GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
VERY rare to find one for sale in Japan. One customer & good friend who had one from us around 12 years ago mentioned he knows of 2 that are currently running in the UK, according to the forum on these. He's been offered £20K for his and wouldn't sell.

We have two... They're currently each being restored as the original Mazda water based paint doesn't have a hope of lasting 25 years! Valuable cars in Japan nowadays. 2.0-2.5M Yen at a dealer if you can find one on goo, so they're not cheap as chips any more.

Expect to have to pay £18-£20 that's had no rust, accidents, been rallied, broken, etc. (or more as prices in Japan will continue to rise) for an example in top condition including costs of importing to the UK - IF you can find one in Japan. We bought the only two worth buying in the last 18 months as investments, then went about sourcing all the trim parts, etc. needed for restoration. Time consuming stuff, but they're rally homologation cars, after all - these Familia GT-R's and made in very small numbers so they deserve to be preserved.

Tougher than Pulsar GTi-R's, of which most have rotted away by now, been scrapped or had their gearbox problems and been left to languish, etc.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
I'm not sure I have ever heard of those or not?
Always wanted a Pulsar but know they are not supposed to be reliable so never went for one.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,170 Posts
Back when I bought my GTiR I looked at a Mazda. At the time they were cheaper than the GTiR. The build quality wasn't a patch on the Nissan and bits for them were not common. I stuill think that putting a hybrid of the engine into a mark 1 mx5 would be nice.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,170 Posts
I'm not sure I have ever heard of those or not?
Always wanted a Pulsar but know they are not supposed to be reliable so never went for one.
There are some myths about GTiR gearboxes. Back in the day some research was done into the failure rate and basically it was not high at all. Dead boxes tended to be from serial offenders too.

Like the gtrs it is easy to get more power out of the engine. With a strong degree of traction and a harsh aftermarket clutch something gives when you launch the car.

The oem wheels and tyres are I think 185s on 14" wheels. Again very popular to replace these with 16s or 17s with 205 or bigger tyres. The extra grip just passes the problem onwards. Something has to give. I can remember the reviews when the car we launched talking about how easy it was to spin up all four wheels. The phrase squawking like a battle parrot springs to mind from one of them.

The GTiR deserves a better reputation imho. The engine is awesome. Quad throttle bodies etc etc. Far better than it's contemporaries and a good downsized rb26 analogue.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is a pity that i sold the car last week as it is just not enough power for me and i don't want to modify the car since it is so original. So for the time being i have a replacement just as good if not better ;)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts