GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm running a R32 block. I don't understand why it would crack at the bottom of the cylinder. I have seen cracks at the top of all the way down. but never just at the bottom. What causes it?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Looks like it's cracked all the way down the cylinder? Judging by all the green anti-freeze it's not been frozen, maybe block twist? has it been bored out? what boost has it been running?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like it's cracked all the way down the cylinder? Judging by all the green anti-freeze it's not been frozen, maybe block twist? has it been bored out? what boost has it been running?
After looking at it more today there is a very tiny hair line crack the rest of the way up. but it only broke through in the bottom. I don't see how number 2 cylinder would be the only one to take a hit if the block twisted. It's a .020 over bore so 86.5bore. motor has been running 30psi for the past 9 months. put c16 in and turned it up to 36psi and it let go.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You need to determine the crack initiation point and in which direction it propogated to solve this one. On the upper face of the block, where does the crack start/finish?

Ian

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Frost damage, over boring on a block with core shift, or a real bad block from a casting point of view, from new. Band saw it in two through the crack to find out for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts