GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my "R32" small front driveshaft (propeller shaft) to "The Driveshaft Shop" in assistance in the development of a new replacement front driveshaft. There is really no way to fix the universal joints (crosses) as they are pressed into place and then if you can manage to get it out there is not enough metal in the yoke to put a retainer clip. The Driveshaft Shop will be making a whole new unit which will be stronger than the factory unit.

The Driveshaft Shop | Search results for: 'r32'

The new shaft should be ready for market in a couple of months. Is anyone interested ?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've got one of their carbon tailshafts for my 32R, excellent product.

But as Piggaz said, I'm not sure if this is a needed upgrade, perhaps a CF shaft that is significantly lighter may have some benefits but otherwise you're just changing parts for the sake of it.

Furthermore, in terms of strength I suspect the transfercase or front diff will die a horrible death much earlier than the front shaft would.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've never seen one break yet. Is it really necessary?
All the ones I've seen have had 'notchy' UJ's so I can understand why people might feel the need to replace them but not sure its worth it as its much smaller and lighter than the rear prop. Presumably the UJ's are primarily there to help install the shaft and dealing with the tiny amount of flex that might occur in the drivetrain is more of a secondary function ?

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
325 Posts
Peened in universals are common on a lot of vehicles and there's rarely enough meat in the yoke to machine for a circlip.
Saw Merc yokes machined for circlips as per instruction from the Merc dealership and they looked way too flimsy, simply no meat left.
Back in the day backyarders would MIG spot weld washers onto peened yokes to hold the joint in. I first saw peened joints in LJ50 Suzi's so they've been around a long time.
Any decent shafting shop will spin off the old yokes and replace them with yokes that take replaceable uni joint and circlips.
You're then set for another 20 years.
The actual tube can be reused as the new yokes are longer than the originals but sometimes the shafting shop will use new tube to save time.
I'd say a GTR front shaft would have the tube re-used due to clearance issues.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the ones I've seen have had 'notchy' UJ's so I can understand why people might feel the need to replace them but not sure its worth it as its much smaller and lighter than the rear prop. Presumably the UJ's are primarily there to help install the shaft and dealing with the tiny amount of flex that might occur in the drivetrain is more of a secondary function ?

Cheers

Stu
The universal joints are there for the offset angle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never seen one break yet. Is it really necessary?
My universals were shot and there was no option for replacing them. Nissan makes you replace the whole shaft because the U joints are not replaceable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well believe it or not they said it was finished and it was ready to ship this last January. I asked them to take one last look at all the photos and measurements I sent them on the USB memory stick. They said "Oh I didn't even look at it" . They did and then they said "Oh shit! the new shaft won't fit" Go figure ! That was why I did all the photos and measurements so they wouldn't have to start all over 2 years down the road.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Cant make this out as my reverse binoculars are in the loft and I cant connect my laptop to my 100" tv :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts