GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my MOT is due in a months time my Front disks have very slight cracks coming from the holes as you all know it is a common fault on the original disks. has anyone had an MOT failure due to this problem?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
It's a failure. You will be lucky for it to go through with the cracks.

I'm an MOT tester and I would fail it, when it comes to brakes which is basically your life in the testers hands then no corners should be cut! If the tester misses the cracks (which is unlikely) then you will be lucky.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a failure. You will be lucky for it to go through with the cracks.

I'm an MOT tester and I would fail it, when it comes to brakes which is basically your life in the testers hands then no corners should be cut! If the tester misses the cracks (which is unlikely) then you will be lucky.
Okay thanks mate looks like I will be ordering my up rated brake sooner rather than later cheers for your help

·
Registered
462 Posts
cracks

The mot has changed, cracks are not a failure unless they extend to the outer edge, also cracks in tyres are not a failure now as long as cord cannot be seen

·
Registered
644 Posts
Small cracks should not make you fail MOT..

I drove mine with cracked discs for like 5 months lol until both discs and pads were at their limits..

Got some alcons now best thing i ever did :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Small cracks should not make you fail MOT..

I drove mine with cracked discs for like 5 months lol until both discs and pads were at their limits..

Got some alcons now best thing i ever did :)
Getting ready for a track day i hope.

Goldie

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Ive been for mot a few times with small hairline cracks in the discs and never had a failure, if there small it will be fine but a crack right to the edge clearly visible will obviously be an instant fail as it needs to be.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Getting ready for a track day i hope.

Goldie
Haha yea, well i hit 2 tracks with the alcons already but the pads i put on were absolutely rubbish ! lol

Need to grab some Ferodo pads next..

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Mines Ferrado 2500 no brake squeel

Goldie
Really? The RS29 pads make a little noise :runaway: and by little a mean LOTS!

How are the Ferrodo on track?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Really? The RS29 pads make a little noise :runaway: and by little a mean LOTS!

How are the Ferrodo on track?
Cant compair against any think but standard.
My cars running AP hookits Discs and F/2500 pads,
No brake noise at all. and either im a loon or the brakes are amazing because im ussually last on the brakes on track.

Goldie

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Cant compair against any think but standard.
My cars running AP hookits Discs and F/2500 pads,
No brake noise at all. and either im a loon or the brakes are amazing because im ussually last on the brakes on track.

Goldie
Thanks

And how long have the combo lasted? How many track days?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Done 5 Tracks including Spa and Silverstone twice,
They still look great,
And no noise

Goldie

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Go for Pagid RS29's, nothing better as far as i'm concerned. A huge uplift in stopping power over the stock GT-R pads.

Also going to question the point earlier about small cracks in discs emanating from the drill holes. I'd not heard these are MOT failure items.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
If you want an Mot then come see me..i wont say anymore incase i breach any forum rules but pm me and we can talk..Mods if i shouldn't have posted this please delete and advise where i can advertise my business..woody

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
my MOT is due in a months time my Front disks have very slight cracks coming from the holes as you all know it is a common fault on the original disks. has anyone had an MOT failure due to this problem?
Just out of curiosity, how many miles have the discs done? My first GT-R had thermal cracking around the stupid disc holes at around 10k miles, but my current one still has no cracks at 18k miles, both driven in the same manner.

Incidently, the first GT-R I made the 'cracked' discs last 28k miles no problem, then sold it. Hairline 'star' cracks are unsightly but not dangerous, they won't fail an MOT.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts