GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I was lucky enough to get a spirited ride in a DBS, points to note, it sounds amazing and looks gorgeous.

However running the GTR back to back on the same stretch of road after, made me realise just how stable and quick the GTR is by comparison and I think the DBS's owner was a little taken a back when I took him out for a ride

If I'd just spent £180K on a DBS then gone out in a GTR I think I'd be shocked.

Maybe the GTR should retail at closer to £200k or the DBS at £40K

cheers

Michael

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Yep, had the same feeling with a V8 Vantage Nurburgring edition.

Clunky semi-auto, lacklustre interior, but great sound

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Dont get me wrong but i have an DBS anyday over a GTR. The same if someone said Ferrari or GTR id still have a Ferrari. But that what i think anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah did the DBS earlier this year, one of the guys at work had a load of days left on the supercar club .. so to torment the bean counters came in for about a month in different supercars.

The DBS wins on the sound but the rest was nasty very afterthoughts. The 430 was silly on the noise front, nice to drive tho .. The Lambo LP640 was very wooden to drive, but at 4k the valves on the exhaust opens and it can scare pedestrians :)

Of the cars that I can compare to the GTR was the 997 GT3. The flat handeling is very similar, except the noise in the GT3 is just brilliant. However the GT3 is brilliant at driving the noise will wear you down, and if you go out late I could not get home quietly - 11:30 at night,. bwapp, bwap .. hmm

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Well a freind of mine had a similar situation,he really wanted a 599 GTB but after a test drive he said that although the sound and gearbox of the 599 were awesome he felt his GTR was more exploitable.
I have to say if i were in his position i would have 599,but it does show what a great achievement the GTR is.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Well we live in a world of badge snobbery, a lot of people would choose to pay for any product because of it's brand and status in respect to other people's perception. But then Ferrari is a Ferrari not too keen on the DBS i think that's a pure snob's car. Therefore I would choose the GTR over a DBS any day, but over a Ferrari... hmmm not so sure.:nervous:

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
kind of bill gates vs peirce brosnan

GTR great, but hey the DBS kind has the Old Spice effect

·
Registered
206 Posts
If looks could kill, the DBS would be on a murder spree.
Not that I'll ever own a DBS but I don't think I would be buying one for its performance abilities.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had the pleasure of playing with a DBS all the way through Switzerland to the Italian border a few weeks ago. It sounded like St Pedro himself had cracked open the Heavens and delivered a roar worthy of biblical proportions........ but i am afraid the rest of it was never really on the same page as my little baby

It was agile but not agile enough, it was fast but not fast enough and it was pretty... but you guessed it... not pretty enough.... in fact all round it just wasn't enough

I will however never forget that sound going through the cloistered tunnels at mach something or other with full afterburners:p

·
Registered
46 Posts
i own a 430 scuderia, an m5 and a gtr, over the last five years i had many supercars (porsche ferrari, lambo's lotus etc..) . to be honest, the scuderia is a fabulous car that moves my senses upside down every second, but since its expensive, and delicate, when i want to do "business" and go real technically fast, there is nothing like my surgical precision tool, the gtr. on moutain roads, it annihilates everything, not by a car lenghts or two but by 3 or 4 twists. what also helps the gtr over here is the very low grip asphalt we have. the scud goes sideway on 4th gear..
the aston dealer gave me a dbs for 2 days, i gave it back after two hours, definitely not a drivers car IMO

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a play with a Swiz registered DBS coming back from Goodwood

The driver just couldnt believe that he couldnt shake me and he was clearly out of control in the corners at times-----eventually he gave up!
Lovely noise and looks but I dont believe it's a true drivers car and from a driving point of view not worth 3 times the price of a GTR

Ive had my share of fast/supercars and a GT3 is the only thing that may eventually get me out of the GTR

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yep, I did plenty of AM's Porches, Ferrari’s Lambo, Audi R8's V8 & V10, Ultima GTR, Lotus Exiges, Bentley GT etc over 2.500 miles across Europe on the Alpine Adventure, most were just totally gob smacked with the GTR's performance and wondered where their extra £100k had gone to. I told them it was the badge!!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dbs is a pretty car but it’s bloody slow it’s for all those James bond wannabes :p
but the Dbs sounds nicer too because the gtr IMO sounds crap :(

(bring back the rb26!!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Astons may look good - even my rather old DB7 V12 Vantage

But they can't hold a candle to the GT-R for superb, competent delivery of performance and outright fun!

Personally, I can't wait to change from Aston to Nissan next year when the first chunk of depreciation makes them a reasonable proposition for me.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
For those of us paupers who have yet to experience an Aston, how do they compare to the Skyline GTR's in terms of handling etc?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I hardly think people choose an Aston over a GTR due to badge snobery??

Someone in the market for an Aston is probably not remotely interested in a GTR, they are just far too different, and one is 3 times the price of the other.

There does seem to be an almost BMW "ultimate driving machine" ethos in this section of the board lately... GTR is great, but being fast doesn't make it the best car in the world. Blinkers off!!!

Driving for me is about fun. Having owned a tweaked Exige S, it may not have been as fast as a GTR but what a buzz.

Going back to the DBS, I just don't think you can compare a RWD, NA, luxury GT car to a Technology packed, awd, turbo jap car.

So, appreciate them both, but I wouldn't try to compare one over the other.

Perhaps a V8 Vantage is more of a comparison, in terms of price bracket.

Again, if I was looking for a V8 Vantage, I wouldn't be buying it because I wanted the fastest point to point machine out there, you buy it for a combination of reasons. Class is one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hardly think people choose an Aston over a GTR due to badge snobery??
I'm certain that that is the case amongst the uninformed, monied set. A Nissan? Yuck! No way!

GTR is great, but being fast doesn't make it the best car in the world. Blinkers off!!!

Driving for me is about fun. Having owned a tweaked Exige S, it may not have been as fast as a GTR but what a buzz.
Yes, my Exige Cup with 270 bhp supercharger was a fantastic track tool too – but not the best car to cross Europe in two-up. "Best" can be defined in many ways! The point is that the GT-R offers fantastic pace, huge competence and an entertaining drive along with reasonable comfort and space.

The fact that European "grace" is missing in the design is due to the car's Japanese design philosophy. It still possesses, for me, the "best" combination of attributes as a driver's car, rather than as a poser's car.

Going back to the DBS, I just don't think you can compare a RWD, NA, luxury GT car to a Technology packed, awd, turbo jap car.

So, appreciate them both, but I wouldn't try to compare one over the other
Have to disagree again :p I want a luxury GT – and I want to be able to use it in all weather. The GT-R is far better equipped to get actually me to my destination – for me it is a better "grand tourer" (in the true sense of the word, namely that you can cross a continent effortlessly) than any Aston.

Again, if I was looking for a V8 Vantage, I wouldn't be buying it because I wanted the fastest point to point machine out there, you buy it for a combination of reasons. Class is one.
I've owned/own some fairly esoteric cars, so I don't think I'm totally pragmatic – but I have to say that "class" is basically a lot of hot air. Quick example:

My bro's neighbour got a new Aston. Before long, he had problems with the driver's door not wanting to shut properly. The dealer said,

"Sir! It's a handbuilt car – you have to treat it with a firm hand!"

Couple of weeks later, he had problems with the boot not shutting properly. He demonstrated to the dealer how, even if he slammed it down quite vigorously, it still would not catch shut fully. The response was,

"Sir! It's a handbuilt car – you have to use a gentle touch".

His response was to say, "F*ck this for a lark!" Sold it and got another "soulless", but perfectly functioning 911. :p

I would trust a GT-R to work better than any Aston! My bro says (like most who've driven neither) that I've got no soul to sell a moving work of art for a Jap monster. Do you think I care? A test drive was all I needed to confirm that the Nissan, which costs less than half the price of many rivals, is still the "best" car :thumbsup:

Can't wait to get one. Wouldn't chose the DBS even if it was cheaper than the GT-R!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts