GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of det a month ago and killed my r33 gtst.

so anyway, its being rebuilt, rebore, forged pistons, tomei cams (256 in/ex), metla headgasket, and usual replacement items like N1 oil and water pumps, tensioners, cam belt, plugs etc.

anyway, I have an SAFC2 at the moment, and I just cant stretch to a PowerFC right now, so I would just like peoples opinion on running with the SAFC2.

I know my car is a baby in terms of power (standard turbo), but just wondered if the differences i've made will require something from the ECU which the standard ECU and SAFC2 together cant provide.

I will of course be getting ths safc2 mapped properly (as it was me playing that probably killed my pistons :D)

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
What's a SAFC2 Adam?

Make sure the metal gasket is the same thickness as the one it replaces as some on the market can be thicker to reduce the compression ratio for bigger amounts of boost.

Maybe with a boost and/or cam change you should really have a remap as the ECU delivers fuel based on the air going into the engine and not the efficiency of the process during combustion which is effected by the cam timing so it should run a lot better if mapped correctly. Also the cam timing can make the engine generate a lot more power (and therefore required fuel) at the top of the rpm range that the standard ECU may not have an accurate map for. Most ECU's once outside their range either cut the fuel or run a formula giving a VERY rich fuel mixture to protect the engine.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Looked it up - so it allows you to run a leaner/richer fuel mixtures by altering the AFM signal etc? You would probably be better asking a tuner this question just to be sure and seeing if mapping using this only is safe for the set up you have Adam.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm waiting to get my car back, hopefully wednesday night..

Stuck some 700 inj's in it before Power FC was mapped for them, on a friends advice (Garth) turned the injector percent down to 66% (or thereabouts, cant remember the exact figure) just to get it over there..

However, on the way over it was running like a bag of sh*te, misfiring something shocking..

At one point i was contemplating pulling over as max speed i could reach (at a dab of throttle only) was 35 mph..

I'm hoping that all this is, is plug fouling, or worse, knackered, cos it got started up on standard ECU after 700's were fitted, and obviously overfuelled like a mother.

But a strange thing happened on the way there... suddenly, the ignition light came on.. and it started to fire perfectly!

No misfire, smooth pickup.. with the IGN light on!

This happened for about 2 miles, then the IGN light went out again, and back to coughing and spluttering..

Weird....

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
That is weird.

Could be plug fouling because over rich or can also happen to a far too lean mixture :bawling: !

Is the 66% on the PFC a limiter (max 66%) or signal altering (pulse length signal * 0.66 - doubt it as pulse width is not linear normally)?

What was the oil temperature like?

It could also be electrical and a wire missing as some ECUs receive a signal from the fuel injection system (load signal) and if no signal then stalling and jerky driving and then after a short while a fault code.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Hi5 said:

so anyway, its being rebuilt, rebore, forged pistons, tomei cams (256 in/ex), metla headgasket, and usual replacement items like N1 oil and water pumps, tensioners, cam belt, plugs etc.

anyway, I have an SAFC2 at the moment, and I just cant stretch to a PowerFC right now, so I would just like peoples opinion on running with the SAFC2.

I know my car is a baby in terms of power (standard turbo), but just wondered if the differences i've made will require something from the ECU which the standard ECU and SAFC2 together cant provide.

I will of course be getting ths safc2 mapped properly (as it was me playing that probably killed my pistons :D)

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers
Adam
Adam,

I'd say you would be best off saving for the Power FC. It will give the results your after and is very reliable.

Andy.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Must admit ive never had any bother with mine loosing map, even had a dead battery in it for 2 weeks when i was away too.

Really cant comment on differances, but the PFC was one of the first things i purchased when getting all my bits in a box.

Andy

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hi Adam, got a 33gtst myself and other than hks pod filter, decat and exhaust its pretty much standard. I've recently upgraded to a twin plate clutch and the 2stage boost is removed.

I'm getting a PFC fitted at the end of this month with Rod Bell Motorsports in lancashire (on recommendation from Andy Hornsby). I have to say altho Andy's has significantly more modifications than mine you can hear how smooth the engine is (drove it myself and scared myself witless very quickly!) whereas as soon as mine gets above 5krpm it starts messing around and giving me trouble overfueling and the like. This is common with all the skyline imports and can be sorted massively with the PFC and remap.

I'm gonna post up my results at the end of the month and see what improvements it gives but everyone I've spoke to about it says one of the best modifications going for the car :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Caoboth said:
Must admit ive never had any bother with mine loosing map, even had a dead battery in it for 2 weeks when i was away too.

Really cant comment on differances, but the PFC was one of the first things i purchased when getting all my bits in a box.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Long time and all that.:) How's things?

anthonymcgrath said:
I'm getting a PFC fitted at the end of this month with Rod Bell Motorsports in lancashire (on recommendation from Andy Hornsby). I have to say altho Andy's has significantly more modifications than mine you can hear how smooth the engine is (drove it myself and scared myself witless very quickly!) whereas as soon as mine gets above 5krpm it starts messing around and giving me trouble overfueling and the like. This is common with all the skyline imports and can be sorted massively with the PFC and remap.

I'm gonna post up my results at the end of the month and see what improvements it gives but everyone I've spoke to about it says one of the best modifications going for the car :)
Says it all really Adam.:clap: Thanks for the support Anthony.:)

But getting back to your original question, you don't NEEEEED one, but you would be better off fitting one than not mate.

Andy.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ello bud (aplogies for hijack Hi5)

Might actaully make next meet (i hope) hardly been using skyline recently and been too busy sorting out wedding, cars getting some scratches sorted out at moment so hope to have it back soon.

Andy

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Caoboth said:
Ello bud (aplogies for hijack Hi5)

Might actaully make next meet (i hope) hardly been using skyline recently and been too busy sorting out wedding, cars getting some scratches sorted out at moment so hope to have it back soon.

Andy
Be good to see you and catch up mate,:blahblah:and have a natter.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hi5 said:

I just cant stretch to a PowerFC right now
Adam,

I'm not sure the above statements should be seen together.

How much has it just cost you to re-build your blown engine?

How much money are you putting at risk by not fitting a Power FC is my first thought.

Can you afford not to fit a Power FC might be a more realistic comment!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hi5 I've been itching to hammer mine and I just cant. I'm really looking forward to getting this PFC in as i know I'll have alot more of the car to play with afterward. If its getting a rebuild spend the extra 1k and get the PFC and remap mate you'll see more grunt and better use of all the goodies your gonna have fitted.
Btw if you need to get a good price on a PFC I can pass you onto a chap abroad - he did me mine for £452 inc. delivery to me door :) Everywhere i phoned in Britain wanted at least 600quid :(

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got my pfc for under 440 with hand commander from a guy on ebay, jps trading.

anyhow, back to my question of wether to use a pfc over an safc2, im still not convinced...

as for me killing my engine, that's because I was playing with the mixture with the safc, same as I could with a pfc.

I just dont see what the benefit is with a pfc over an safc2, and thats what i want to know :) I'm suprised no-one has anything technical to say about the differences :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Adam, I don't know the full extent of the SAFC features but the power FC is mapped to adjust fueling/ignition timing and injectors, these functions are adjusted to suit different loads/throttle inputs.You can also have 4 boost settings pre-programmed on the power fc and so if using the add-on boost control solenoid you do not need a seperate boost controller.

To use your SAFC properly you are going to have to have it set up properly ie AFR monitored with a wide band lambda sensor to ensure you do not have the same issues as before, so in effect you will be paying to map the SAFC just as you would a PFC.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I've currrently got an Apexi SAFC in my car too Hi5 and to be honest I just set the figures back to zero shortly after getting the car as it were overfueling like crazy. I since had a chap look at the SAFC and he adjust the values to negative offsets slightly (only slightly mind) to remove some of the hesitation and wotnot.

In all honesty I cant wait to have the PFC fitted as its gonna take care of it all for me really. I'll be able to make minor (and temporary most importantly) adjustments but Rod Bell is sorting it out so I'm betting I wont have to bother :) they may even suggest that my SAFC is now redundant and remove it.

hope it all works out over the next few days for you hi5 - make sure you post up results (dyno sheets etc) ...be interested in seeing your progress

...I'll show you mine if you show me yours an all that hahaha! :D

ant
toon

1 - 20 of 35 Posts