GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do the OEM batteries that the car come for usually last for, mileage or age. It was dead today, got it started drove for about an hour, went to start and still dead. I changed the battery which was an interesting task and praying to god it's not the alternator!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Surely if it was the alternator then the car would die while driving?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know I am not a mechanic, or even slightly mechanical minded, hence I'm on the forum.

I'm just an idiot with a fast car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
£650 is the cheapest price I can find for an oem alternator, which if I remember you payed over £100 for a gtr badge and I got one for £45. I don't pay gtr tax

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right anyway, I didn't ask how much an alternator cost, I wanted to know what general life people have got from the original battery for those that have changed batteries.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Mine died after about 2 years. But I don't drive everyday and it often sits for long periods, particularly in the winter which isn't good for the battery. Also the battery is the same as from a micro and tiny!

Got an optima yellow top and ctek charger now so all good.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks *****, I got the most expensive battery I could get at Halfords at the time which the have. Upon installation the turnover on the start was incredibly fast :)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Dean it should definitely be your signature if you sign up to the Gtroc :)

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
How long do the OEM batteries that the car come for usually last for, mileage or age. It was dead today, got it started drove for about an hour, went to start and still dead. I changed the battery which was an interesting task and praying to god it's not the alternator!
I got one of these..

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/242793-optima-yellow-top-gtr-battery-offer.html

I had a stock battery and the car cranked ok, If i used the radio for over 10 mins with the car not running, on low volume (quick car clean), cranking would be slightly labored..

Got a yellow top, as soon as I had installed it, cranking felt stronger... also Ive used the radio when cleaning the car for over 30 mins (tested it for my own curiosity, whilst car was at home) and its been fine.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah yes the CCA number is 460 the same as on mine, which is why the crank is so much more exciting now to turn it on :)

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Pretty sure battery is a common weak area and a few threads been made about it over last 6 months. General consensus seems to be ctek charger and yellow top battery

·
Registered
626 Posts
Fingers crossed for you mate that its not the same problem I had. Battery died for no reason. All connected to the bloody audio system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
this is a worry of mine as i work 1 month on/off I'm worried that the battery will die if left too long? i do sometimes get a friend or relative to go fire it up and left to idle for a while but still curious as to how long it can be left for? i have a garage and as soon as I've finished renovating it i will be getting trickle charger just to be safe. Ive also heard a jump start off another car is a big no no on these??

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I drive my GTR every day, garaged it up after a drive about 8pm, 2pm the next day, dead!

So I do have some worries, crossing my fingers it is just the battery failing to hold charge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
this is a worry of mine as i work 1 month on/off I'm worried that the battery will die if left too long? i do sometimes get a friend or relative to go fire it up and left to idle for a while but still curious as to how long it can be left for? i have a garage and as soon as I've finished renovating it i will be getting trickle charger just to be safe. Ive also heard a jump start off another car is a big no no on these??
I'm in the same position with car sitting for long periods while working away. First trip away since getting car a few weeks ago so I'll find out once home end of month if it will start. With the evo I used to just disconnect battery when leaving it sitting for weeks at a time in garage but with the gtr I would rather not have tracker company phoning up each time I connect/disconnect battery so will probably buy a trickle charger too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dean. After you've started the car stick a multi metre across the terminals of the battery and read the voltage. Should be seeing just under 15 volts. This will rule out your alternator.
If this reads correct next time youleave the car over night after a drive before you lock her up, pop the bonnet and pull the blue 15 amp fuse in the box thats infront of the battery... its marked audio.
My bet is your car will start in the morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the same position with car sitting for long periods while working away. First trip away since getting car a few weeks ago so I'll find out once home end of month if it will start. With the evo I used to just disconnect battery when leaving it sitting for weeks at a time in garage but with the gtr I would rather not have tracker company phoning up each time I connect/disconnect battery so will probably buy a trickle charger too.
Same position here. I use a CTEK MXS 5.0T trickle charger with the ring terminals permanently connected on the battery. also have a 2.5m extension cable (CTEK 56-304) running down the outer edge of the engine bay to the front bumper. Then the charger can be connected without having to open the car/bonnet - great if you leave it too long and the battery goes flat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts