GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a carbon fibre garage defender on a group buy. However, it wont fit without cutting a hole in it about 20mm in diameter. Can anyone recommend an appropriate drill bit/ step drill etc. to use. I don't want to bugger it up by using the wrong tool.

TIA

mf.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
A nice sharp carbide drill will make a lovely job of it, but failing that, a very sharp 20mm HSS drill on a nice flat surface. The art is to get the cut to be crisp at the surface. Slow speeds will cut nicely. I would personally take it to a workshop somewhere and let them do it.
If i was closer, i would do it for you.:sadwavey:

·
Registered
5 Posts
A standard 20mm flat bit will work fine as long as you have some timber/ mdf cramped behind where the hole is going to avoid breakout and allow the point of the drill to follow into , as will a hole saw . A forsner bit is ideal , designed to cut rather than saw giving a cleaner finish , these are the bits used to cut kitchen hinges .trick is USE A SHARP NEW BIT.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My suggestion for cutting a carbon bonnet to take a air scoop would be to use a high speed dremel with a 1/8 cutter on the maximum speed. My flush mounted bonnet pins were cut in this way with out problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts