GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All breather hoses taken off the rocker covers now.

Now Ive checked the valve on the injector side (its in middle of the cam covers between the injectors and the rail that holds the wires for the injectors) Its free for movement.
Does this need to be screwed in tight as I was able to remove it with my fingers?

Now the hose that comes of the back right cam cover and runs to the rear turbo (which I suspect could be blocked) seemed to be blocked a little. Every other hose is fine.
Is it right for this hose that was slightly blocked to go into a metal pipe and then into a rubber connection for the air in take to the rear turbo?
And I guess it doesnt matter if the all not connected properly as its just for venting.

Is there any other hoses which I need to check?

Im just waiting for RIPS to get back with exactly how to check for blow by.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Maybe somethink to point out.

I forgot to mention and I have found out.............It has an oil cooler fitted (ebay special I think, anidised purple connections) and the previous owner said it only blow the dip stick out since the cooler was fitted!
Also he has had the dip stick blow out in the past (not sure it was this car) and a change of oil filter and clean of breathers did the trick.

·
Registered
242 Posts
stop guessing and do as EVOVI advised - get a leakdown test, as a straight up compression test will not always indicate a problem.

the issue with the oil cooler is a concern - make sure the inlet and outlet are connected in the right sequence.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
We are speaking about the pistons/cylinders etc,not the coolingsystem,yes.

I dont know how you say in UK,maybe pressureloss-test or whatever(In Deutschland its "Druckverlustprüfung")
Ok, it seems like there is some other test you referring to?

I'm not quite sure what your "Druckverlustprufung" is then? Because with a leakdown test, you hook up the apparatus to your radiator.

If you not talking about the leakdown test, and you not talking about a compression test either (where you remove spark plug, insert apparatus and crank engine over), then how does this test that you mentioned work? :confused:

I would be interested to know, as more ways of checking are always welcome?

thanks evo :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
DANOOH. Its not a case of guessing. Im trying to source a blockage really 1st befor I have to go to a garage and pay out over £100 for them to tell me its just blocked in the breathers.
Ill no today if I need a tests carrying out.

So any chance it could somethink wrong with the oil cooler?

I seriously dout its that as its connected up to the insert plate for the kit and if there was a problem with it surely it would stop the flow of oil and cause major damage straight away.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
So any chance it could somethink wrong with the oil cooler?

I seriously dout its that as its connected up to the insert plate for the kit and if there was a problem with it surely it would stop the flow of oil and cause major damage straight away.
You think it may be due to the oil cooler? :chuckle:

Mate, you need to listen more to what people suggest.

·
Registered
198 Posts
wet and dry compression test mate.

cleaning the breather's might not cure the problem, it might be a temporary fix to a bigger problem.

dry test will show piston or cylinder problem, wet will show any ring problem's.

hope this help's.

ps dipstick poppin out leads me to believe crankcase pressure, which is not a good thing, and i doubt cleanin the braether's is gonna help your situation.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks for the remark Trev.

Im not a mech but I no how to do most maintanace jobs etc. Im listening to people advice.
Yes if the dip stick blows out its due to pressure in the crankcase which can be cause by the engine not be able to breath.

Anyway, no large amounts of air comming from the breathers. The dip stick had no resistance what so ever so I put a tiny bit of tape to hold it in. I have not taped it so it wont come out but just right to how they should be.
Took it for a spin and it hasnt blown out.

Im getting a compression test done tomorrow morning but the guy cant do the leak down. The engine will be full inspected by my mate (who is on here and the other side) when on the ramps aswell.

Rod Bell can do a leak down for me so Ill see what happens and if I find anythink else out tomorrow.

Everyones help/advice is appricated and I hope it can help others out in the future. Ill let everyone no how I get on.

Baz

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Ok, it seems like there is some other test you referring to?

I'm not quite sure what your "Druckverlustprufung" is then? Because with a leakdown test, you hook up the apparatus to your radiator.

If you not talking about the leakdown test, and you not talking about a compression test either (where you remove spark plug, insert apparatus and crank engine over), then how does this test that you mentioned work? :confused:

I would be interested to know, as more ways of checking are always welcome?

thanks evo :)

Its more like a leakdowntest for the cylinders,i will look if i can find a english word for it,in one of my books:)

·
Registered
750 Posts
You need to do a leak down test, Compression test just checkes the engine for compression, the leak down test fills the cylinder with pressure, upto 90psi if needed. A compression test would be fine on a normal NA engine, but the turbo engines have high PS in the cylinders, that a compression test cannot show, your rings could be blowing the oil out when your running 1 bar boost, but fine at idle. 90psi will tell you whats happening.

The other thing is do a wet test first to be 100%.
Remove plug and put 2 cap fulls of oil in, leave 5 mins and rotate engine, making sure you have oil in the rings creating a seal, then do the leak test.

Also best to do on both a cold and warm engine.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
yep, leakdown test is basicially a compression tester cut in half and connected to an air compressor (idiots version)

better way of determining blowby/compression loss and it will even tell you exactly where its coming from too unlike a compression tester

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The car has been looked at fully.

Compression test carried out. Results are all 6 cyclinders where between 140-145.
Also checked each cyclinder with an endo-scope and all is well. The engine still looks very new and so it seems it has had a rebuild. We cant tell if it has forged pistons but theres defo a metal head gasket.
No feathering (hope thats the right word) on edge of pistons either.

Champion plugs fitted so they where binned and Greddy Iridiums fitted.

Im still thinking of getting a leak down test but been told after 2 days of the way I drive and no dip stick popping it all looks OK.
Also I spoke to a guy today who had the dip stick blow out while on the track and the guy looking at my engine said he had done work on another 2 where the dip stick had blown.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Used to happen to my cossie Baz, it had no compression issues either. Brether system was a bit blocked though. A quick de-coking and it was sorted, oh and also a new O ring and cable tie never goes a miss during trackdays either.

How are those rear wings looking anyway. Got to ask you a favour by the way. I'll PM ya.

Hope alls well anyhow.

Trav

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ive been told theres a clip you can buy to hold the dip stick in for track days etc.
Anyone no where you can buy 1?

The arches are still in my garage. I bought another GTR (this one were the dip stick blows out) and the body work is excellent. So Ill probly be breaking the shell instead of getting all the body work done.

Ill await your PM Trav

·
Administrator
31,416 Posts
question for a friend

dipsticks popped out once!

white smoke pouring out of the exhaust

150 psi on all cylinders

car boosts, idles and runs fine

breather pipes are clear. Doesn't seem to be any massive "blowing" coming from the breather pipes if disconnected.

doesn't "seem" to be excessive oil in the boost pipes

does this sound like pistons or simply a oil seal exhaust side? what would a leakdown test tell us a compression test didn't?

please

mook

·
Registered
646 Posts
Blown/Worn Turbo seal can actually cause dipstick to blow out yeah?
My rear turbo died and my dipstick popped out the last time I drove it.
I'm still hoping my piston rings/pistons are okay (head is coming off for new h.g)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts