GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brief history on why i need some advice

I keep my car behing a high fence every night im at home. now when we got the fence build i said it would be a good idea to make the gates for the drive the same hight and out of the same material as the fence so it doesnt look like its there, especially at night....

now the problem

worked great so far, noone that drives past would expect or even can see that my car is parked there BUT for the second time in two weeks ive come out to go to work and some tw*t has parked a car right infromt of the gates, presumably onver night when you cant tell the difference between the fence and the gates :p, and asked all the neighbours if they knew who's it was but no joy, anyway got the bus to work and ended up an hour late but hey, least i got to work

so the advice i need is do I

1 - put a sign on the gates saying othing like "please keep this clear at all times" or something to that effect and effectively say "i have something here you might want to try and nick!, reason for saying that is my old car was broken into last year parked outside the front of my house and cost me over £1500 to get it fixed :(
or
2 - live with the odd occassion when some n00b parks outside and i have to get the bus to work and still have a safe car, and good nights sleep

btw i have a decent alarm but have seen first hand how much damage these wan*ers do when they try to take summit that isnt theirs.......

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Just pop a sign up, Im sure a no parking sign wont attract half as much attention as when you actually drive the car in and out of there...

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Mate, I get people parking across / partially across my garage (or right up close either side of the garage door).

No-one around here gives a crap about other peoples access to their own property .... so I can rarely get my car out at all. I think i've used my car less than 10 times in 3 months.

I've got fed-up with it and have written to the council - their response "we're not going to do anything about it". So they are about to get a shittier letter.

EVERYONE around here has seen me struggle to get my car in and out of my garage, but they all parked inconsiderately anyway.

So I can fully sympathise with your position. Personally, I'd try putting an "access required at all times" sign up, and see if that works.

·
Registered
826 Posts
i agree,put a sign up.
this happened to me once luckily i have a big trolley jack and i pulled the car covering my drive into the middle of the road. :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Get yourself a paintspray and do some lines on the street,but dont forget to do it on some more garages in your street too,so that nobody can find you because of illegal spraying:D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Check to be sure, but I think you have legal right to clamp anyone's car that is parked in front of your garage and demand payment. Trouble is, they might come back and throw a brick through your window in revenge.

Stick up a sign on the gate...

Miguel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A few guys around my way have white lines laid down by the council, to ensure access to their drive. Not sure exactly how they differ from double yellows, but they're able to call the police if someone's parked on them.

Might be worth looking into?

·
R35 Section manager
11,269 Posts
We have the same problem with our gates,the good news is its one of our neighbours,so easy to find the owners of the offending car.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Good thread!

& Good luck! (There must be a fight for spots around your place, then?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is there a dropped kerb in front of the gates?
yes

would be easier to explain with pictures, but you never know who trauls through websites ( chavs) so aint going to post it

anyway, i have a trolley jack and never though of using it to tow the stupid BMW's FEMALE owners car away, would have taken some pulling as its a 5 series :eek:

think she got the message with the sign i left on her drivefrs window " please do not park infront of my gates as access is requires 24/7" and btw i used bostic to apply it :chuckle:

think signage will be the only answer, though using my wheel clamp sounds tempting tbh

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Council are repeatedly telling me there is absolutely nothing that they are prepared to do about it.

Wish I knew someone with a truck or something .... come tow away the offending vehicle (particularly this evening).

Apparently, as long as they don't actually cover the garage door there's nothing you can do about it ... even if it means you cannot actually manouvre anywhere because there's no space .. all you can do is go directly backwards - hit the curb directly opposite, and then drive forwards again. Hmmm, that's useful.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you've got another car.. or any family member in your house has... park it in front. That way at least you have the means to move it out of the way. :shy:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just drag it out the way into the middle of the road (length of rope tow hooks etc).

Then ring the police and tell then there is a car parked in the middle of the road,i hate people who park in front of my drive gates they deserve to be moved im my opinion. :mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would call a local towing company. Say "Hey I have cars parking in front of my driveway and I would like to put up a sign saying 'Will be towed if parked here' so in times I can call you, have it towed. Make me happy but also make you some money."

So all you would need to do is when it happens again, call the towing company. Get the car towed. And make new friends to tow you home when your car may break down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts