GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me if I require the cat for m.o.t's only got y pipe on mine? Been told the law on m.o.t's change this year on cat's not sure how true this is.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The Gtr has 4 cats 2 main ones in the downpipes and 2 secondary cats in the y-pipe

you'll pass a MOT with the secondary cats removed but not with the primary ones in the downpipes removed

·
Registered
522 Posts
It will pass the emissions with just the cats in the dps but it is illegal and an mot failure to remove a cat that was put there by the manufacturer.
Just pray you dont get a jobsworth of an MOT tester who is also a GTR expert!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just for removing the cats. It will still pass on emissions,most testers dont know that cats are supposed to be there though,you just tell them the only ones are in the down pipes.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
So is having a decat y-pipe technically illegal?

I've put off going full decat as thought it was this step that made it technically illegal. But if I'm already illegal fu*k it!!

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I was chatting to a family member who is an mot tester aboutthis and he too suggested the fail was simply for removing them. This surprises me that its not detectable through the emissions as i didnt think the downpipe cats were particularly visible, meaning if you didnt mention the removal of them then they wouldnt be able to tell.

·
Vendor
3,721 Posts
I was chatting to a family member who is an mot tester aboutthis and he too suggested the fail was simply for removing them. This surprises me that its not detectable through the emissions as i didnt think the downpipe cats were particularly visible, meaning if you didnt mention the removal of them then they wouldnt be able to tell.
You are spot on !
kk

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Hmm KK I can feel a market emerging for performance downpipes and y pipes with fake/hollow cats on for those super law abiding gt-r owners out there (if such a thing exists.)

·
Vendor
3,721 Posts
in the real world the only reason the car would fail due to the removal of the cats would be emissions
Not now as they are stipulating a missing cat is reason for rejection and on its own merit a failable item (missing cat).

The market will follow and change. How does the normal tester know if its missing if it passes a bets test. This is the grey area.

We know how we could assess all these things ! however this may pass over the NT,especially if the car meets the emission standards and he doesn't know a GTR inside out.

Best not to ask to many questions and take the pass :)

kk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts