GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Put my car on the dyno today, got 361BHP and 282ft/lb of torque. This was at PE rollers where although generally consistent, if anything, they are slightly over-optimistic.

Car is following:

R34 V-Spec
Nismo backbox + centre
Trust downpipe + decat
HKS induction.

Now I got better torque from my Makinen which just had a straight through exhaust. Is it me or should I have expected better? Merv at PE (RR Controller) reckons Skylines are generally very unhappy being on the rollers because of the continuous torque split.

Comments?

Cem

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Evos do tend to have more torque at lower revs as they are designed to compete in rallies...and that is what is needed rather than outright power. From similar mods to an Evo you could expect around 330-340lft.
You should try to re-map your ECU and fit a boost controller to get 100% out of your modificatios. The you should get a much cleaner and smoother power/torque curve.
Thats my opinion......:)

·
Banned
349 Posts
Hi Cem,

DCD took the words out of my mouth. Get Abbey to fit a boost controller, 1 or 2 super AFRS and set the max boost to 1.2 bar (you will see spikes to 1.4 bar on the MFD at this level but thats ok. This should see you break the 300ft pounds marker, BHP should be 395 plus. It would help alot if you also fitted an intercooler.

Regards

Jamie.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Never set 1.2 on R34!!!!:eek:
The maximum Nismo has advised R34 owners to stick to is 1.14. That is the maximum safe level!(hold)
Mine's has set 1.05 on "HI" on mine...and it pulls like a train....don't see why anyone should risk expensive damage for a bit more boost.
Me 5 yens worth:)

·
Registered
547 Posts
R34 boost

Mind you, my turbos have boosted to 1.62 !! on standard R34 turbos

There's a fault which means it freely boosts at the moment. So seems like they are stronger than Nissan say!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Boost

Perhaps like you said Joss Nissan are erring on the side of safety with the Turbos capabilities. What we really need is for someone to annihalate a pair on the dyno :eek:. Any offers anyone. Guy you like annihalating Skyline parts ;) .

glen

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Joss....

What kind of problem?? Something to do with the actuators I suppose?
Is 1.64 peak or hold?? What settings do you have on your boost controller?

Sorry 'bout all the questions...I'm a nosey bugger:p

·
Registered
32 Posts
annihilating turbos.. guys... the turbos might be cheap to replace (on a relative scale) but generally what happens when you push turbos is you blow engines ! The compressor is taken outside of it's efficiency range heating up the air (not good), so unusually hot air goes into the engine, and coz your turbine is probably not capable of flowing beyond a certain point then it starts restricting air coming out of the engine. Some people call this "flow reversion" I call it "major wallet lightening"

Either way if you find someone game enough to do it get it on video coz it sure is going to spectacular. Somethings going to get lunched :)

Rowan

·
Banned
349 Posts
Mark ar Abbey has spoken directly to Garrett who say the 34 turbo's are good to 1.2 bar and reccomend that you set them to 1.15 as the wastegate problem refered to in this thread takes care of the rest. Mine hold at about 1.1 and a half but spike to 1.4 because the wastegate holes are a wee bit small.

I would'nt reccomend you go over 1 bar on 33 ceramic turbo's or take a high milage car and wind it up to much 33 or 34. Also, an intercooler like the one on Joss's car helps with the det.

Anyway guys, I'm now the proud owner of some 2510's and shall be at 1.4 hold very soon! 500 big one's here I come!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
jamie m....sure the turbos might be ok to 1.2 but that doen't necessarily mean that this sort of level would be good mated to an RB. I think I will stick to Nismo's advice.
Enjoy your 2510s!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
have you ever heard of an all-motor Skyline?
my mate tells me that there's one in Nagoya. it pumps around 350bhp-400bhp. must say that's quite a feat squeezing 350 horses from a 2.6L engine. i never got the conformation though, but my friend swears on his mom head he saw one when he visited his granpa.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey all,

I have to say that I was also told that 1.2 bar is pushing standard turbos. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

As for boost, fuel and air controllers, I'd rather go the full hog and stick on a fully mappable replacement ECU. I'm pretty much future proof then.

Cem

·
Banned
349 Posts
I am the first one to admit that the dury is slightly out on what long term boost the 34 ceramics will take. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating! - we will all know for certain in time to come.

Cem,

Your right that a Power FC will increase the power but you'll also need a boost controller to get the best out the car the in different weather conditions. As I'm sure you know, upgrading the turbo's, injectors and cams will be where you get the best power and torque gains.

Kind regards

Jamie.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
jamie m....I agree. One thing is for sure though, if Joss has seen 1.62 that means they sure are tough turbines!

Cem, as jamie m pointed out you will still need all the peripheral controllers if you do go with the fully programmable ECU. Mind you, keep in mind that these ECUs are piggy-back items that plug into the factory Hitachi ECU, so you don't get rid of the standard one. The R34 has an immobilizer and it needs the factory ECU to start!!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought the apexi power fc was a replacement ecu?

Assuming I am wrong I would not be happy using boost and fuel controllers. By the time you add up the costs, a generic ecu and loom adapter works out cheaper. For example I am considering a motec m800. These are fully mappable for boost fuelling and ignition timing as well as having some very trick features. They arent cheap but in terms of ability you do get what you pay for.

With regard to the immobiliser issue, the basic link ecus have the facility to work with the standard cars ecu, but failing this, I am happy to remove the item and really on after market immobilisation.

I am more keen to do this as after market boost controllers, although capable, do not allow the facility to tail off the boost towards the top end, I am not sure I would be comfortable holding the boost I would like to run in the mid range. Although easier to set up, a well mapped ecu should outperform such a set up.

My experience with Subarus and Mitsubishis has shown me the map is only as good as the mapper, so if anybody is aware of someone who fully maps Skylines, please let me know.

Although the turbo is a concern for me, I wouldn't want to run higher boost as I am unsure that the standard map in the ecu can accomodate the extra fuel demand needed when on boost. Standard ecus tend to run rich for safety reasons, but most of this buffer will surely have been used up by a better flowing exhaust with no cats? I wouldn't expect the standard ecu to be happy with a greater volume of cooler higher pressure air, not to mention the added benfits of an uprated intercooler.

Cem (headache now)

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Blow Dog....my advice to you is to think about what you want to achieve with your car in terms of power. A programmable ECU like the M800 might be a good idea if you are looking for big power but not so if you plan "light" modifications. Plus I really have no idea if anyone in the UK can map one for the GTR. A friend with an Evo 6 was considering one but in the end he decided on a GEMS unit which seemed to be good value for money and easier to get programed. I think these "race-spec" ECUs come with a base map for specific cars which means you can run your car straight after installing it. You would then need the hardware/software to map, not to mention someone with experence on both the ECU and the car! Its all a bit complicated :rolleyes:

As for larger I/C...here in Japan the usual advice is to forget about them untill you start creeping up to 600 or more horses. Until then you are better off improving the airflow with hard-piping kits rather than replacing the whole item. To give you an exapmle the Mine' Demo GTR, which develops 600 bhp and 60kgm has the standard I/C and piping....

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Nismo Advice

Just to back up what DCD has already said;
I know from spending 2 hrs with a translator talking to the guys at Nismo who build their GT500 cars that stock R34 turbos should not be held over 1.14. They are 100% commited to that number (although since I'm not a turbine engineer I couldn't really understand when they tried to explain why).

·
Registered
272 Posts
there is an R34 GTR in NZ with a M800 motec , it has not had too many issues I dont think , it also has slightly larger turbos and has done an 11.7 1/4 mile .
Brenhan.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts