GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a bit of difficulty trying to get a torque wrench that can do the massive torque of 360lb-ft. I've tried a few hire shops but no luck.

I'd like to know what other people have done?

Is there an angle figure available?

Cheers

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Just to it up as tight as you can.

360 lbs/ft = 50kg/m

Eg, if you place 50kg's on the end of a 1 meter bar, you have 50kg/m

Sooo, if you can get a 1m breaker bar(which I have) you can do it.

Use Loctite threadlocker too.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye. 2 bags of cement on the end of a 1 meter bar..

Anyone tried using a torque multiplier?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Now I find this a bit worrying!
I've just replaced my cambelt today and following some instructions found on the web for doing the job on an RB25 I have tightened mine to 150Nm, which is nowhere near 360lb/ft.
It was an absolute bitch to get it undone. Took a 4' breaker bar, a 3/4" drive socket and one hell of a pull!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a bad experience with this.

Sometime ago I bought a diesel run about which had a recent cambelt change. However the crank bolt had not been tightend up enough and came lose allowing the pulley to work free. Basically the aux belt came off once the pulley had come lose. Both the pulley and key insert where damaged.

A trip down to the scrap yard for another pully and key fixed everything.

Hence I'm quite cautious now.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R32Combat, Loctite, hmmm, are you sure about that one as Nissan state engine oil for the bolt.

But I can see what your trying to do.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Now I find this a bit worrying!
I've just replaced my cambelt today and following some instructions found on the web for doing the job on an RB25 I have tightened mine to 150Nm, which is nowhere near 360lb/ft.
It was an absolute bitch to get it undone. Took a 4' breaker bar, a 3/4" drive socket and one hell of a pull!

The RB25 needs a lower torque figure than the RB26.

Simon

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
They say oil the bolt so the torque figure exerts the correct tension on the bolt. Loctite is also a lubricant before it sets so it will also give the correct tensoin on the bolt.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got a friendly call from Mark (sorry, that was an assumption, it may not have been Mark) at Abbey this morning, confirming that I need to do mine much, much tighter!
I have found a torque wrench that goes up to 500Nm. You need to go see a friendly HGV service garage.
Back under the bonnet tomorrow then.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I managed to buy a torque wrench which goes up to 410lb-ft. So its all back together now and runs well.

Thanks for all the advice. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts