GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fear that in my research about a Nissan Skyline I may have been disillusioned by you guys. Let me give you some background.

I am over in the states, USA, where it is VERY hard to get a legal Skyline. I have been working for months on getting the proper stuff that I need and I FINALLY got one over here. It is a 97 GTR33. I was ecstatic to FINALLY have my Skyline, I mean I have wanted one of these for years and now I FINALLY have one literally a few days away. It is actually in the process of being titled as we speak.

Now for the actual background. I am coming for a BRAND NEW 2006 Mitsu EVO IX MR. The only reason that I do not have this vehicle anymore is because it was stolen. Insurance has of course paid this off in full. Well in the time I owned my EVO I LOVED it to death, however a Skyline was always there nagging in the corners of my mind. When my EVO was stolen I figured hell why not get a Skyline now?

As far as cost, believe it or not the Skyline would cost me significantly less. One of the primary reasons being insurance. My Skyline insured for $60k (correct number over here in the states believe it or not) is $100s less then what I paid for the EVO IX MR I had.

Both the EVO and the Skyline would be daily driven cars. Not to say I dont have other cars to drive when these break, just to say I would drive them quite often in normal driving conditions. However, I was planning to make both cars street monsters. I was in the process of putting about 650-700whp in the EVO and I plan to do the same for the Skyline. As far as drag goes, I enjoy it, but it wouldn’t be my primary reason for owning my cars. I want a street driven monster.

Anyway, to the nuts and bolts. I am reading around here and I read a lot of people saying that the EVO is a superior car to the Skyline. Plus believe it or not I did not find out until relatively recently that the Skyline is not AWD. I mean of course I knew about ATESSA and what not, I just didint know that it is RWD until Mr. Atessa kicks in. Disappointing to say the least. I love to corner and take turns in my car. That was one of the things I loved about the EVO. You could take it to YOUR limit and the car still had more to give. Based on my reading this is not so with the Skyline. Besides the AWD thing I hear/read other things just stating that the EVO is a better vehicle. This is really starting to weigh on my heart. I mean i've wanted a Skyline FOREVER, and now I FINALLY have one to hear its not all its cracked up to be. Alas... Babalyon.

Oh well, kinda just wanted to speak my piece and read what you guys thought. I know that the vehicle greatly depends on the driver and the application. So lets say an above average driver, and a daily driven 650-700whp street machine. Also keep in mind that the Skyline would be about $400-$500 less a month for me. Also I am not worried about maintenance or tuning costs. I voided the warranty on my EVO 2 days after buying it with mods, and I am originally coming from a 90 Eclipse GSX so I am used to crap breaking. Hell I killed the clutch in my EVO with only 3400 miles on it. But then again Mitsu purposely designs the stock one to be weak. So tuning and upkeep would probably be pretty similar. Ideas? Thoughts? No bashing btw, I know the EVO vs Skyline thing has been discussed, where do you think I got this dismal information from? I just kinda wanted to hear based upon my situation since mine is unique. None so far are about an EVO IX MR and nor are any having the Skyline being a more economically sound choice. So I was just wondering. Thanks guys. Even though I must say........ I am very saddened in what I have read thus far.

-Sayajin

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
have you driven the GTR yet?

if you haven't,then once you do,you'll never regret it,trust me on that one

the Evo is a much smaller/lighter can,and yes on twisty tracks/roads it can/will stay up with a Skyline,even overtake it,but,get yourself on an open road,and it's bye bye Evo unless it's pushing some serious bhp

·
Registered
91 Posts
not so sure

Where did you get that info off this forum?

The skyline is more that a match for an EVO like for like, lets not forget the skyline is 10 years older than the EVO. And it will still give it a kicking like for like.

And whats more only a very small % of drivers could push a skyline to its limits. And as for AWD why waste transmission losses on front wheels when traveling in a straight line? it will be there when you need it

Regards

·
Registered
67 Posts
How hard have you driven the GTR? They are a very rewarding car. With experienced drivers, stock for stock, I have seen an R33 GTR versus a Evo IX on many tracks. The only time the Evo has come out on top was very small and tight circuits, everywhere else the GTR wiped the floor with it.

They arent as small and nimble as an Evo, but after you have had it some time you will learn how to get the best out of it.

The AWD in the GTR works better than the Evo in my opinion, you can get alot greater turn in at alot higher speeds in a GTR. Granted the rear end will step out a bit but the AWD will pull you straight again while you are stomping on the gas giving it all its got.

I dont think you will be disappointed.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Stop whinning like a girly if you have'nt drivern a GTR yet ,as for the permanant 4 wheel drive compared to the GTR'S 4 wheel drive when needed, there is a huge differance .Put it this way mate if ya dont like the GTR and you live in the states and the car is properly legal :rolleyes: you wont have any trouble selling it,then buy another Scooby/Evo whatever:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above.
Wait until you actually get to drive your car, then you will understand. Take your car out onto a quiet open road and have some fun, Ill give you 10 minutes and you`ll be hooked:)

You shouldn`t believe everything you read on this forum, lots of people on here dont even have GTR`s so their comments have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Oh and welcome to the forum, and let us know how you are in a week or 2.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Sayajin

I went from Subaru to Skyline.
Now as a point and squirt car I loved my Subaru [bought 5mths old and kept for five years]. I can honestly say I prefer the behaviour of the GTR as I don't feel my license is in danger every time I drive it. And I drive my GTR often :)
In my honest opinion, I think you will find the GTR more rewarding.
The ATTESSA is actually a good system and you WILL be able to power out of corners, possibly with more of a shove in the back than the Evo but that too is my opinion.
Also, as a Street Machine, in the States, you will also be getting some kudos by having a car not so easily available. Therefore the "pose" factor kicks in big time.
You always wanted a GTR. Now you've got one. Be happy. If it really does go tits up there should be quite a queue to take it off you.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Blimey!

I read every word of your initial post and found virtually no substance. Lot's of words, loads of hearsay, plenty of opinions, hardly any facts (and not all of them correct)

I suggest you take a GTR out for a drive and try and get to 50% of it's potential. If you can even do that on the road you'll be amazed. Failing that get it onto a track and then you will see. Until then I don't think you can compare.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think you can make the Skyline AWD with some fairly simple mods.

I have gone from an EVO to Skyline back to an EVO. The Skyline is definitely the better car in my opinion. Much more depth to the whole experience. You will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Personally I find the late evo's to be no more than a washing machine on steroids, its fast as hell but there is no spirit to the car and any idiot can drive one fast, Skyline GTR is a real mans car in comparison. Question is are you man enough to be sideways before that power gets to the front wheels? :D R33's are pretty tame compared to an R32 so you wont have to much trouble around the bends.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What no-one has mentioned is that they are both very different cars, designed for very different circumstances - Evo is a rally car, Skyline is a track racer (a very basic description) so both will have characteristics according to need.
The Evo can be driven hard by most and will save you if you make a mistake, the Skyline can be driven hard by most and depends on you to develop your skills to take it further, if you do there is a whole world to explore, the better you get at driving it the more it seems you can do with it.
It is not designed to zip around like the Evo, too big and heavy for that, but get over about 60ish and on a good open road and then see which one you want.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
What a bizarre thread. Disillusioned all because you found out it's not permanent 4WD and you've not even driven the car yet... As Naz says above, it's very simple to cure that anyway.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Contact R32COMBAT on this forum and get him to sell you one off his torque split controllers, you might find this will ease the transition from permanent to variable AWD. I had a powerful EVO and decided to go Skyline...... never looked back:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Dont get me wrong gentlemen. I am not saying that I am not happy about my Skyline purchase. Nor am I saying that the Skyline is not a hell of a machine. What was Disillusioned for me was the initial idea that the Skyline is a complete and utter super machine. Of course the Skyline is a hell of a vehicle, that is not up for debate. I guess my question was if I was giving the Skyline too much credit as a whole.

Indeed I have not yet driven my GTR so I am not yet sure about the true potential in the Skyline, I will of course have more to say once I do. Also I am not really worried about making a bad decision, hell I can easily sell a legal Skyline over here in the states.

I guess my post was really just to say, is the Skyline not the incredible, car killing, super machine that I initially thought it was. Truthfully I was kind of shocked to hear that an EVO could hold a candle to a Skyline at all...

-Sayajin

·
Registered
25 Posts
my diagnosis(for what it's worth) is that you have been living in america too long and its starting to affect the part of your brain which is responsible for rational thinking. nice car by the way.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I took an Evo driver out in My 33GTR a few weeks back. His reaction;
''Jesus this thing has legs, I want one''
Mine's only a stage 1. The kind of power your talking about would scare the **** off me!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
On the normal USA type of roads and bends the GT-R will be king, every little boy racer will want your ar$e and be able to take it and it will probably draw a lot more attention than any supercar apart from the $200k+ club so I bet within 1 day of owning it you will be very very happy :). There are lots of cars out there that are the equal of a GT-R but you have to spend a LOT of cash for one of them :bawling: .

The Scoobs and Evos are incredible cars for back roads (like in rallies) and no one will catch them there but on a standard A class road and especially a track day you will be just driving around on your own overtaking all the rest on the track at some point in time. :cool:

The Skyline is also cheaper per bhp to mod and you can have a very powerful (and usable) car for little funds. I would like to add an Evo to my collection someday (just one car at the moment :( ) but as a complementary car to the GT-R as they are different and not to replace it.

The GT-R is a very special car, I have parked my car at garages where Evos, Scoob and all manner of fast cars where and the only person anybody came to talk to about their motor was me - now that's special :clap: .

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You have no reference

For how a Skyline feels. Evo is full time 4WD - and?

Rear wheel drive for the feel, becoming four wheel drive when you need it, and four wheel steer if you overcook it. Do not be tempted to mess with the torque split until you've had the car a while.

That being said, the R33 GT-R is a heavy beast and in stock form, to me, it felt a little sluggish. But, I am currently running just under 500bhp at the fly with just over 400 ft/lb and I would not trade it for anything - not even a Veyron. (Having a Veyron as well is a pet dream and a different conversation :D)

Do not be put off by the BBS posts. And remember, not matter what you have, there will always be some f***er who's faster, done it cheaper or has shinier.

But you will have a legendary virtual supercar in a country where they are slightly rarer than rocking horse sh*t. Enjoy it. From the people watching point of view, it will be "look at that lucky dude in the Skyline" not "oh he's got a Skyline but the Evo IX is better".

You are getting the car of your dreams. Don't let the opinions of others ruin the fulfilment of a dream. That's letting yourself down.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts