GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to change the oils in the front and rear diffs, the gearbox and the transfer box, while the cars in the garage for the winter.
I have a few questions to ask first, before i start draining them.
I've bought Silkolene Silktran syn5 75w-90 for the gearbox. After reading through some threads, it seams quite a few of you use this oil. It looks fairly straight forward to change. There's a drain plug in the bottom of the casing, and a fill hole half way up the drivers side of the casing. Fill it up till it pours out, then refit the top plug.... is that right ?
The rear diff is an LSD i believe in the 33 gtr v-spec. Again there's a drain and a fill plug in the diff. I've bought Silkolene BOA 9LS oil for this. Is it again just a case of drain off and fill up until it pours out or is there something else. I've noticed there's a pipe coming out near the drive shaft that runs to the pumps at the drivers side rear corner. Does the oil need to be bled through the pumps ? Also what size is the allen key needed to remove the fill plug ?
I haven't yet bought any oil for the front diff or the transfer box. I assume the front diff is also a LSD so would i be right in thinking it uses the same oil as the rear diff ? if so, how much does it hold ?
That leaves the transfer box. What type of oil do i need for that, and how much do i need ? Is it simply a case of draining and refilling , or does anything need bleeding ????
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated on this matter (it's quite urgent !)
Thanks in advance,
DUNCAN.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the PM oilman (Guy).
Is till need to know if any of the oil needs bleeding through, or just drain and fill back up till it pours out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Differential Fluid
GTR: - Front GL-5 85W-90 Every 60,000 miles or 2 years Non lsd
GTR: - Center Nissan Automatic Fluid D Every 60,000 miles or 2 years ,just drain it out then refill pot in boot ,don't know key sizes though
GTR: - Rear LSD GL-5 80W-90 Every 60,000 miles or 2 years
GTR: gearbox (manual) 75w90 fullysynthetic

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rich,
wats the resevoir in the boot for ?
is it for the transfer box or the diffs ?
why do the diffs etc have fill up bungs if they can be filled via the resevoir.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Duncan,

The reservoir in the boot is for the Attessa system, you can use ATF to top up if needed, nothing to do with filling the transfer box. It needs bleeding if ever you disconnect the pipe to the back of the transfer box. The transfer box takes ATF too, just over a litre from memory. Both diffs take just over a litre too and the box takes about 3 1/2 litres and a 75W90 oil would be best... The box is a pain to fill without a pump.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duncan,

The reservoir in the boot is for the Attessa system, you can use ATF to top up if needed, nothing to do with filling the transfer box. It needs bleeding if ever you disconnect the pipe to the back of the transfer box. The transfer box takes ATF too, just over a litre from memory. Both diffs take just over a litre too and the box takes about 3 1/2 litres and a 75W90 oil would be best... The box is a pain to fill without a pump.
So to change the oil in the transfer box, i just drain it from the half inch square plug at the bottom, and refil it from the quarter inch square plug half way up the back of the transfer box. NO NEED TO BLEED THE SYSTEM ?
Is this correct ?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Yes mate, that's how I've always done it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to bleed the Attessa. Remove the rubber cap from the nipple, start her up, get somebody to move the steering wheel while you undo the nipple...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
To make the job easier to fill the transfer box you can fill it from the gearstick hole in the car.

There is no need to move the steering wheel when bleeding attessa fluid peter, this has no effect on attessa?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no need to move the steering wheel when bleeding attessa fluid peter, this has no effect on attessa?[/QUOTE]

How is it done then ?
Just have the engine running and open the blead nipple ?????

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
hi Duncan
did you get around to doing this gearbox oil change on the car? Can you write an update on it as its something I'd like to do. I have a non vspec so my notes so far are:

I should only have to change the gearbox oil.

gearbox oil - about 3.5 to 4litres of 75w90 fully synthetic oil. QUESTION - is this a specific gearbox oil or just a normal fully synth oil? Sorry if that sounds daft but I dont just wanna run out and buy something off the shelf then find out its no use :/

I simply drop the plug at the bottom of the bell housing and fill up on the side till it reaches the level of the refill hole (or starts to spill out)?

·
Registered
82 Posts
hi Duncan
did you get around to doing this gearbox oil change on the car? Can you write an update on it as its something I'd like to do. I have a non vspec so my notes so far are:

I should only have to change the gearbox oil.

gearbox oil - about 3.5 to 4litres of 75w90 fully synthetic oil. QUESTION - is this a specific gearbox oil or just a normal fully synth oil? Sorry if that sounds daft but I dont just wanna run out and buy something off the shelf then find out its no use :/

I simply drop the plug at the bottom of the bell housing and fill up on the side till it reaches the level of the refill hole (or starts to spill out)?
Hi Anthony,

You should be able to put 4.1 Litres oil in you gearbox.
I changed mine just recently and I can tell you that it was a pain pumping the new oil in to the gearbox. I used a manual pump holding max 1 liter at a time.
And you're absolutely right in how to fill the gearbox up. Fill it up until it starts to spill.

I used Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil in both gearbox and FRONT DIFF.
And Mobile Limited Slip oil for the REAR DIFF
Got pic on the bottles right here:
http://www.randomcreations.se/gtr/DSC_0147.JPG

Front diff should be holding about 1L oil and REAR diff about 1.5L

Hope this helped you out a bit and good luck with the change!

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
hi Alex
thanks for the info there mate. I'll be looking to do my gear oil and transfer box this wkend and I'll tackle my diffs after that. If changing the oil in the gearbox makes for even a slightly smoother drive I'll be happy but more importantly it'll give me something to do hhehe! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi lads, I've got a leak on my diff case (R34 GTT) I've ordered a new gasket but what oil do I need? I've been told 90LS from one source and 75W 140 from another. Advice please!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good info, was looking for a post like this before the inlet cam slipped in my own :bawling: anyone have a particular brand of oils they find to be the best?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts