GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a feeling I might already know the answer to this, but I'll test the water.. :)

I'm quite keen to get a decat pipe after having heard several good opinions about them, however my car is due to have an MOT in early December.

Is a decat pipe on an R33 Skyline a definite MOT failure? Can I not just say the car never came like that? :p

Reason I ask is that I don't really fancy driving all the way back to the South East in 2 months after I get my car back just so I can get the decat pipe temporarily removed.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I suggest you start to get to know your MOT place well!!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Not had an MOT on mine yet, but like many I've no cats... On my impreza I had no Cats and passed MOT's if after I explained to the garage that my car wasn't a 'Turbo 2000' which was the only impreza listed in the emissions book - as such I only had to pass a 1973 'baseline' emissions test, which obviously you don't need a cat to pass. I would that Skylines aren't listed as they were never type approved...

Also might be worth chatting to abbey about it as they did the last MOT on my car (prior to me buying).

·
Registered
130 Posts
CATS

Just had mine MOT'd last Wednesday, the middle CAT does need to go back in for the test full stop.

Not a big job really but it's worth getting the job done by someone who knows your car well.

Regards

·
Registered
130 Posts
its amazing how a crisp tenner accidentally left in the testers pocket miraculously gives you almost perfect CO levels without a CAT fitted.

spooky :):smokin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Daz,

Don't go to a main dealer. see if you can get a spec sheet for a 95 car as the emmisions are higher and you can get away without.
you may find a back street garage that doesn't have the car in their analyser computer files in which case they will have some sort of default model and it will probably pass.

the other one is the brakes they must do this on the road and not on the rollers as the 4wd kicks in so if it is a monkey garage make sure you trust them to drive your car.

Mine just failed without it, we just tested the emmisions before I put her in for an mot. it is only 4 bolts and a bit of sealant though.

if you do go for it make sure the car is well warmed up. Good excuse to go for a thrash before hand !!

good luck old chap.

/Steve

·
Registered
773 Posts
The cat was a must for my MOT pass, but I asked the garage who did the MOT to take the decat pipe off, do the test, and refit the decat pipe. Don't know whether they actually went through the procedure, but it passed no questions asked.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard Bell said:
Your cars not got a cat on mate :D
Hasn't it? lol how the hell did it pass last year then? :) Christ that shows my mechanical acumen (or lack of) doesn't it :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts