GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any advice on this please; GTR Black edition on an 09 plate.

I have had the optimisation done but did mention to the HPC that the car tends to 'die' sometimes at junctions and the odd roundabout. basically where i nearly come to a standstill it will take a few moments to come back to life and feels like it is about to stall. This happens in automatic.

Also, sometimes in reverse gear it makes a crunching noise during the manouvre. It only happens for a second but it doesn't sound right to me, any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, forgot to add to that. The HPC basically said that the spluttering sometimes happens and offered no more than that as an explanation but i am sure that the car should be more fluid.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts

I have had the optimisation done but did mention to the HPC that the car tends to 'die' sometimes at junctions and the odd roundabout. basically where i nearly come to a standstill it will take a few moments to come back to life and feels like it is about to stall. This happens in automatic.

Also, sometimes in reverse gear it makes a crunching noise during the manouvre. It only happens for a second but it doesn't sound right to me, any ideas?
It tends to hold onto 2nd gear for as long as possible, almost down to a complete stop.
So if you happen to be flooring it just as it is reluctantly changing down to 1st, you can get the hesitation you describe. Certainly shouldn't be close to stalling though!

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
The hesitation at junctions is certainly my biggest gripe with the car. 200 milliseconds my arse. It certainly made me feel rather uncomfortable one more than one occassion when trying to get out of a junction quickly.

The best way to combat this is using the paddles and selecting 1st gear before the car comes to a standstill. No way around it auto that i can find.

As for crunching noises, that certainly doesnt sound right. I hear/feel a few mechanical clunks, but never crunches or grinding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hesitation at junctions is certainly my biggest gripe with the car. 200 milliseconds my arse. It certainly made me feel rather uncomfortable one more than one occassion when trying to get out of a junction quickly.

The best way to combat this is using the paddles and selecting 1st gear before the car comes to a standstill. No way around it auto that i can find.

As for crunching noises, that certainly doesnt sound right. I hear/feel a few mechanical clunks, but never crunches or grinding.
Yes it is quite annoying but judging by the two welcomed comments so far it seems it is the norm. It's just not a nice feeling when you are trying to get out of a junction and have an Eddie Stobart bearing down on you. I do hear the odd clunk now and then and must admit i started going off the car and was casting a beady eye on the 370Z. I will take it down to Tonbridge motorline and have them look at what the crunching noise could be.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Yep, the box does take an eternity to drop to first even in manual with the box auto downshifting. I get around it by pulling the downshift paddle several times as I slow to a near stop. Then I'm always in 1st.

As for swapping it for a 370z....

get out of here you freak!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hmmmmm

This was my biggest beef with the VW DSG boxes - they always want to be in a higer gear - so you get the hesitation (not quite a smart, but hey the 'no-mans-land' on the box)

The only box that does not do this was the BMW box where it always has a lower gear pre-selected, so it was ready to race at all times !

·
Registered
352 Posts
This was my biggest beef with the VW DSG boxes - they always want to be in a higer gear - so you get the hesitation (not quite a smart, but hey the 'no-mans-land' on the box)

The only box that does not do this was the BMW box where it always has a lower gear pre-selected, so it was ready to race at all times !
Erm, my M3 was a nigtmare in this respect and was much worse than the GTR :(

·
Registered
760 Posts

Re the crunching noise in reverse. Do you get this only when the car is cold and with some lock applied (eg reversing off your drive in the morning)? If so, it's noise from the diff and completely normal. If you are getting it witout lock applied or when the car is warm, that's not normal (at least in my experience).

Other point re the selection of 1st - I get this too occasionally. I tend to drive in manual and normally snick it into neutral just before coming to a standstill. When you pull back into drive it'll select 1st if you are stationary at that point or 2nd if you are rolling. Either way you should have no problems getting a clean getaway.

Odd times I've left it late to change down when, say, rolling up to a roundabout and have found that the car has dropped 2 gears when I downshift - think it's because the auto downchange is kicking in at the same time as I'm pulling the downshift paddle, then it bangs into 1st with an embarrassing jerk. Just makes you concentrate a bit more next time. I think we are all just learning to live with the noises - part of the character of the car and all that.

Re the 370Z - don't do it! Not a bad car but nowhere near the same GT-R league. Having driven a 370 at the race Academy last week, it really makes you appreocaite the GT-R. The 370's tranny felt like it had massive gaps between cogs - almost like changing up 2 at a time. You forget how spoilt you are from driving a car with the GTRs cracking drivetrain.

Mick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re the crunching noise in reverse. Do you get this only when the car is cold and with some lock applied (eg reversing off your drive in the morning)? If so, it's noise from the diff and completely normal. If you are getting it witout lock applied or when the car is warm, that's not normal (at least in my experience).

Other point re the selection of 1st - I get this too occasionally. I tend to drive in manual and normally snick it into neutral just before coming to a standstill. When you pull back into drive it'll select 1st if you are stationary at that point or 2nd if you are rolling. Either way you should have no problems getting a clean getaway.

Odd times I've left it late to change down when, say, rolling up to a roundabout and have found that the car has dropped 2 gears when I downshift - think it's because the auto downchange is kicking in at the same time as I'm pulling the downshift paddle, then it bangs into 1st with an embarrassing jerk. Just makes you concentrate a bit more next time. I think we are all just learning to live with the noises - part of the character of the car and all that.

Re the 370Z - don't do it! Not a bad car but nowhere near the same GT-R league. Having driven a 370 at the race Academy last week, it really makes you appreocaite the GT-R. The 370's tranny felt like it had massive gaps between cogs - almost like changing up 2 at a time. You forget how spoilt you are from driving a car with the GTRs cracking drivetrain.

Mick
Yes, pretty much when i am parking up a hill in reverse is when i get the crunching noise, and to be honest, it's usually when my Wife is driving it. The engine could be cold after 4 hours continual driving with her driving it to be honest. I may just get her a 370 so she can leave my car alone!! :D Anyway, thanks for the relpies lads, i called the HPC and am driving it down next week for them to look at. I thought i had done some damage at Brands Hatch last week when i was terrorising the porche 911 all day.

Dunno why but for some reason porche drivers tend to dislike me nowadays. They were my friends when i had a Range rover and Datsun 120Y:p

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
this is all typical stuff for the GTR

I let it self change down coing to a roundabout then flick a paddle to push it into first for a quick getaway if a gap appears

reversing noisies are normal, I have to turn 90 degrees in reverse to get on my drive and you hear clonking noises from the rear axels, all normal according to middlehurst

R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts