GTR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was really excited to have an opportunity to have a good look round a new gtr...what a fantastic piece of kit..that was.. until it was up on the ramp..jesus...it was rotten..rust everywhere... it is an 08 car and not abused i am truly shocked how bad it was...insist on a tanker of waxoil with your deal...you'll need it

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Thats what the R stands for in GTR :D
Not a lot changes eh ? ;)
cokey

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well mines a uk R34 not known for massive rust protection..but it isnt as bad as this new gtr now...9yrs later..its put me off a bit tbh

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ha ha inject a dose of cynisism...i'd be having words with mr datsun if i'd payed 50k plus for a rust bucket..mite hav been acceptable in the 70's when datsun was cheap and we didnt know any better..

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Don't worry lads. You'll be able to afford one in a few years! ;)
Whats that got to do with the topic of the OP????????????????????????

Your obviously in the "its all about the money" camp of owners. Shame really, that folks like you put so much emphasis on it and constantly make derisory comments to others. Most of the posts you have made that I have had the misfortune of reading prove this.
Just so we're clear, I could go out and put more than 50% of a cash deposit on a new GTR tomorrow so dont think I'm one of those 'whining Skyline owners' that cant afford it :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:.
The OP has stated a FACT from his experience. Your post contributes less than nothing to the issue.

:chairshot:chairshot:chairshot:chairshot:chairshot

then

:GrowUp:

:lamer:

TT

·
Registered
690 Posts
Because the thread and post is a nonsense! It desereved a stupid response.

P.S I suspect the Titanic had much more rust so the FACT statement really doesn't work either! Bedtime children!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for gods sake whats the matter with you ? it is a fab car at any price, but that wasnt my point, ive always regarded jap cars to be of superior quality generally i didnt expect to see major rot on a car with minimal milage and just over a year old..i bought my nissan because it was better than the rest at the price (of course the price comes into it ) its not perfect, nothing is, but it aint rotten at 9yrs old and niether are lots of early 32's who have plied british roads and the salt for the last 17yrs!

·
Registered
535 Posts
If its a UK car then nothing too worry about :D It will be covered under the 3 year warranty, I would only worry if it was looking to become an MOT failure e.g. real serious rust and not just surface rust which you see on most cars especially those models / marques that might of sat around a while.

CJ

·
Registered
167 Posts
'it is an 08 car and not abused i am truly shocked how bad it was'

I guess it was a jap import ... in my past days of importing cars myslef evo's and 22b's the first thing you had to do was underseal the car - none of them were done in japan.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bodyshell was ok, its just the bits, subframes, brackets, bolts, panel clips, alu castings pipework unions, when the panel clips rot off the underbody panels will flap about and break, if i was to order a new gtr first port of call would be a shop with a ramp and a waxoil gun to beef up the protection, too late when its got hold,l i just assumed nissan would have considered the environment the car would be in and specified a good level of protection... say like audi or volkswagon do..i just expected it to be so..

·
Registered
129 Posts
i personally think there is an exaggeration here, if i had taken my car for a 12 month service and it had rust as described i would expect the HPC would also have concerns. well that's my last post on this subject, it is not consistent with any one else's experience of GTR ownership. maybe when they become more affordable there will be less non owners chucking negatives at it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had an April delivery official UK car and it was delivered with surface corrosion all over the engine bay following its transport on the ship from Japan. Nothing was mentioned from the pre-delivery inspection but I noticed it myself. The HPC took photos because they had to follow procedure to ask nissan what to do. Nissan told them to wipe it off and spray wd-40 onto it which they have done...at least on the easy bits. There is still some visible behind the pulleys. I did explain that I don't just want it removed as a cosmetic job but I want any corrosion stopped even if it is not visible whatever is necessary to get to it. The GT-R tech did say that if the engine had to come out to get to areas to work on them then it would not be able to be set up like it was from the factory and implied if it was his car he wouldn't want that doing. I have been told that this was a problem just with the first UK cars which nissan have now rectified from source.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i did write i would not mention this post but as what you write seems feasible, i stand corrected, i noticed you write a 2008 spec and probably JDM. it has not been mentioned before especially as it has a cover to protect the underside, it will be something i would ask the HPC to check out.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
No corrosion on mine. I was one of the first UK cars on April 9th.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I think you'll find the Titanic's decks were made of mahogony and other hardwoods ;)

The rust issue has been mentioned before but it's surface only from memory and actually mostly its the securing bolts that take the most of the corrosion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had an April delivery official UK car and it was delivered with surface corrosion all over the engine bay following its transport on the ship from Japan. Nothing was mentioned from the pre-delivery inspection but I noticed it myself. The HPC took photos because they had to follow procedure to ask nissan what to do. Nissan told them to wipe it off and spray wd-40 onto it which they have done...at least on the easy bits. There is still some visible behind the pulleys. I did explain that I don't just want it removed as a cosmetic job but I want any corrosion stopped even if it is not visible whatever is necessary to get to it. The GT-R tech did say that if the engine had to come out to get to areas to work on them then it would not be able to be set up like it was from the factory and implied if it was his car he wouldn't want that doing. I have been told that this was a problem just with the first UK cars which nissan have now rectified from source.
were there any issues with Nissan putting your car up to scratch?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you'll find the Titanic's decks were made of mahogony and other hardwoods ;)

The rust issue has been mentioned before but it's surface only from memory and actually mostly its the securing bolts that take the most of the corrosion.
very valid point on the titanic,:p. should be no big deal to have them looked at every 6 month intervals then.... good call.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.