GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have searched the forums and the internet for a while on this but so far without any luck.

I would like to install DAB in to the R35 and I have seen how others have done it with the Pure and Alpine units that can sit in the cupholder.

What I would like to do is slightly different. I would like to have a DAB unit that connected the GTR headunit via bluetooth.

I maybe completely wrong on this but having recently heard the difference between DAB and FM in a Range Rover Sport, I was sold on the idea of getting it. However, I was told that the quality of the sound is due to it being digital and therefore any form of FM modulation or connection to the head unit via the via the FM Radio would negate the benefit of having the digital radio (other than there being more choice...).

So far I have been unable to find a product that could do what I am looking for as one unit.

If I am barking up the wrong tree, I would grateful of a point in the right direction.

Thanks,

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi - I have searched the forums and the internet for a while on this but so far without any luck.

I would like to install DAB in to the R35 and I have seen how others have done it with the Pure and Alpine units that can sit in the cupholder.

What I would like to do is slightly different. I would like to have a DAB unit that connected the GTR headunit via bluetooth.

I maybe completely wrong on this but having recently heard the difference between DAB and FM in a Range Rover Sport, I was sold on the idea of getting it. However, I was told that the quality of the sound is due to it being digital and therefore any form of FM modulation or connection to the head unit via the via the FM Radio would negate the benefit of having the digital radio (other than there being more choice...).

So far I have been unable to find a product that could do what I am looking for as one unit.

If I am barking up the wrong tree, I would grateful of a point in the right direction.

Thanks,
I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong but, I think if you have a very high quality signal to start (DAB) and transmit over FM a very short distance you should still retain a very high percentage of the original high quality signal.

Best thing to do is talk to Andy (as5606) on the forum who is doing all sorts of marvellous stuff with R35 audio gear and I'm sure this will be on his "to do" or "doing it now" lists.

I think he will come up with a DAB solution soon I'll bet.

Satan

Satan

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I think Satan is right although I'm not sure why Andy would know any better, signal integrity is not really his field.

Look up dabmotion, it's the best option.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't know of any device that can help you but I can say that, whatever advantages you have with having a dab signal, you will lose it immediately if listening via Bluetooth, the sound quality is awful. I know what you mean though, I love listening to 6Music and obviously dab is the only way on the move.

I'm now fortunate that in my car I can tether via my phone 4g signal and have TuneIn radio that way.

Good luck with your search.

PS have you tried playing TuneIn radio via Bluetooth? You never know....

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
TuneIn Radio App over A2DP (Bluetooth) is my preferred way. But, I am on unlimited data.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I use napster on Samnsung S5 connected to car stereo via bluetooth. Quality is excellent to the point I can't tell the difference between that and a wired connection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also use TuneIn radio app, which works great and would save any DAB challenges. I have unlimited data as well, which helps.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I also use TuneIn radio app, which works great and would save any DAB challenges. I have unlimited data as well, which helps.
It works very well.
I'm in holiday build up mode, listening to local Las Vegas radio on my way to work :D

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am seriously considering a GTR as my next car but will miss the dab my current car has.
How come Nissan still do not offer this on a tech heavy car like the GTR?
My M3 has dab and internet functions and the upcoming M4, which im also considering will be even better equipped, so Nissan needs to catch up in this area.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I am seriously considering a GTR as my next car but will miss the dab my current car has.
How come Nissan still do not offer this on a tech heavy car like the GTR?
My M3 has dab and internet functions and the upcoming M4, which im also considering will be even better equipped, so Nissan needs to catch up in this area.
I had DAB in my cars, but it's really not the be all and end all.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Hence the A2DP over 3G/4G

·
Registered
600 Posts
I also use tunein,the only thing I find is that sometimes my z1 does not connect straight away, number of stations is massive.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think Satan is right although I'm not sure why Andy would know any better, signal integrity is not really his field.

Look up dabmotion, it's the best option.
I wasn't suggesting Andy's expertise centred around "signal integrity" merely that he is well into both Hi-Fi and GT-R35 audio and if he can see a need I think he would be looking into it.

I'd never heard of tune in radio app so thanks for those that posted it up. Just need to persuade my boss to up my download allowance now!

Satan

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Probably on a par with DAB coverage.

·
Vendor
1,697 Posts
I had DAB in my 335d a few years ago and unless things have improved significantly, I wouldn't want it. Spent half the time in silence through poor reception. At least with FM it just goes a bit crackly every now and again but you can still hear it. Maybe the BMW system was crap but I didn't spec it, the previous owner did as it was an option.

Maybe on its strongest signal, its better quality than FM but then I have a phone full of high quality music which is even better and doesn't' go silent on me every few miles.

Same goes for apps. They work great when they work....3G drop means silence every so often. If you drive a route, say to work and back, which has good reception then these apps have got to be the way to go. We'll all soon have cars with 4G built in anyway....its da future :chuckle:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts