GTR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Bit of both really.

I bought the intercooler with 4 missing metal connecting pipes but just thought I would order more. Given the size etc prob around £60 - £80?? Oh no, you can only buy the complete pipe / hose kit at over £300. Stupid!!!

The hard pipe kit wont line up. The pipes have been over bent. Even the top pipes (which i have got to fit) have been over bent. I thought maybe the intercooler was at fault so I tried the old intercoolers back on and got the very same result.

Bottom hard pipes will never fit in a month of Sundays, so just using the standard turbo outlet pipes for now. I would like bottom hard pipes but i reckon i will struggle to buy only the bottom ones

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thats a bastard!
I'm assuming the hardpipes that you had came with the SRD kit and then you had to purchase the bottom set? I'd seriously be getting on to them if the pipes made specifically for their i/c dont fit mate. Thats piss poor and we are not talking peanuts in terms of ££ here or time and effort involved. i/c swap itself should be very straightforward and no way should have taken you that amount of time and effort. :mad:

Ooooo i'm feeling all forthright after that!!!:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Ok,

Dont buy these air fliters unless you are willing to do loads of mods to the plastic around the intakes they are just too big.

K&N RX-2820 is just too big because it has no taper.

You could have the exact same filter with a tappered end, that would fit with limited mods. 5 min job compared to a few hour job.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Should be going this weekend if i stop messing around.

As you can see if it was tappered at the end it would fit with minimal mods. Still need to tidy up the hole. Certainly will have plenty air flow though.

Filter is far enough back now to leave the pedestrian safety system in place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Is it possible Paul that by having such a large filter, you fill the area in the bumper which restricts the airflow into it. Whilst you're unlikely to get any ram effect with a gtr, with additional space around the filters you are more likely to get airflow in and around them. Having seen the flow path and what's around it, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
yes 100%.

Check out post #98 you can see the material i removed to give more flow into the filter. Even then the filters would not fit so had to cut more away.

using the same type of fliter with a tapper would still require some of the plastic removed to promote air flow to the fliter.

The filters I was running are ok for around 650 - 680 but will struggle after that.

i have seen a lot of projects where they put HUGE filters in the engine bay but i did not want that. On the move i dont suppose it causes much of an issue but slow moving traffic etc you are bound to such hot air into the engine.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Looking at the K&N fliters the one i would go for if i did it again would be

RC 4650, max size for minimum mods

or

RF 1030, bit bigger but may require a tad more mods, still easy fit though.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Yeah the urge is always to go too low. looks smart but causes too much hassle.

Both my lads run coilovers and they are slammed. Horrible ride comfort but look smart. Too old for that lol.

I will only be going around 25mm lower. Dont want hassle with speed bumps etc

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I run the KW sleeve kit and it is incredible. Gives the car a nice engaging feel that I think the standard set up lacks. Also makes it more comfortable. Hodge fitted these recently and made similar comments to the above in his build thread.

getting close now Paul!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well done paul, great work, you must have a lot of patience.
Looking at your post regarding the hardpipes, are they the janspeed ones by any chance, the look very similiar. Also, if they are, at 2.75 inches, do you think they will limit airflow and as a result your hp target?
Btw, she sounds great in the video.
Regarding the kw kit, my car is standard height, which is fine where speed humps are regulation height, but I have drove over ones, which are'nt and scraped my 90mm exhaust, just be careful.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Well done paul, great work, you must have a lot of patience.
Looking at your post regarding the hardpipes, are they the janspeed ones by any chance, the look very similiar. Also, if they are, at 2.75 inches, do you think they will limit airflow and as a result your hp target?
Btw, she sounds great in the video.
Regarding the kw kit, my car is standard height, which is fine where speed humps are regulation height, but I have drove over ones, which are'nt and scraped my 90mm exhaust, just be careful.
Hard pipe kit is japspeed. i did not measure the pipes. I only have to 2 top pipes fitted dont think it will cause a problem. Might measure them tomorrow.

The pipe is way too loud in real life. it does sound awesome though lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Just about there.

Filters fitted surprisingly well. I cut off the ends of the bolts that hold on the pedestrian safety system and that is enough to clear the filters. hard to tell from the pic.

Found an easy way to fit the bumper on your own. 2 Tie-wraps through the grille (one either end of the grille) and round the very top bumper support. lift one side at a time and tighten the tie-wrap keep going enough to connect the headlight washers, then a wee bit more etc etc until you can locate the side fixings.Worked well.

Away all weekend so work stops again :-(

Attachments

101 - 120 of 192 Posts