GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would happen to the oil pressure if the bottom end Bearing clearances were too tight on a freshly built engine

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
usually clearance is 2 thou, if you are assembling it and the clearance is less sort it out then, dont build it tight, firstly it will bind and could spin a bearing. the gap is there to keep the crank from touching the block using oil to fill it, if you build it too loose oil pressure can suffer unless a higher pressure/volume pump is used.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh know what you mean just trying to work out what has happened to my engine because I had it all built then once it had been running a few Mins the oil pressure would drop right down what could cause this

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh I know that but not from 4 bar to 1 I don't let it get any lower normally on tickover on my old engine it was atleast 2

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Remenber, pressure is resistance to flow, so high pressure can mean block oil gallerys. What oil sender are you using?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Tight bearing clearances raise oil pressure, up to the point they are so tight as to wipe out the oil film and metal / metal contact occurs. If you are worried about oil pressure the first thing to do is install a proper, calibrated, MECHANICAL oil gauge reading the main oil gallery pressure. Electric gauges and sender units are notoriously unreliable and senders are often temperature sensitive, unless yo buy high end stuff like Bosch Motorsport, Stack, et cetera. The HKS and most other Jap after market gauges are built for glitz and profit margin, not accuracy and reliability. How are you reading the pressure?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
low oil pressure will be two things, bearing clearance to great/oil pump old and worn poor pressure, or faulty oil pressure sender unit. do you know what clearance the bearings were built to, is it a new oil pump?. what make of oil pump, senders do fail alot on these cars too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The crank should turn freely by hand once the bearings are torqued up. Even good stock oil senders are very slow to react, I've put a greddy press guage in mine and it shows the stock one up. on a fresh built motor its worth hanging a capillary guage over the motor.

·
Registered
752 Posts
where do you guys generally get the pressure signal from? Could you just put the gauge outside facing the cabin for safety issues?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts