GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a defi vsd concept and was looking through the manual on defi's website. the only thing i don't understand is what the control output relates to. anyone have experience with the vsd?

cheers

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The 'control output' function allows you to trigger an external warning light/buzzer or a device (via a relay) on certain temperature conditions but you have to have the optional Defi Control unit (or Control unit 2) and the appropriate Defi sensor for the function to work.

I used it to drive an electric fan relay on my old S13 when the water temperature reached a certain amount. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 'control output' function allows you to trigger an external warning light/buzzer or a device (via a relay) on certain temperature conditions but you have to have the optional Defi Control unit (or Control unit 2) and the appropriate Defi sensor for the function to work.

I used it to drive an electric fan relay on my old S13 when the water temperature reached a certain amount. :)

ah very cool

i do have the control unit 2. so i could set up a thermo for my oil cooler if ever needed. this is a nice peace of kit

thanks for all your help

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was just thinking about it would love to have a kill switch for the VSD
now i cant cut the main power to the feed as all the gauges wont work then.

any ideas what wire on the display screen plug feeds power or is a trigger?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Not sure. You could try probing the individual wires leading to the display and see which one gives you a constant voltage but I think if it were me doing it I would pull out the 'piggy back' power feed cable from the VSD control box to the Control unit 2 and give the Control unit 2 its own seperate ign/pwr/gnd/illm supplies. Then you can just have a switch on the ign feed to the VSD's control box so you can turn it on and off independently.

How are you finding the VSD ? I find the VSD so good that I barely look at the main gauge cluster now. I wish all cars had HUD's :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure. You could try probing the individual wires leading to the display and see which one gives you a constant voltage but I think if it were me doing it I would pull out the 'piggy back' power feed cable from the VSD control box to the Control unit 2 and give the Control unit 2 its own seperate ign/pwr/gnd/illm supplies. Then you can just have a switch on the ign feed to the VSD's control box so you can turn it on and off independently.
i thought that might be the case, well time to get the multimeter out and see what i can find otherwise ill order another power cable

How are you finding the VSD ? I find the VSD so good that I barely look at the main gauge cluster now. I wish all cars had HUD's :)
not sure mine only arrived the other day and im missing some bits so waiting on them to get delivered now before install. sounds like its a great set up i might not need the kill switch on it.

do you have any pics of your set up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts