GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eveyone seems to plug and play so to speak (just pay the tuner) I reckon maybe a DIY tune would be something a bit different and maybe food for thought?

My car started as litchfield Stage 2 (Now Litchfield Stage 4). The end goal is max power on standard engine internals. Should be fun and end up around 730-750bhp and only paying for parts and ecu files (unless I end up with COBB and self tune). All mechanical work done by myself.

Got to say, happy with stage 4 but just not a big enough step from the F10 M5 or remapped V10 RS6. Although faster they would be nipping my heals.

Pics and problems / fixes to follow.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
look forward to seeing this progress. I assume from your post you have also just 'paid the tuner' or bought ready modified. Meaning the next step that you might attempt yourself is to fit turbos, fuel pump and possibly intercooler?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It came with Stage 2 now stage 4. Yes i paid the tuner (litchfield) for Stage 4 Motorsport map.

I will do a small write up of progress so far and issues encountered.

I have nothing against the plug and pay route I just hate paying for something I can do myself. Its part of the fun for me of owning this type of car.

Plans

Intercooler (bought)
Hardpipe kit (bought)
Fuel pumps
Turbos
Re-valved shocks or 2011 gear
Cobb & self tune module (possibly not decided yet)
Brakes
De-Catted down pipes
Sound Proof interior (stuff bought)
Gearbox clips (possibly, I am not hard on my cars, launch etc)

I am sure there is more stuff i have forgotten about but you get the idea

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Sounds good and doing hardcore level work yourself is not common on the R35. Check out Hodges build thread as he has done a fair amount of work himself and am sure the info within will be of interest to you.

There is also a how to guide on here for fitting catless downpipes and if you look on the AMS website there is also decent how to guides for most of the bits you mention above, including turbos and intercooler (standard fit intercooler anyway). For the turbos though in every case I have seen, it requires a car lift and the dropping of the engine out of the bottom.

What intercooler have you got? And do you know what turbos you are going to fit?

Not convinced I would swap out the ecutec system for cobb though.

Actually, I assume you would need Litchfield to uninstall the ecutek. Come the time, I have a cobb NIS006 and could be interested in going the other way if the cost to change is right. Give me a shout and maybe we could sort something out.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a SRD intercooler (Well i will have next week)

I like Ecutek but i hate the fact i cant do anything with it. Cobb will let me play as much as I like.

I have not looked into it fully yet but I dont think Ecutek works like Cobb. No need to remove anything.

Yeah i looked at hodges build, he seems a pretty hands on guy. good to see

not been on that site must go have a look, thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
DIY 750bhp project??

They've never been pushed past 1.5 bar. I've got a built engine so will wind them up a bit, I'd think early to mid 800's will be possible. Aiming for a fast road car so not to fussed about peak numbers

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bad day at the office.

Left my son (apprentic mechanic) to remove my front pipes while i went xmas shopping. Results below:eek:

2 studs snapped in the turbo housing.

I guess it forces me down the bigger turbo route quicker than i had planned.

Not sure if i can fix in insitu but does not look easy.

now just to decide the way forward.

1. Struggle to get studs out
2. Remove turbos and upgrade
3. remove engine and as above

Turbos look like they can be removed with engine in, looks like i will know in the next few days

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Sorry to see that. Such a shame when that sort of thing happens.

What pipes were you removing? The turbo inlets (the bit with the recirc pipe) or the MAF pipes?

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
That's what I'm running. I love it.

You will need a remap for the car to run properly with catless downpipes fitted - Have you got a generic map to run initially?

1 - 20 of 192 Posts