GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's only three weeks old and now it has got a mark on it. :bawling:

These images show the damage caused by a bird strike at about 50mph. It happened at the weekend during a short drive up to the Gaydon motor centre. We were driving along an A-road when a hawk of some kind swooped down in front of us. R.I.P.

We heard the thump but didn't feel anything. As you can see, the headlight washer has gone and the paint has hairline cracks in it. The bodyshop tells me that the bumper has deformed and then sprung back causing the paint to crack.

I have been told that this requires a new bumper because the paint damage will recur if the bumper is simply repainted.

I was susprised and had originally thought that it would be a much smaller repair. I've not had damage like this before, so I've got no experience in these matters. Now it looks like a 4-figure repair bill and the insurance company is now involved. They have authorised the repair but I'm waiting to hear when it can be done.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ah, man that sucks. I feel for you.

I hit a bird also, though mine was a little one that got its head wedged in the raditor grille above the reg plate. Poor little thing was still warm when I got to my destination and someone pointed it out to me.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Bad luck mate as least your bonnet dampers didn't go off :)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Ah, man that sucks. I feel for you.

I hit a bird also, though mine was a little one that got its head wedged in the raditor grille above the reg plate. Poor little thing was still warm when I got to my destination and someone pointed it out to me.
pmsl :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
NEWS FLASH

Owners of the new GTR are warned that there headlight washers are in danger of theft from speeding hawks.

Gutted for you mate.

Robbie

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i am not quite sure how the paint will crack again unless you hit something, or is because the bumper is weak now??

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
i am not quite sure how the paint will crack again unless you hit something, or is because the bumper is weak now??
Hitting a hawk at 50 will flex the paint both ways and will put micro cracks in it.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
new on a gtr, swapped to a carbon one

ie low mileage, my spare is a better colour match than the original

you can cut the headlight washers back in or go for the cleaner JDM look

R

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. Those were my thoughts too. I'm told that the underlying plastic has now been weakened and that the paint will eventually go again if the bumper is repainted. I suppose that the paint is subjected to tiny flexes and will eventually crack over time. This is really not something I know about, to be honest.

I guess the plastics are designed to be sacrificial in the event of a bump in order to protect the rest of the car. I've no idea what the cost of this 'accident-consumable' is though.

Matty, thanks for the info. For now, though, I'm leaving it to the bodyshop and insurance company to sort it out. Its good to know that there are people like you that can support us.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
new second hand?? or do you mean new or second hand?

blessed they didnt pop though, hear its an expensive fix.
did the bird break a perfect rectangle in the bumper?? weird, bad luck man, say your gutted.
No. The bumper has not actually broken or even visibly cracked. The hole is normally covered by the headlamp washer. I've cleaned it up now and given it a polish. Now you can only see the damage if you are close up (apart from the hole left by the missing washer cover).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Without trying to sound like a know it all or big myself up in anyway, I've been painting cars for the past 20yrs, and I now own an insurance approved bodyshop with two sites, and there is no way I'd put a bumper on that. Unless I was trying to screw the insurance company, but you never know sometimes.
It looks like stress cracks in the paint caused by modern Two Pack HS Clear Coats being less flexable than the plastic. ie, the plastic bends and goes back into shape, but the paint its self cracks.
I keep reading how hard UMS is to paint and match, it is done slightly different, but I've painted it with no problems at all, we can even mix it!
I cant help but think so many people and companys are milking GTR's and their drivers for all there worth!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
it does seem a bit extreme doesnt it, i would have thought as long as its rubbed down properly and prepped correctly then it would be fine, but im no bodyshop expert unlike above

·
Registered
290 Posts
Without trying to sound like a know it all or big myself up in anyway, I've been painting cars for the past 20yrs, and I now own an insurance approved bodyshop with two sites, and there is no way I'd put a bumper on that. Unless I was trying to screw the insurance company, but you never know sometimes.
It looks like stress cracks in the paint caused by modern Two Pack HS Clear Coats being less flexable than the plastic. ie, the plastic bends and goes back into shape, but the paint its self cracks.
I keep reading how hard UMS is to paint and match, it is done slightly different, but I've painted it with no problems at all, we can even mix it!
I cant help but think so many people and companys are milking GTR's and their drivers for all there worth!
Don't fancy moving to Scotland do you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
second hand bumpers are cheaper than nissan body shop repair, thats why

·
Registered
889 Posts
I dont know anything about painting cars.
Just an advice, when my 34 arrived it had similar cracks in the front splitter.
When the body shop i use told me that they could respray the splitter but the cracks would come back, i must admit i had trouble believing this.
So i payed them for a respray and slowly the cracks came back, not as visible as before but i should definately had listened to their advice:eek:

Terje.

·
Registered
129 Posts
second hand bumpers are cheaper than nissan body shop repair, thats why
I totally agree with you, Nissan repair price's are a joke, thats my point. But to me and any good paint shop, that is a simple repair.
As long and the stress cracks are removed and not just sanded down, there is no reason for that to cause any concern.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts