GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please anyone can help me with the question about rb26 crankshaft.

Is there any difference between crankshafts from different GTRs (32-33-34)??

I have two opinions: first is that all is the same.

And some strange but very hard opinion that in some very early engines the cranks necks is narrow, and after they become wider.

So on this crank the oil pump is not fixed across all its width, but only in a half. It is bad because when the power is higher then stock, the probability that crank will break the pump (internal gear) exists. On such a crank is not advisable to start with a cut-off (it can break the oil pump) and turn the above 8000 rev (can break the oil pump).

So please can you kindly share your knowledge?

·
Registered
500 Posts
the oil drives are the only differences. r32/r33/r34 cranks all drop into any rb26 block.

so as you said, early r32 crank has the 10mm oil pump drive.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You can get an extended oil pump drive collar fitted if you have an early r32 crank

Cheap mod that you'd be mad not to do!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get an extended oil pump drive collar fitted if you have an early r32 crank

Cheap mod that you'd be mad not to do!!

Cheers,
If I understand you wright it is cheap, but I'm not looking for cheap.
I try to understand is it appropriate to use this kind of crank?

Or is it critical and it's better to find crank from later models?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
if your crank is ok then fit a collar for the oil pump drive, it will cost as much as having a later used crank checked and polished

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It's not critical, in that there are plenty of GTR32's that go around with 450bhp and never suffered an oil pump failure due to the short drive (mine for example before piston failure), but it just increases the chances of a failure, which is increased if you use high revs (over 7.5K) and/or bounce it off the limiter.

If the engine is apart, fit the larger oil pump drive.

Simples!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts