GTR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Overfilling is a common way of getting oil pressure at crank on a new build - usually due to the oil pump not having been primed correctly at build. Its possible the engine was cranked with no oil pressure, potenitally damaging the surface finish. Either this damage or crap in the oil holes / bores / etc has then been round the shells.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
these is no mention that the acl bearings are race bearings on this thread, only the race have a blue coating as far as i am aware?.these only have a single oil feed hole where as the race have three. i stand corrected and if wrong,sorry for miss information

·
Registered
25 Posts
No one has mentioned why the engine was rebuilt in the first place, Did it spit its guts internally and if so how was it all cleaned out, also if it was crank related before, is it the same crank, are the journals all o.k and are they more importantly round. Just some food for thought?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
these is no mention that the acl bearings are race bearings on this thread, only the race have a blue coating as far as i am aware?.these only have a single oil feed hole where as the race have three. i stand corrected and if wrong,sorry for miss information
The part number on the bearing is ACL race (although they are not STD HX series.

The race do come with a single oil feed hole, maybe your thinging of the ACL race RB26 mains which have a groove and 3 feed holes?

Rob

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No one has mentioned why the engine was rebuilt in the first place, Did it spit its guts internally and if so how was it all cleaned out, also if it was crank related before, is it the same crank, are the journals all o.k and are they more importantly round. Just some food for thought?
engine was rebuilt as the oil pump let go on it previously & as a result the crank was replaced as well as some other bits (i.e. exhaust cam, valves, bearings etc)
the scoring of the bearing was possibly caused from when it was belting the oil hole when it was undergoing those shockwave 'rattle' sounds. It could have also come from the oil pump (maybe?) as the engine had all the oil gallery plugs removed, and was acid bathed and brushed out so it can't be from there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
engine was rebuilt as the oil pump let go on it previously & as a result the crank was replaced as well as some other bits (i.e. exhaust cam, valves, bearings etc)
the scoring of the bearing was possibly caused from when it was belting the oil hole when it was undergoing those shockwave 'rattle' sounds. It could have also come from the oil pump (maybe?) as the engine had all the oil gallery plugs removed, and was acid bathed and brushed out so it can't be from there.
Was the oil filter pressure differential relief assy removed from the block to facilitate cleaning? if not plenty of crap will have been left there.
Jason

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
has anyone had a similar experience or heard of an engine where it has been overfilled and subsequent results have occured? I.e. Damaged big end bearings with a noisy bearing type of sound?

On google there are documented cases where customers cars have been overfilled and has damaged bearings, just wondering if the same has occured in a gtr?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pretty sure that result can be found in any engine where the crank/rods spin in oil. There would be a significant amount of resistance when the rotating mass hits a solid bath of oil rather then oily air.

Ive seen the same thing happen in a mates v8 that was way overfilled. Filled by the machanic who assembled the motor and him, not thinking it was filled after installing the motor into the car. Double dose of oil. Bearings were chewed up after the first couple of test drives.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Pretty sure that result can be found in any engine where the crank/rods spin in oil. There would be a significant amount of resistance when the rotating mass hits a solid bath of oil rather then oily air.

Ive seen the same thing happen in a mates v8 that was way overfilled. Filled by the machanic who assembled the motor and him, not thinking it was filled after installing the motor into the car. Double dose of oil. Bearings were chewed up after the first couple of test drives.
i know of a reputable engine builder who in fact built my previous rb26...i dropped his workshop today & he was telling me about 1 of his customers who did his own oil change @ home but he overfilled it, after driving it for 1 hour he screwed the bottom end bearings

i wanted to hear other stories such as your mates v8 which allows me to inform my mate that this has also happened with others out there, thanks for the info

21 - 31 of 31 Posts