GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the forum, I have been surfing for a while and found a lot of useful information through the knowlege of your members.

I just brought myself a 1996 GTST and have a bit of a problem.

I must get a catagory 1 alarm installed on it before I can use it.

I have been using another car and keeping the skyline garaged. I have now sold the other car (someone made an excellent offer). This leaves me with a skyline and no way of driving it. I have had an insurance quote but they wont go through until the alarm is done. I can get the tax and insurance sorted today, it all hinges on getting the alarm fitted.

So I need to sort this out early today or I am stranded . I have been looking around the net, There are a few people who will come to you, fit the alarm and be done with it. This would suit me fine.

Any concerns about doing this? Any recommendations?

After speaking to a few people, the best quote I have had is £285 for a cat 1 alarm and mobiliser, including remote central locking, which my standard car does not have.

Please help me ! I want to take this baby for a burn.

(I know there is a section for alarms but there is noone there, and I need to make a purchase within the next 1/2 or so - please give me a break)

Thanks
wwwburnout - itching to get behind the wheel

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Check with the insurance co.
Many insist on an cat 1 alarm before they cover for theft, but if you tell them you are going to drive it to an alarm fitter, they will usually say that's fine and your still covered for everything else. They just won't pay out if the car gets stolen before the alarm is fitted.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Had mine done by a bloke in Bradford, £250 all in for a Toad cat 1 with multi-point immobiliser, cental locking etc he wasn't over pleased when he saw the cage as it somewhat hampers the dash removal but due credit to the guy he did a top job and apart from the red led on the dash you wouldn't know he had even been in it.
It depends on where you are located as to who's best i suppose but your £285 price seems reasonable, if you're anywhere around the NE then this may be of some interest Direct Car Parts car styling and accessories shop

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Toad is the best, my brother sold and had immob/alarm fitted for people for 20 years and the only ones with little or no troubles were Toad. Any professional can fit these at your home.

·
Registered
121 Posts
most insurnace companies in my experience ask for the cat 1 alarm certificate within a week so if you can find a company who will insure you and then you send the alarm certificate off to them that would be better
well depending on the quote because you can start driving straight away then

toad are good alarms so are sigma
seems that most people think clifford are always better because they cost more but it depends on how many features the alarm has etc

·
Registered
597 Posts
all my previous ins. co. gave a couple of weeks to send in documents once you made an initial payment, however, theft is only covered once your alarm guy (thatcham cert) has filled the forms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.