GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here...

Just a quick post to see if anyone has gone from a CSL to a GTR. I will be buying a GTR in March and have only ever been in german marques before, so looking forward to the difference. Had a test drive from the Romford dealer and was blown away by this beast...

Have just recently sold my CSL, which is a phenomenal car and gives you everything you could want in a car really, so would be interesting to read of any owner who has had the two cars and how they compare....

Thanks

Nate

·
Registered
358 Posts
... never driven a CSL but I recall a certain Mr. Button from Frome used to drive a CSL and he's just bought a GT-R... and another for his manager. I think you're going to right way and you will be in stary eyed love with your new toy!

PS welcome and have fun at the Forum... I'm addicted :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I imagine it's like a GTR on a lot of steriods minus the noise :D

CSL is probably a lot cheaper to run as a track car though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've come from Audi (RS4) to the GTR and thus far I must say the car is surprisingly rattle free! Early days mind. In terms of performance the GTR is in a different league to the RS4......and I'm totally stock at the mo. Only 3 weeks into ownership but I've not stopped smiling or had such positive feedback from so many people. I've stopped going to B&Q as I can never get away from petrol heads that want to chat. My missus thinks I'm having a fling with the burger girl in the car park! ;) You wont regret the move.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've had a couple of m3's smg and once come close to buying a csl but after much deliberation i thought they were overpriced (then) imho.Fastforward until today after r34's, fezzas and porsches im currently waiting for my gtr in march.Its been the only car thats made me want to buy new,its nimble,chuckable,modern and unlike the csl you dont have to compromise on any issues for all this performance.
You wont miss the beemer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
why did You sold CSL? One of best cars ever made. I can tell You that CSL vs GTR is night and day difference. GTR is faster yes, but CSL is sooo much more fun. Lighter, smaller, fantastic sound, 8,3k rpm etc...

Wish I have bigger garage so I can accomodate one CSL some day

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
why did You sold CSL? One of best cars ever made. I can tell You that CSL vs GTR is night and day difference. GTR is faster yes, but CSL is sooo much more fun. Lighter, smaller, fantastic sound, 8,3k rpm etc...

Wish I have bigger garage so I can accomodate one CSL some day
How about a Skoda mate? You reckon CSL is sooooooooo much more fun than the GTR?? I have driven both and had CSL myself, I think you are way exagirating pal. The GTR in circuit feels very mechanical and is a lot more fun than you think. Over all the GTR is definitely a better car end of.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I currently have a CSL and I am thinking of buying a GTR soon :thumbsup:

I don't use the CSL everday though so if I was to buy a GTR I would have to sell my Mini Cooper S and CSL so therefore I would have to use the GTR everyday.

Do people use their GTR's everyday (~15K a year)?

Wonder how the service costs compare to the CSL as I think the CSL's inspII service is a silly price!!!!

angelus666 is the power of the GTR in a different league to the CSL when you drive both? Or could you not really open it up on the test drive?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I currently have a CSL and I am thinking of buying a GTR soon :thumbsup:

angelus666 is the power of the GTR in a different league to the CSL when you drive both? Or could you not really open it up on the test drive?
It would be like comparing a Mini Cooper to a Cooper S...it is so much faster the CSL would be left for dead :runaway:

·
Registered
565 Posts
If it helps any i had a CSL previously and my car was far from standard.

It was played with and had the full Thorney Motorsport treatment including K&W's and AP upgrade.

I loved my CSL but seriously once you go into a GTR you will NEVER look back.

Yeah the CSL's were addictive especially when they came on tap with that lovely inductor noise but not in the same league i am afraid.

The grip levels on the GTR even with what i was used to are leagues above the CSL again even with Cup tyres on if you have ever had the pleasure of them on your CSL???

You will not be disapointed i PROMISE you!!!

Yeah the CSL was lighter and the noise was addictive as hell but the rear wheel drive grip is nowhere near that of the GTR.

You will miss your proper CSL launches though, but hey we can't have our cake and eat it...lol

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
211 Posts
How about a Skoda mate? You reckon CSL is sooooooooo much more fun than the GTR?? I have driven both and had CSL myself, I think you are way exagirating pal. The GTR in circuit feels very mechanical and is a lot more fun than you think. Over all the GTR is definitely a better car end of.
well, yes Skoda is fine why not, buy Czech product, support our economy :)

and maybe You see it else, but in my eyes the CSL is more fun than GTR. yes GTR is way faster, but for me just for fun .. CSL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had CSL from 2003-2006. Loved it. Will buy one again.

GTR and CSL are very different beasts.

GTR is massively faster, massively more grippy.

I can get to the limits of a CSL on track very easily and get near on the road.

GTR - have not got there yet.

CSL is like a hot hatch to a GTR: fun and exploitable and makes some nice noises but like a Clio on an EVO group test....

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you only have small roads where you cannot carry major speed then CSL, otherwise GTR.

CSL has good balance & grip but still slips nicely a bit around tight corners. Its brakes are perfectly judged for the road (and famously inadequate for the track). It makes exceptional noises! Open it up on an A road or better and it feels pretty slow even in the first two gears. Gearchange is slow and when you speed it up becomes violent. You need to ease in the gears with some throttle.

On many roads the GTR feels absolutely too much for the road but rather than be dysfunctional at low speed, e.g. like a race car, it just feels asleep and dull. Once you get the thing to open up, its diabolically alive! The two things that still amaze and amuse are: extraordinary lateral grip levels for a road car AND full, four-wheel wheelspin alongside remarkable acceleration :D

Subjectively, to me the CSL has half the grip and traction/acceleration in terms of impact on driver/passeger, it really is a hot hatch to a GTR - with both advantages and disadvantages :runaway:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the opinions chaps, much appreciated....seems as though you have an active and opinionated site, which is what you want really...!

Here is how I see it....

I had a good 90 minutes in the GTR on a mixture of roads...I have done a fair bit of track work and have decent enough car control (few pro course days), so the Nissan chap said I was ok to push the car a fair bit.......which I did. Firstly, what I liked about the car is the mechanical feel it has, you somehow feel the gearbox doing it's thing at low speeds, and it isn't that smooth (when compared to other DSG) which I like and hasn't completely removed the feeling of executing a good timely gear change. Then the speed I could carry in it just amazed me....no other car I have driven (on the road) has felt as fast or as capable. It just leaves everything standing, the grip is ridiculous for such a big car, you have remind yourself you are driving a very big (made for the US market) car, not an elise. I have a lost of praise for the GTR. Bad points, well the interior is terrible, looks cheap and feels no more special than any other Jap car.......but you take into account the price and there has to be a compromise somewhere. Does CA Automotive do CF interiors for the GTR....?

How does the CSL compare, bearing in mind I had one for 3 years, so biased. Well, firstly it is much slower....has far less grip....and looks much less dramatic.........but, somehow doesn't feel less of a car because of it. On our roads the CSL feels just about the right amount of power, balance and grip, allowing the driver to have a bit of fun on every drive.....and yes the noise (a very important part) is about as good as any car at any price.

Overall, they are different in many ways, but they are comparable being everyday 4 seater coupes with a big boot. My thoughts, I do think the CSL is more fun, more of the time...these are road cars, so being able to exploit their limit at sensible speeds on the road is important and from my 90 mins the GTR is just so good it seems as though it may take big speeds to get near the limit.

I am looking forward to owning the GTR.....at the very least it seems a sensible buy really. No one wants to lose £30k in 2 years motoring (read M6), so hopefully residuals will stay strong on it for the next couple of years......also look forward to taking part on this forum too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you only have small roads where you cannot carry major speed then CSL, otherwise GTR.

CSL has good balance & grip but still slips nicely a bit around tight corners. Its brakes are perfectly judged for the road (and famously inadequate for the track). It makes exceptional noises! Open it up on an A road or better and it feels pretty slow even in the first two gears. Gearchange is slow and when you speed it up becomes violent. You need to ease in the gears with some throttle.

On many roads the GTR feels absolutely too much for the road but rather than be dysfunctional at low speed, e.g. like a race car, it just feels asleep and dull. Once you get the thing to open up, its diabolically alive! The two things that still amaze and amuse are: extraordinary lateral grip levels for a road car AND full, four-wheel wheelspin alongside remarkable acceleration :D

Subjectively, to me the CSL has half the grip and traction/acceleration in terms of impact on driver/passeger, it really is a hot hatch to a GTR - with both advantages and disadvantages :runaway:
Excellent assessment....pretty much exactly how I feel.....well done that man! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts