GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure we've all been a bit put out by ownership costs of Skyline ownership, but I'm wondering if the time is nigh to say bye-bye.
Took my car in for what I suspected would just be an MOT and fixing of a slight rattle from the antiroll bar strut. Now I'm faced with a bill for nearly £3,000 for new front discs, rear brake hoses, fixing turbo elbow blowing and gaskets (oh, and fixing of the original antiroll rattle). I only drove the thing 3 times since the last service when it needed £1,300 on a new clutch, and none of these 3 new faults were noticed then. All in all I have only driven 8,000 miles in my car over the duration of nearly 3 years of ownership, yet these 8,000 miles have cost me over £10,000 in garage bills. The car is a UK 99 R34 GTR running around 400bhp (stage 1 upgrade done around 6,500 miles ago). I've only driven on the track once and am pretty "mechanically sympathetic" when it comes to driving, so are these kind of costs normal?

I have been thinking of selling up and getting the new 2.5l impreza STI as a sole car instead - is this heracy?

Still thinking at the moment before deciding to sell. Pics of car are on one of the members photos threads from last year.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Take it to RB mate u'll get a better price and Rod still does some of there work. Rod and 2 other people that work there used to work for middlehurst.

Graham

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Keep it and drive it mate.
I love Impreza's but would never go back to one.
As suggested, get some quotes from other reputable sources and make a decision.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only taken it to Middlehurst because of some false sense of security thinking it's the best place to take it to get a complete service history especially since it was an ex-middlehurst car in the first place. I realize now that this is not worth it. Next time, if I still have the car I'll take it elsewhere

·
Registered
930 Posts
not all bad mate :D i did 3000 miles in my s1 exige before i sold it and in that time i never tracked her once. Needed a full engine rebuild, track rod ends, new windscreen, 4 new yoko a048's and a full set of discs and pads....not much change from 11k on top of what i paid for her!!! I put it down to a bad experience which everyone will have with a car at some stage in their life im afraid. If you want cheap reliable thrills i would go for an 1999 honda integra type R, track it and thrash it allll day long. A scooby or an evo still needs oil changes every 3k, services every 6k and will still cost an arm and a leg for clutches etc. Tuning the cars past 330bhp is silly money too

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Buy a cheaper car? :rolleyes: :D

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
MPC-GTR said:
I'm sure we've all been a bit put out by ownership costs of Skyline ownership, but I'm wondering if the time is nigh to say bye-bye.
Took my car in for what I suspected would just be an MOT and fixing of a slight rattle from the antiroll bar strut. Now I'm faced with a bill for nearly £3,000 for new front discs, rear brake hoses, fixing turbo elbow blowing and gaskets (oh, and fixing of the original antiroll rattle). I only drove the thing 3 times since the last service when it needed £1,300 on a new clutch, and none of these 3 new faults were noticed then. All in all I have only driven 8,000 miles in my car over the duration of nearly 3 years of ownership, yet these 8,000 miles have cost me over £10,000 in garage bills. The car is a UK 99 R34 GTR running around 400bhp (stage 1 upgrade done around 6,500 miles ago). I've only driven on the track once and am pretty "mechanically sympathetic" when it comes to driving, so are these kind of costs normal?

I have been thinking of selling up and getting the new 2.5l impreza STI as a sole car instead - is this heracy?

Still thinking at the moment before deciding to sell. Pics of car are on one of the members photos threads from last year.
That would be the skyline Tax!

Seriously mate, try and get handy with a spanner and a ratchet, because if you do you can save thousands and owning a skyline would not be a financial burden.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Yunis A,Im a machanic by trade and love working on cars,aside from having a hyundai elantra(4cyl mitsubishi engine) for petrol reasons (40mpg hwy/30mpg cty) and a pain in the bum to do a break job on(pressed rotors) the fact of the matter is I have saved god knows how much$$ on repairs by doing them myself and its fun so if your love of cars is more of driving them and not so much working on them you should get a cheaper car and track it you will save money in the long run,as soon as I get my GTR my girl will be under the bonnet with me working on it I can't wait!

·
Registered
341 Posts
been looking for new shocks for my 99 gtr, rb motorsport and abbey both quoted about 80 inc vat for the fronts.
middlehurst quoted 150 something without vat!!!!

just my experience

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Look at the labour rates you pay before committing. Newera charges £45 + VAT with qualified and honest staff who won't tell you you need something you don't. Not saying Middlehurst do this, but we know of at least one well known tuner who makes a habit of telling customers they need a lot more repairs than is really the case.

PM me if you want details for reliable service work that won't break the bank.

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Newera said:
Look at the labour rates you pay before committing. Newera charges £45 + VAT with qualified and honest staff who won't tell you you need something you don't. Not saying Middlehurst do this, but we know of at least one well known tuner who makes a habit of telling customers they need a lot more repairs than is really the case.

PM me if you want details for reliable service work that won't break the bank.
Well 45+vat is the going rate these days, which is not too bad I suppose. But when you get tuners saying 70+vat 90+vat and 100+vat that is a hell of a lot of money to be throwing down the rubbish bin! Which is why it pays to be able to do majoriy of the work yourself and only when you are challenged by lack of a ramp, or work space/equipment should you look for assistance. Or do your home work and find a good tuner that charges good honest rates.

When it comes to honesty over money, people forget the honesty part as greed takes over. Its human nature so I guess its the punters that have to be smart and keep one step ahead.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
crazylabmonkey said:
I agree with Yunis A,Im a machanic by trade and love working on cars,aside from having a hyundai elantra(4cyl mitsubishi engine) for petrol reasons (40mpg hwy/30mpg cty) and a pain in the bum to do a break job on(pressed rotors) the fact of the matter is I have saved god knows how much$$ on repairs by doing them myself and its fun so if your love of cars is more of driving them and not so much working on them you should get a cheaper car and track it you will save money in the long run,as soon as I get my GTR my girl will be under the bonnet with me working on it I can't wait!

I can see what your saying....but....

For some of us who are not mechanically minded (me for instance) shouldn't own a skyline:mad: So should I just go out and buy myself a Micra and be grateful cause I dont know how to do some of the work on my car???:confused:

OH come on be serious!!!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
koopa said:
If you want cheap reliable thrills i would go for an 1999 Honda integra type R, track it and thrash it allll day long. A scooby or an evo still needs oil changes every 3k, services every 6k and will still cost an arm and a leg for clutches etc. Tuning the cars past 330bhp is silly money too
Very sound advice - Hondas run all day long and if they break they are cheap to fix. To be honest pulling away from a Type R in a stage 1 GT-R will require you either dropping the clutch at stupid RPM's or driving at illegal speeds so just as much fun can be had with a Teg Type R and they corner fantastically well also :smokin:

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
jimfortune said:
I can see what your saying....but....

For some of us who are not mechanically minded (me for instance) shouldn't own a skyline:mad: So should I just go out and buy myself a Micra and be grateful cause I dont know how to do some of the work on my car???:confused:

OH come on be serious!!!
did you read what else I said? wise up and find someone who charges good honest rates:)

I do feel sorry for skyline owners especially those who are on normal salaries.

Tuners seem to think based on the days when new R33 were 50k and those who brought it were super rich dudes, so they just kept pushing rates higher and higher.

I have accepted defeat a few times and got a garage to do the work for me.. and my wallet did not get raped either:)

1 - 20 of 128 Posts