, and yes, Tony is absolutely right, he describes a known problem(/weakness) on GTR's. (As is cracked/porous block).

And before anyone asks, the crack(s) are usually tiny, you cannot see them, although a pressure test for example can verify.

The good news is, have a gas flowed head put back on and decent gaskets, not the original paper ones! You also might want to add a few other upgrades whilst you are at it......... and the treadmill begins! ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark did say that Abbey have seen quite a few cracked heads. When I was talking to him I initially thought if the HG. Thing is, either way its got to be fixed. Good excuse to see what else can be sorted out at the time anyway (trying to be positive and not cry).

Thanks to Mark and the guys at Abbey for catching the problem and letting me know. Especially since it could have lead to something even more fatal if undetected.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Jesus H christ, don't you know anything Tony? It's more likely to be the gear stick gaiter is torn, how can you claim a cracked head, it's probably the first nissan you've ever worked on, bloody rip-off merchants!! LOL

Have seen many a cracked GTR head, usually from overheating, and quite often a pressure test does not reveal anything, it needs to be pressure tested at operating temperature for the minute fissures to be open enough to make a detectable leak. And headgasket failure is fairly rare on rb motor's.

Like Todd say's "everyday is a school day" ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
mine did the same,same symptoms oil in the water when tested had a cracked oil gallery.did the work myself but the head was £1200ish new
by the way i also have a porous block but that is just loosing coolant from the system and not affecting anything else
cheers simon

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Can these cracks in the head be avoided anyway?
I mean what is the best way to stop this happening?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thanks you very much cord.
What causes a porous block then?
If the block is porous this will not cause problems only a loss of fluid, is this correct?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts