GTR Forum banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
1.5 bar capped in low rpms will still be very quick I suspect. Yes reading loads re how to reduce lag. It seems plenty can be done through valve timing.

According to Ben my turbos are ok to 1.8bar. That will be the very max I run higher up the rev range.

That COBB stuff looks very complex and intuitive. hope its as good as it sounds

I am not sure how much control COBB gives but I intended having different boost limits in different gears to aid traction. The new COBB stuff may negate the need for bespoke limits?
1.5Bar on those turbos with no gearbox mods is still bye bye gearbox. 660 is the proven safe limit - which looking at the compressor maps is about 1.3 bar until 4,500. That said, depending on the wastegate control ports 1 bar is always enough lowdown and build from there with a good ignition map.

I know I have a 4.6 but you know what - its a biach at breaking things.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Got the plastics on under the bonnet today so I could was it for the first time in 4 months.

Beauty and the beast, just not sure which way round they are:)

Fixed the beetle tdi brakes as well today. Anyone want to buy a cheap beetle:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
No, close though.

things to do.

1. Fit 2 new fuel pumps
2. Remove steering column and turn steering one complete turn
3. Fit undertrays and splitter.

Loads of erros today though. Engine light, bonnet light, TC not happy, and finally stability control is unavailable (or something like that) Prob just needs all the codes cleared and taken for a run.

I reckon monday or tuesday she wil hit the road. Only REAL issue is the exhaust. I reckon 5 mins on the road and the rozers will have pulled me. Small town where I live and everyone knows everyone. i hate it lol

There is a local exhaust shop i might get him to weld in a silencer to my Y pipe

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Asnu Fuel pumps fitted today.

Not a 2 min job. although not difficult its a bit fiddley and time consuming.

I managed to break the top black wire. Very easy to do when messing trying to figure out how to remove the pumps. Crimped and soldered the wire back on. No idea what id does as it goes nowhere. it just connects to the plasting plunger that goes insire the pump housing but no metal connections.

As you can see my fliters as a bit messy so gave them a good clean with fuel. Asnu pumps are 100% plug and play. The surge tank is pretty clean though

now if i can only get the O ring to shrink I will be done. its currently in the deepfreeze.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Deep freeze won't help. It's absorbed petrol fumes.
I put mine on a plate over a pan of hot water, with a piece of kitchen roll as a cover. Pinch small hole in the paper.

Had to replace the water a few times. Good as new and a perfect fit :cool:

£12 saved. :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Yeah thats what i am doing now. Freezer did nothing lol

not so much the £12 saved but time. i would struggle to get an o ring this week. Want to play lol

I can see the knife and super glue making an appearance shortly

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Well had her ooot for a blast. Minimal boost and timing until i do some logs. i think it is going to be fast. It is fast now but plenty to come I reckon.

It has plenty low down grunt, turbos come on strong around 3k, I am more than happy with that. prob better once the tweaking is complete.

So, all the DIY stuff i have done and I cant even work out how to do logs on Ecutek lol

Away to pick up my new pistons tomorrow:D

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
What Pistons you having buddy?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
CP. Was going to be Mahle but these CP ones came along by pure luck, could not help myself lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Thanks. will give that a shot tomorrow. only had it out for a quick 10 min spin.

Driver side brake sticking other than that it ran well.

only showing around 1 to 1.05 of boost. My actuators are 1.2bar and the paperwork that came with my turbos stated, tested at 1.2bar. So i guess my intercooler and pipwork is losing around 0.15 of boost. which i guess is about right.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Could not resist. i am a second hand junky. They have never been out of the box neven mind been fitted but second hand all the same.

now anyone got some rods they dont want:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Had a couple maps from Ben tonight. Ohhhh I like:) Took me ages to get rid of the 5 month old fuel in the tank. Did not want to rag it with rubbish fuel.

not finished yet but feels very strong. At this point deffo worth the effort and cash.

turbos are big with great potential i reckon. around 1.2bar to the red line and only 36% wastegate duty cycle.

these would be awesome @1.8bar.

Fingers crossed it will be dry tomorrow for more testing.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
boost now 1.4bar (thats as high as we are going). OMG this thing is fast. not enough revs though, hit the rev limit a couple of times as the revs climb so quick. Not increasing the limit on standard bottom end so need to stop dreaming and pay attention lol

Loads and loads of power I cant believe the power difference from Stage 4 to where i am now. it just goes and goes and goes. Deffo enough power for road use, not laughed this much in a car for ages

My v10 RS6 had between 690 & 710bhp, so very fast car, this thing would just destroy it and i mean completely destroy it WOW.

Going from stage 4 610bhp to Stage 5 750bhp ish cost me around £3600including remap. Amazing value for a crazy fast car.

I spent more on the intercooler and the biggest K&N filters i could fit in but you could easy run without these 2 options.

Still a few tweaks to do but overall i am delighted with the results. Thanks for the excellent service and maps Ben

Still going forged bottom end to fully exploit these turbos but i am in no hurry, there is enough power to keep me happy for a long time!!!!

I guess this is the max power on reasonable money and plenty fast enough. Once forged and the power is turned up everything else needs upgraded so things start to get real expensive.

Everyone should have one:bowdown1::bowdown1:

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Great job Paul.

I take it Ben capped your torque at 600 lbs ft or are you risking it for now?

Reactions: Huskyman
141 - 160 of 192 Posts