GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheeky I know but does anyone have any diagrams, documents or instructions to help me change the outer CV gaitor on front drivers side r32 GTR....?

·
Registered
246 Posts
disconnect gubbings from hub like lower arm, front tie rod, track rod etc, to give a nice 'swing'...

undo hub nut

pull out drive shaft from hub...

easier to cut the larger clip securing the inner cv as getting the inner joint out the diff (to my experience) is near enough impossible (was even a cnut with the engine out!)

the spider will then come off the inner joint via removing the circlip

sort out boots..

rebuild :)

will be doin mine again shortly as shaft i put on had knackered gaitors, but was a 'quick' fix...

·
Registered
412 Posts
i did my drivers side outer cv boot a couple of weeks ago, i didnt need to remove drive shaft from diff, i undone track rod end, undid the 2 bolts holding the bottom ball joint (because i couldnt split the ball joint) undid the little bar thing at the back (dont know what its called but its a 13 or 14 mm spanner) undid the big nut on end of driveshaft (34mm i think) turned hub and pulled shaft from it, bent the end of the shaft downwards and gave a light tap with a hammer behind cv joint and it just popped off, put new boot and clips onto the shaft, fitted new snap ring onto shaft (comes with boot kit) have the opening of the clip at the top, push cv joint back onto shaft untill your against the snap ring then use a very small screwdriver to poke the snap ring into cv groove, give joint a tug just to make sure snap ring clipped ito place ok, fasten small clip, fill with grease (supplied in kit) fit big clip, poke shaft back into hub and tighten everything back up, all done !!!
i dont know if this was the correct way to do it but it was easy to do and its still ok now (i checked yesterday while fitting new suspension)

·
Registered
587 Posts
i did my drivers side outer cv boot a couple of weeks ago, i didnt need to remove drive shaft from diff, i undone track rod end, undid the 2 bolts holding the bottom ball joint (because i couldnt split the ball joint) undid the little bar thing at the back (dont know what its called but its a 13 or 14 mm spanner) undid the big nut on end of driveshaft (34mm i think) turned hub and pulled shaft from it, bent the end of the shaft downwards and gave a light tap with a hammer behind cv joint and it just popped off, put new boot and clips onto the shaft, fitted new snap ring onto shaft (comes with boot kit) have the opening of the clip at the top, push cv joint back onto shaft untill your against the snap ring then use a very small screwdriver to poke the snap ring into cv groove, give joint a tug just to make sure snap ring clipped ito place ok, fasten small clip, fill with grease (supplied in kit) fit big clip, poke shaft back into hub and tighten everything back up, all done !!!
i dont know if this was the correct way to do it but it was easy to do and its still ok now (i checked yesterday while fitting new suspension)

After u have undone the trackrod end / Tie rod and driveshaft nut how far will the hub swing, is it easy to slide the shaft out of the hub ?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
you don't have to remove the track rod end from the hub, just the lower arm, tie bar and the drop link

·
Registered
234 Posts
Had mine today on the car, thought the mechanic had a problem getting a new gaiter from nissan, he had to take the old one there so they could match up the correct on :eek:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
part numbers are on here for nissan and ADL parts

·
Registered
587 Posts
you don't have to remove the track rod end from the hub, just the lower arm, tie bar and the drop link

done this ,, but whats the drop link ? , and will the hub turn enough to be able to push the driveshaft out of the hub?
:confused:

·
Registered
587 Posts
33gtr cv boot kit extras??

:confused: helllllllp,,,, i have an offside cv boot kit for r33 gtr and the 2 split rings in the kit dont seem to fit anywhere, i have looked through my manuals and forum info but i cant find it being mentioned. I have the split ring for keeping the cv secure at the end of the shaft, and the boot fastner rings. has anyone fitted an offside cv boot kit to their 33gtr:confused:

·
Registered
246 Posts
the clip's provided on the skyline nissan kits not only cater for the boot ur changin but for the other end too so you can strip either side of the driveshaft to change the boot...

·
Registered
587 Posts
ahhh i saw that on the diagram, so thats what they are for, so if i work from the inner boot end i dont need them ?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
anyone have any good tricks at extending the life of these damned boots? It happened all the time to my B13 SE-R, and now my R32 GTR...GRR!

·
Registered
246 Posts
buy spare 1's... then the car will 'know' you have spares and not bother breaking it ;) if u aint got a spare the car will chuckle away to it self and keep breaking them for the sake of it :)

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I wondered why the brake dust on the inside of the nearside wheel had grease in it:mad:
That's another one for my car as well:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts