GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Do you run a rear wiper? Could potentially run it out of the rear wiper hole if not?

Not sure i'd personally feel too comfortable drilling a hole in my roof to be honest!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah still have a rear wiper, I do use it a lot so plan to keep it.

I know what you mean though, not massively keen on putting a hole in the roof. BUT it is a track car, no interior etc - so already compromised and is never going to be a mint showcar.

I did try running it up in the groove for the rear screen seal (its got a universal rubber seal) but there wasn't quite enough room.

Yeah Mook, has to be on the roof really to get a good signal.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I run an AIM system, I mounted mine in the rear parcel shelf with a clear view and had no issues picking up GPS.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
It should get a good view of the sky from the rear parcel shelt or dash and pick up plenty of satellites.
My V Box works fine with the sensor there.

I can't say that I'd consider drilling the roof.
Another potential leak point later on.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I've been running with the GPS antena for my datalogger fed out through the passenger window seal.

I'm permanently mounted the logger and I'm considering drilling the roof to run the cable through a grommet (properly caulked obviously).

Is that madness?
Thats what I've done with my Race TEchnology GPS unit........You can just make it out above the rear view mirror.

GPS will get a far more reliable lock with the receiver being outside the car.

The exam question is......'do you want to drill the roof or not'.

whatever you deecide there will dictate your future actions.

TT

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys :)

It is odd how bad the reception is, the "lock" light doesn't come on on the logger at all when the receiver is mounted inside the front or rear dash and it's poor on the boot lid or bonnet (obviously being magnetic it won't stick to the bonnet either). As you say usually these things will work ok inside the car if not as accurate. It is the Race Technology receiver too. I've paid for the 20Hz super accurate job so I do want to get the most out of it.

Water ingress is a worry, but with enough sikaflex you can seal anything!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts