GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically fitted a new set of D2 coilovers to my R33 some time back set as they came out of the box, using factory settings. I now want to have a play around with different settings.....
There were no instructions with the kit as to how or where to adjust the bump and rebound, the top cap with the long hex drive is obviously one adjuster (bump or rebound ??) any ideas which this is and how to adjust the other.
Many thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
the top hex thingies should adjust damping stiffness. is there an adjusting screw/knob towards the bottom of the struts? - as this is the usual place for bump/rebound adjusting. And preload is adjustable by screwing the springs up, but I wouldn't recommend it!!!

Pop the car round any time (or I'll come round) and we can have a play with the settings, if you like???

Steve:)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
those are single adjustment for both bound and rebound. basially it get stiffer bound and stiffer rebound at the same time similar to most of the Jap products. Seprated bound and rebound suspension is ALOT more expansive.

put it on, try it slowly. I would first try without any preload on the springs, then go on from there. adjust the height you want, and dail the damper in slowly from soft to hard, thats how I do it.

What I did is find a bumpy road. put everything full soft and drive over it. after the bump, you car will wobble... keep turning the damper adjuster to harder until the wobble dissapear. Repeat for the back.

Works VERY well on my CRX. Will get a set for my R32 in the near future.

oh, if you want it stiffer, put on about 5mm of preload, not a bad idea really.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents........
Nocturnal clockwise or counter clockwise to soften damping the markings aren't clear ?? Finding a bumpy road around here wont be difficult.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Sorry, I am not 100% sure. I am pretty sure clock wise to harden, and counter clock to soften.

When you turn it, you can see the key sink into the damper. if you turn it the other way, it raise up.

The raise up position is the softest. fully raise up the key, then make sure the arrow is pointed at the 1 position (1 drop of oil picture) by taking the key out and putting it back in the correct position, and adjust away.

It isn't too hard once you get the hang of it. After a month of driving or so, you will notice that every little bit makes a difference and can adjust to what suit you.

I had my suspension quite hard on my CRX as I was running 195/60/14 tires, and the 60 profile was just too high. So harder suspension mean I load up the tires faster. If I get another chance, I would of use 195/55/15 Toyo T1-R, but the car is sold now. :(

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's right Steve... had a very helpful mail back from Kenny at Impulse Performance. Clockwise to stiffen - Counter clockwise to soften. Both bump and rebound are adjusted together on one adjuster at the top of the damper.
He also suggested that the spring preload could be reduced to help with the cr*p roads but this will obviously introduce more roll..... bigger anti roll bars next then.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts