GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick my GTR up next Saturday wanted to know peoples thoughts on cleaning products I've always used meguires gold class just wondered what else is out there wash,polish,wax wise.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Had my DMG Car 18 months now and still not a swirl mark in sight! I use zymol autowash two buckets snd lambswool mit for washing,R222 paintwork cleanser for any polishing and R222 concours look carnuba wax. The wax is soft and needs topping up every six weeks or so but gives a fantastic wet look gloss and is so easy to use as it doesnt set hard like some waxes. Need to shop online for this stuff though usually.

Maybe a bit of iron x on the wheels for starters then megs hot rims all wheel and trye cleaner.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I've had a protection detail done on mine from The Detailing Bay to keep it tip top. Takes a day to do, but it's worth it. My car is DMG as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes thats the stuff. A bit more expensive than the stuff you will get at halfords but it will last you for ages. Also agree totally with the write up. It isnt the most durable wax but will make you car look incredible and so easy to apply top up coats will only take around 20 mins to do the whole car.

I have also tried megs gold class in the past and there is simply no comparrison.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I put a few coats of wax on is it just a case of wash and top up wax or do you use cleanser again?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Give it a once over with the cleanser before you wax it. This will remove any old wax and contaminants and help the wax bond to the paint. It will also remove any light swirls though it really does depend what state the paint is in to start with as to how good a finnish you get with the wax. If it is badly swirled it might need a machine polish by a detailer

I top the wax up around every four washes then give it another claying and prewax polish after about a year.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
Where are you based? If it's London way, just do what tens of us do and get it washed by someone else who knows how to do it!

That's if you are married with kids. If not, keep doing it yourself and relish it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
easy peasy

car bath to shampoo
paint rubber to clay
cleaner fluid to cleanse the paint
super expensive wax to protect

"the Swissvax way" :squintdan

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Is the swisswax easy to work with. Also would you use tardis before claying
clay and wax is yes - cleaner fluid you have to work quite small areas or it can be a pain in the rear

tar removal i tend to do after claying and use preptone rather than tardis

if you use a solvent before claying you have to re wash or the residue will melt the clay

i prefer to apply to a rag and work the spots away rather than bathing the car in the stuff

·
Registered
64 Posts
Always used a waterless car wash spray on mine. Posted info and pics on another thread with similar title on here. Leaves the surface feeling like a Teflon frying pan when done right, takes 20 mins and can be done in the garage.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Is Iron X ok to use on calipers and or body work
Iron X is safe to use, but just make sure it DOES NOT dry in. It also smells pretty nasty lol.

As for snow foam go for Chemical Guys No Touch Snow Foam, washing shampoo = meguairs shampoo plus, clay = i like bilt hamber soft
wax = i would go chemical guys 50/50. I've got a couple of BMD waxes I still need to try so don't know what they are like yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts