GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the subject, I have two pairs of 380mm Alcon brake discs with hardly any wear, but they are slightly warped.

Can these be skimmed? Therefore do they have any second-hand value?

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
No reason the can't be skimmed I would think.

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
Yes, mine warped over a year back, got them skimmed and have been great since. :D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I doubt very much they are warped.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Try this, go out when roads are quiet, do 10 stops from 80-10 then drive for 10mins and try not to use brakes, repeat another 5 times and drive for 10mins without using brakes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all - any suggestions on where to get them skimmed? I'm happy to ship them.

I doubt very much they are warped.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Try this, go out when roads are quiet, do 10 stops from 80-10 then drive for 10mins and try not to use brakes, repeat another 5 times and drive for 10mins without using brakes.
Thanks - I have read that in the past, and even Litchfield said they'd only ever come across one set of warped discs before. But it was Litchfield that confirmed they needed replacing (or skimming). They were stumped as to how it was happening to my discs, not once but twice, and all within a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks all - any suggestions on where to get them skimmed? I'm happy to ship them.

Thanks - I have read that in the past, and even Litchfield said they'd only ever come across one set of warped discs before. But it was Litchfield that confirmed they needed replacing (or skimming). They were stumped as to how it was happening to my discs, not once but twice, and all within a few thousand miles.
Get them skimmed on the car
Brake lathes for on-car and on-truck disc skimming | Pro-Cut

·
Registered
353 Posts
So, when you say 2 pairs. Do you mean front and back, or gave you warped 2 pairs on either front or back?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,033 Posts
Not many engineering companies can skim them to good accuracy.

Once you have them done, measure them in loads of different places as I have personally seen a set done 3 times until they were any good.

Twice at one company and once at another

·
Registered
353 Posts
For clarity, there is a reason I ask. I had a 350z that chewed through discs and had people tell me it was pad deposits, warping etc. Turned out my car had a distortion on the hub that caused runoff and would show DTV after about 3k miles.

I just mention this because it's highly unlikely to warp discs these days, let alone 2 pairs..

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Once you have them done, measure them in loads of different places as I have personally seen a set done 3 times until they were any good.

It's expensive on these size discs too. Back along I had a pair of 390mm stock discs skimmed. Only one local place could do it - Hamlins, and they said it would be around 100 quid. Went to collect them and it had gone up to 260 quid, they said because of the time taken. Got it reduced to 210 but not happy with that price.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It's expensive on these size discs too. Back along I had a pair of 390mm stock discs skimmed. Only one local place could do it - Hamlins, and they said it would be around 100 quid. Went to collect them and it had gone up to 260 quid, they said because of the time taken. Got it reduced to 210 but not happy with that price.
Thats why I said get them done on the car, its the only way.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For clarity, there is a reason I ask. I had a 350z that chewed through discs and had people tell me it was pad deposits, warping etc. Turned out my car had a distortion on the hub that caused runoff and would show DTV after about 3k miles.

I just mention this because it's highly unlikely to warp discs these days, let alone 2 pairs..
Exactly as per your situation, the car had ruined two sets of front discs within about 3k each time. Each time Litchfield had the car back to try to diagnose the problem. They definitely checked the hubs and I think I had replacement bells. Paint on the back of the wheels was mentioned as a possible problem but I'm not sure whether that was the final culprit.

Anyway, the current set have been on for a while and all seems well so hopefully problem solved.

Granted it is more likely to be DTV than warping, but I know nothing about brakes!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

To be honest that's why I'd rather just sell the discs in their current state so someone else with a bit more knowledge than me has the responsibility of making sure they're good.

I'm sure they could prove good value to someone who's prepared to get them skimmed themselves but no idea on price.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Exactly as per your situation, the car had ruined two sets of front discs within about 3k each time. Each time Litchfield had the car back to try to diagnose the problem. They definitely checked the hubs and I think I had replacement bells. Paint on the back of the wheels was mentioned as a possible problem but I'm not sure whether that was the final culprit.

Anyway, the current set have been on for a while and all seems well so hopefully problem solved.

Granted it is more likely to be DTV than warping, but I know nothing about brakes!
Keep an eye out for it and don't go skimming stuff if it happens again until you have found the route cause. Otherwise you'll end up like me and buying 3 pairs of discs and skimming each pair once. Massive cost to keep treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

Good luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep an eye out for it and don't go skimming stuff if it happens again until you have found the route cause. Otherwise you'll end up like me and buying 3 pairs of discs and skimming each pair once. Massive cost to keep treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

Good luck.
Cheers James - fingers crossed. But yes I've definitely ended up spending more on discs than I should have. At 40k miles it should probably still be on the original set from the factory but I'm on the 4th set now. Expensive enough on a 350Z but eye-watering on a GT-R.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cheers James - fingers crossed. But yes I've definitely ended up spending more on discs than I should have. At 40k miles it should probably still be on the original set from the factory but I'm on the 4th set now. Expensive enough on a 350Z but eye-watering on a GT-R.
It was ultimately a Nissan hpc that diagnosed my 350z. As long as they have a genuine, experienced gtr master technician (not the teenager that changes the oil on micra) it may be worth taking to one to put a fine tooth comb over it. If it reoccur that is...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts