GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Merry Christmas all,:wavey:
Anyone improved or cured a damp single garage, you know when you get that film of oxidation on tools & you worry what's happening to the car.
I've seen dehumidifiers & electric oil rads in DIY stores & wonder if they would solve the prob or just simply lessen it but make no worthwhile improvement. Anyone found an answer without going too £mad?:eek: Oh yeah & also anyone know the best product to keep that lovely engine alloy looking new.
Black/Gunmetallic/early 2010.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Dehumidifiers work really well, but simple ventilation is a good idea. Make sure no water is leaking in, too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
... or heat it, put a 42" screen on the wall and sit in your GTR instead of sitting in your living room whishing you were in the GTR... Simples... kik...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
De-humidifiers do work really well, but won't work when it's really cold. Then you'll need some heating as well and if your garage is badly insulated you'll need the heating on a lot.

We have two 1.5kW wall-heaters in our double garage and they really do the job, but I worked out yesterday that if they are both left on for 24hrs on full, which is needed to keep the garage to the same temperature as the house, then it costs £7.50 per day in electricity!

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
No necessary to have the temp too high, just enough to prevent condensation forming on surfaces which cool quicker, such as glass or metal. All to do with the "dew point" of water..

"Condensation can occur on any surface that is below the "dew point" of the air with which it is in contact. The "dew point" is the temperature at which condensation will occur for a given humidity level."

In the past I solved a similar problem by looking at this from 3 perspectives..

1. Improve ventilation to reduce humidity

This can range from ensuring adequate air flow under the eaves, to installing a humidity dependant fan (like used in showers etc)

Vent Axia Ecotronic Humidity Sensor - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

There are cheaper ones than this, but they all do the same thing.

2. Add cheap to run wall heaters to keep ambient air temp high enough to prevent condensation forming
Dimplex Tubular Heaters

Most of these only run at 60, 120 or 240w. Depending on the size of your garage, you may only need 2 x 120w heaters. Add a temp dependant switch and they'll only come on when needed.

3. Improve insulation

Simply adding Kingspan insulation to the walls and roof will keep heating costs down and maintain a more steady temp inside.

I did all of the above after running a heater in the garage for a day or so to really dry it out. After that, I have never had an issue again.

Hope that's helpful.

CC

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've got a breeze block up and over garage with no power or light! Why do I suddenly feel inadequate and a bad owner! :bawling:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Whats annoying is the width of the garage doors as compared to the GTR. I've currently got two single doors into a double garage and although there's plenty of room inside the garage, it's a real squeeze getting in, with about 2-3 inches either side.

I really miss my garage from a couple of houses ago, the door was 7 metres wide, that was great!

In reference to dew-points etc, thats correct for condensation, but the overall humidity will still cause rust/corrosion, even without condensation forming water on objects. The reason you need some heat is that the de-humidifiers don't work if it's too cold. My garage is normally kept at about 10c in the winter and the de-humidifier keeps it down to about 60% humidity. When I heat the garage to 20c, it keeps it down at 35% humidity. Without it on the humidity can be in the 80% range.

·
Registered
68 Posts
– insulate (to stop water vapour condensation on cold surfaces and reduce heating costs)

– air condition, ventilate & heat (to dehumidify, to stop water vapour condensation on cold surfaces and to make it more pleasant to get in the car on a clod morning)

– ionise (for freshness – particularly for "special" cars AKA "garage jewellery" that is rarely driven)

Klima-Lounge. Home for Cars | klimatisierte Garage, Klimatisierung für Garage, Klima-Überwachung für Automobile, klimatisierter Stellplatz, Klima-Stellplatz, Oldtimer Stellplatz, Lagerung von Oldtimern, Standschäden, Korrosion, Oxidation, Schimmelbil

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
You need a Car Coon !!!! I kid you not !! I kept BEUT in one untill I insulated the garage

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your helpful replies guys, here's to a happy GTR new year

Steve,
How much did your (size?) garage insulation cost?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Steve,
How much did your (size?) garage insulation cost?
Kingspan thermal boards cost upwards from £8 for a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet.

Buy Thermal Insulation Online - Planet Insulation

I used the 50mm sheets, and think I used around 20 sheets to also part do the roof on a 5x3m garage.

It's a piece of cake to fit, light and easy to cut with a hand saw. Also helped stop door incidents on the walls.

I just stuck it on the walls with "no nails" type adhesive. Took less than a morning.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Kingspan thermal boards cost upwards from £8 for a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet.

Buy Thermal Insulation Online - Planet Insulation

I used the 50mm sheets, and think I used around 20 sheets to also part do the roof on a 5x3m garage.

It's a piece of cake to fit, light and easy to cut with a hand saw. Also helped stop door incidents on the walls.

I just stuck it on the walls with "no nails" type adhesive. Took less than a morning.
is there anything you haven't turned your hand to ;)

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
2 missuses (sp?) and no garage....?

Not a chance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts