GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
31,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever had this?

Gregs GTR is making some weird noise, and its got so loud now it almost sounds like a V8... the exhaust is brand new, down pipes seem fine

do the 32 manifolds have a habit of crackinG?

it boosts fine

any other ideaS?

mook

·
Administrator
31,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
or maybe a cracked elboW?

would a leaking elbow generate enough heat to crack the seating?

mook

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Is it possible that its one of the gaskets thats gone? , Would be nice as its rather cheaper to fix...

And they do normally get louder over time too, Had a 200SX in with similar probs, No power and slowly getting louder, Fresh gasket on where the turbo meets the manifold and that cured it all... Also worth looking at the manifold bolts, I have seen quite a few turbo cars with bolts broken or missing from there...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If it is the manifolds i have a set sitting in the shed for a small premium:chuckle:
Jay

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would go for gaskets first, but you will find out as you start to remove the turbo's

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its common for the elbow nuts to come off and allow leakage there.

Even a slightly leaky cat-pipe gasket can sound pretty bad.....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My mates R32 had a similar noise, sounded like a tank, was a blown gasket, exhaust manifold where it joins the turbo.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Manifold to turbo gasket. Guaranteed :)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Leggus is correct :)

·
Administrator
31,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spoke to ron and he agrees too

think we are gonna luzz some 34 tubbies on there until he can afford something better

thanks for the input

mook

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
yep, them rectangular things, burnt through mine and had to replace them. Put it off for awhile though because, truth be told, I rather enjoyed the obnoxiously loud roar the car gave off. Better not let it slide too long though - the scorching hot exhaust gas leaking will warp the flanges, and skimming the flanges flat again just adds more grief to what is a more or less straightforward job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts