GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am well aware of the merits of each and don't want to start a discussion about the cars, but I now face a dilemma.

I've found a near mint unmodified 33GTSt on a low mileage, and a near mint unmodified 33GTR also on a low mileage for £7K more. I will not be modifying them at all. It is going to be a plaything only and I might venture onto a track.

Should I buy the GTSt and save 7K for something else, or blow the lot on the GTR? I guess my question purely financial and asking if the GTR actually worth the £7K more and would it a better longer term investment? What would you do in my position?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Buy the GTS-t, save the £7k for a rainy day.......:)

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I love the confidence you state you wont be modifying them.... LMAO

My recomendation would have to be to buy the GTST, spend £1k on modifying it and then your sorted.

Dont bother with brake or suspension upgrades with a low power upgrade they are just fine.

I would recommend having a the stage one mods done though or you might aswell just buy a covic type r or something as a standard skyline isnt that great IMO.

Buy second hand parts if you can - but do fit aftermarket exhaust, decat and downpipes. Then possibly induction (although I am not sure if an airbox with free flow panel is as good based on heat consumption.

If you can, get a power fc and a boost upgrade and you will enjoy the car so much more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gtr mart said:
I love the confidence you state you wont be modifying them.... LMAO

My recomendation would have to be to buy the GTST, spend £1k on modifying it and then your sorted.

Dont bother with brake or suspension upgrades with a low power upgrade they are just fine.

I would recommend having a the stage one mods done though or you might aswell just buy a covic type r or something as a standard skyline isnt that great IMO.

Buy second hand parts if you can - but do fit aftermarket exhaust, decat and downpipes. Then possibly induction (although I am not sure if an airbox with free flow panel is as good based on heat consumption.

If you can, get a power fc and a boost upgrade and you will enjoy the car so much more.
I won't be modding it.
I am not remotely interested in touching the exhaust/induction or decatting as I personally find it offensively loud and uncomfortable to drive for any distance.
I won't be spending any money on upgrading other components as I will never see it again.
How can you say that a 250bhp RWD or 280+bhp 4WD is 'boring' and compare it to a FWD civic type R? If anything I'd go for the Integra, but I want a skyline if only for the looks.

·
Registered
930 Posts
You may already have answered your own question then...

jbloke72 said:
I had a GTSt, and it was IMHO a bag of shit. Admittedly it was an auto which doesn't help the driving experience one little bit with regard to unexpected (read uncontrollable) kickdowns resulting in all the power being thrown at the rear wheels just when you don't need it. Also, my 'setup' may well have been far from ideal in that the a*se end used to snake all over the place end in even mildly damp conditions and it was f*cking murder in the wet to drive ... I am amazed that I never wrapped it round a lamppost or stuffed it into another car. I am seeking my elusive GTR now, but I know I won't take a GTSt again unless I have no other choice.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
hmm. I think if you had been ina skyline for nay period you would understand what I am saying.

Whilst it might have 250hp - its still shat.

With the mods, whilst you might not see the money back again, you will enjoy the car ten fold more.

If its looks your after then you should have said. Buy the GTR. Standard GTST's look aweful unless totally mint, totally polished with totally luch rims and lowere suspension, which yours isnt going to have.

Skylines are horrifically expensive to run. Insurance and petrol are aweful weather the car is modded or not.

doing these simple and cheap mods will give you a much better car - what the skyline should have been in the first place. An uprated exhaust doesnt need to be loud by the way

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I didnt realise you previously owned a skyline, but based on what koopa has posted up I would say as per my earlier mail - standard gtr/gtst arent that great.

if your really going to leave it standard + looks then gtr. If wanting to save a bit of money and have some fun then slightly modded gtst.

If your not into hassle then a nice honda - or volvo t5.. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
koopa said:
You may already have answered your own question then...
My GTS was on 18's, lowered, had crap tyres with no grip and it tram lined, it had a badly fitted body kit that rattled and kept bottoming out, it had all the noisy stage one mods, it was automatic and all in all was utter shite and a bad package.
I was having a strop when I posted that before & now on reflection, I'd consider a standard one that was comfortable to drive on normal running gear.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Trust me when I say a stock one will be more comfy than your last, but thats it.
Not a mega fun car, and just looks plain as stock.

GTR is mildly better, but not 10k extras worth of fun IMO.

IMO id get neither listening to what your saying.

An Evo FQ340 or similar if you want a real car, a VX220 Turbo or similar if you dont mind it being more of a sportster.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I think the emphasis should be on comfort rather than standard. Otherwise your doing yourself out of a better car for no reason.

Pikey off here has a "500bhp" car that is virtually silent. at tick over. not sure what its like on the boil as the swine has never taken me for a spin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, if I wanted a T5 or some other piece of Euro pap, I'd be looking at a Golf R32 or a BMW M3 ... but to get one of those in as good condition as the Skylines I am looking at, I'd need to be spending alot more money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SteveN said:
Trust me when I say a stock one will be more comfy than your last, but thats it.
Not a mega fun car, and just looks plain as stock.

GTR is mildly better, but not 10k extras worth of fun IMO.

IMO id get neither listening to what your saying.

An Evo FQ340 or similar if you want a real car, a VX220 Turbo or similar if you dont mind it being more of a sportster.
Accepted to some degree. The GTS I am looking at it a snip under 4K. the GTR is a tad over 11K. I looked at a VX220 Turbo, and these are like 15/16K+. I've no idea what the Evo costs ... but I didn't want to be spending much over 12K on a toy. I think the Skyline in stock form with low mileage is still one of the best packages & well made Jap cars for the money.

·
Registered
930 Posts
hmmm i dunno if id agree. Before my skyline i had an s1 exige and also an evo 7 fq300. I sold the exige to get the skyline. I had wanted one (purely for the hype) since i was in school so nothing else would do in my eyes.

I bought a completely bog standard R33 GTR Vspec with 21k on the clock and no mods at all. As soon as i made the long trip down to devon i drove it in stock condition and could have cried. It was slow, lethargic, like a barge in corners and nothing like id been led to believe.

The chap reassured me that a stage one tune would make all the difference and despite thinking i would rather have my money back i gave him the go ahead. WOW...amazing the difference a few bits of pipe and filter makes :D :D been completely content ever since

1 - 16 of 16 Posts