GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive posted on here before reagrding this but im looking for some more info.

Currently got a 380bhp 4x4 saff cossie.

Im in 2 minds whether or not to sell and buy a r32 gtr ?

Although its not the most reliable car servicing/repair costs (apart from the engine) are realtively cheap.

1. What are these costs like for the gtr ? I know an engine rebuild can be expensive but what about the rest of the car if anything goes wrong?

2. Ideally i would like a well modified example at 380/400 bhp and my budget is 7k. Will i get a decent one for this ?

3. Lastly, my car can run 0-60 in 4.5s and quarter just in the 12's. what can i expect from the gtr with the spec above ?

p.s. If anyone has driven both cars i would like your comparisons on both.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,066 Posts
1. parts are expensive, alot more than a cossie
2. might stuggle for a modded one for 7k
3. a 400 bhp 32gtr might be hitting high 11's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
although i have owned both and the cosy still has a soft spot in my heart i would never go back to one again after owning a 32 gtr.

Parts are more expensive (not all the time but most) service costs are higher unless you do most yourself.

But for the sheer driving pleasure the r32 is the way to go. as said above increase your budget a little or import yourself but take the risk of not knowing exactly what your going to get
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skykit said:
although i have owned both and the cosy still has a soft spot in my heart i would never go back to one again after owning a 32 gtr.

Parts are more expensive (not all the time but most) service costs are higher unless you do most yourself.

But for the sheer driving pleasure the r32 is the way to go. as said above increase your budget a little or import yourself but take the risk of not knowing exactly what your going to get
so what are examples of service, parts costs ?

Trying to give myself an idea

I generally have £500 (which is saved if not used) a month disposable cash and need to know if this will keep on top of repairs/servicing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,548 Posts
Cardiff R33 said:
2. might stuggle for a modded one for 7k
3. a 400 bhp 32gtr might be hitting high 11's
Hmm...I think thats being a little negative. I suppose it all depends on where you want the 400HP, wheels, flywheel. I agree that for 400ATW your looking at 9.5-11k.
Just trawling through the For Sale section and spotted a good few R32 GTR's for around the 8-8.5k mark and most, if not all were in the 400HP ATF region.
I have picked this one at random to illustrate my point.

TT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
I've never driven the sapphire cossie, but i've driven an escort cossworth a number of years ago and found it quite agricultural compared to my R32, so I'd say go for the 32 most definitely.

As to costs, well I've spent over 7 grand on mine in 18 months if you include insurance and petrol. But then most of it has been on mods i.e. exhaust, induction. I paid over the odds for my car back in early 2005. but saying that i've only had to fix two problems, one being hesitation and the other being a pair of worn suspension arms.

I'd say £500 a month seems sensible, I change the oil every 1500 miles at a cost of about £100 inc oil, filter and labour (i don't get me hands dirty).

As to an idea of cost's of bit's I'm not technically minded so I have to pay for someone else to do stuff, so a replacement Exedy single plate clutch, the starter motor stripped and cleaned, a new flywheel and relevant parts fitted cost me £780 inc VAT and labour. I'd managed to break an OS Giken twin which will now cost £650 to refresh and then i'll have it refitted.

Most month's I've only spent money on optimax which is about £60 a tank. That seems to get me around 300 km's.

Definitely make sure you get a Stage 1 car as standard is just sedate ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just 400bhp at the fly im lookin for

Id jump at the chance of buying one soon if i didnt have the hassle oif selling my car !!

£7k is an approximation

I could save for a bit longer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
stonehavencossi said:
Just 400bhp at the fly im lookin for

Id jump at the chance of buying one soon if i didnt have the hassle oif selling my car !!

£7k is an approximation

I could save for a bit longer
Its worth delaying the purchase to up your budget. Invariably cheap GTRs cost more in the long term.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
They are on another planet to drive. Feel soooo much more modern! alot more fun to drive and better in everyway in my opinion.

I'd spend a little more though... and maybe look at an R33. I just think they look alot more modern. Thats a personal thing though.

BUT maybe I would keep the money in your pocket looking at the one Tarmac Terror posted! That looks a great deal on a well maintained car.

Renton and Sean Bicknell who you know are both selling lightly modded R32's as well. I've driven Seans and it is a lovely little thing! it drives better on the road than my R34 GTR if I'm honest!!!

It IS going to be more to run though. They are monstrous on fuel for a start!!!!! Where are you based? find a local specialist you trust. RKtuning look after mine and they are very very good and incredibly cheap in my experience! I might start taking my Cosworth there as well if Martin doesn't pull his finger out ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
I'd save for a bit longer and start looking once you've got 10k+, ok it still doesn't guarantee that you won't have problems but I think you'll get a better condition car .. remember the youngest R32 you could get is now over 12 years old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
stonehavencossi said:
Ive posted on here before reagrding this but im looking for some more info.

Currently got a 380bhp 4x4 saff cossie.

Im in 2 minds whether or not to sell and buy a r32 gtr ?

Although its not the most reliable car servicing/repair costs (apart from the engine) are realtively cheap.

1. What are these costs like for the gtr ? I know an engine rebuild can be expensive but what about the rest of the car if anything goes wrong?

2. Ideally i would like a well modified example at 380/400 bhp and my budget is 7k. Will i get a decent one for this ?

3. Lastly, my car can run 0-60 in 4.5s and quarter just in the 12's. what can i expect from the gtr with the spec above ?

p.s. If anyone has driven both cars i would like your comparisons on both.
my friend has a r32 gtr Hreg which was exactly the same power as my r34gtr when i was 432bhp flywheel.
it has uprated cams, injectors,fuel pump, power fc etc.
last i heard he was selling it to someone from ireland for 7k but the geezer never turned up or something...
its gun metal and i no hes just put a new clutch in it.
pm me if your interested, the car is in portsmouth, hampshire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey porkie, seen you around on passionford

the fuel costs dont concern me at all. i dont do a lot of miles

there is no hurry for me to buy so i prob save some more or wait a while

Are they likely to come down in price further or are they becoming collectors items ?

Deffo want a R32 as opposed to thr R33

R32 have modern performance with slightly old skool looks ;-)


drive thanks for offering but im not in a position now unless he wants a cossie lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
COSSYCam said:
Seriously??
yes! :bawling: The smaller Turbos spool up nicely and it feels really punchy, clutch is FAR nicer to use, the ride is much more comfortable on the road and it just feels more chuckable and usable. Not having silly lower splitters and nice (and expensive) carbon bits like mine makes you worry less and enjoy driving it more on out crap roads!

Obviously I still prefer driving the R34 as I'm a sad snobby twat :chuckle:

Mind you, its been almost 3 months since I have driven the R34 now!!!!! must take it out for a spin. Battery will be soooo flat now though! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,288 Posts
I owned two 4x4 saffs which I loved intently, before taking the plunge into GTR ownership. Both Cosworths were running around the 360-400bhp mark, and when I bought the R32 (standard at the time) I wondered what the hell was going on, as it felt so slow (forgetting the GTR is a lot heavier than the Cos). As soon as I upped the power to 400+ bhp on the GTR, there was just no comparrison, it handled better, pulled right round to the redline, drove better, better on fuel, cheaper to insure, more precise and more importantly was a LOT more fun:) :) :clap:

yes they have their expensive times, but they also have their cheap times, and I'm definitely not looking back. If you're seriously considering one, come along to a show and meet the owners, and look at plenty before you commit to buying one

Steve:) :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top