GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A comment made on another thread actually provoked this argument.
Along with the car being off the road [again] and the quest for power, torque etc blah, blah, blah we sometimes get caught up in.

So, what made you buy one. Has it lived up to your expectations. Do you look at it now and see a money pit, an A1 hit or a pile of sh*t

My car has let me down. Too many times. But driving it, I do forget and REALLY enjoy it. I know I should have jacked it after a year but the drives to Breda, thoughts of going bahnstorming it really is the only car I want to do it in.

Would you go through it again ... to be honest, I don't know if I have the energy. An M3 convertible or CLK AMG seem so much more appealing.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
No. Not at all. If id not gone so far with it idve sold it ages ago.

It will be an absolutley fantastic car when its done. As thats what they are, great cars, and ive taken great care to spec it in such a way that will maximise that.

But for ME its all about fun for your money, and IMO skylines are poor value for that, unless you get off on having a powerful skyline and impressing internet car geeks etc

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But Steve, you've never been going for big power.
When your car is finished, and its fantastic, will you be happy?
I'm not going for big power, I just want 1.2bar [famous last words]

I'm not having a go here, but I think you would have done a hell of a lot more research into the GTR than me. I just saw a car I liked and bought it. But are you getting value for the money you have spent. Or did it start out well and then financially snowball.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
So 850bhp or so isnt big power, bloodyhell, im obviously missing these 900bhp+ Skyines driving everwhere.

It will be fantastic, ill love it, worked on by some of the finest craftsmen in the car business, and a good example of how cool skylines can be, but ill still regret it all, lot of hastle for little returns.

I have put in a silly amount of work and research, and im pretty sure il get incredible valve for money for the spec and performance compared to other Skylines, id estimate at least double what ive spent if went down the traditional "i want this power, heres a blank cheque" route.

But that dont change the fact i still think they are poor value for money for what id class as fun compared to other options.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I've wanted a GTR for over 14 years and finally got one this year. I totally love it!! The last month has kind of pee'd me off a bit with it cutting out and losing power but this will all be gone when I replace the AFM's. There IS always that feeling that somethings gonna go POP at any minute which would be a major hassle for me at the moment. Next year it wouldnt be so bad as I'll have a garage to put it in to work on by then.
I would finish by saying that I'm very happy with mine but the experience has been tainted a little by the problems I've had. In its defence, the car is 16yrs old so I should expect a few niggles.

TT

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'll agree with Steve in that skylines arent good value for money. This may be partly due to skyline tax. A part for a skyline will usually cost more than another car because you mention the word "skyline" to the shop. :rolleyes:

I have been lucky with mine so far as in it has brought me much pleasure and nothing big has broken yet (good one Andy, you've jinxed it now! lol).

I agree that some people do throw lots of money at their cars and maybe dont get the return they expected, maybe due to bad luck with parts etc.

Im quite sure a caterham or a 7 etc. would be fun, but just not my cup of T, and would probably cost a lot less.

At the end of the day the car is my passion and i could quite happily spend £xxxxx on it and be happy. Its a hobby and it keeps me out of trouble and lets face it theres a lot worse we could all be spending our money on. :)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I definitely like my Skyline, and if it wasn't for personal reasons, I'd be keeping it too. I waited 15 years for the car I now have on my drive and to say that it has lived up to my expecatations would be a gross under-statement. It's blown them clean out of the water. It's phenomenally rapid, handles like nothing else I've had the pleasure of piloting and more crucially - it's never let me down. It starts first time and has never missed a beat. It's neither under or over engineered, all encompassing driver-envolvement and without a shadow of a doubt the most practical supercar available.

Nothing comes close.....IMO

Don't you just love them????

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I don't know how old you guys are but didn't you learn from previous cars you have owned & then modified with thousands of pounds of hard erned cash
& countless trips back & forth to the garage by taxi, but only to find in the end that you sold it for half the price you paid for it in the first place!!!

Surely the GTR isn't the first car you have bought & modified?:confused:

I think as you get older like me you learn to accept that no matter how fast your car is there is always someone with a faster one.:GrowUp:

That's why I choose not to modify my car's performance, but more on the way it looks:)

"The faster it goes the faster it breaks down" Therefore "The more you hate the thing":mad:

There's only 2 winners in the above: The Taxi Man & The Garage owner:smokin:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Tend to agree with skyit...we've all been there with the modifying thing. If you want to start from scratch then good luck. I started out wanting a decent stage 1 400bhp GTR. I bought the R32 over a very nice uk standard R33 that was 3k more but I know would have cost me another 10 in just wheels, suspension and stage 1 bits. I've had the R32 three years and haven't done anything to it...yes..i've been tempted to but I found out by fluke it's actually got steel internals so can run 1.2 (pending a dyno run). If I wanted more I would sell it and buy a already highly tuned one...there are plenty of really nice ones for sale on this forum that aren't 'sale because it's f*cked'. So, yes, I am very happy with mine...it's reasonably brisk and the handling is sublime.
I aint grumbling (yet)

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I lovemy car and always enjoy driving it. Cost is a bummer, but the enjoyment of just getting behind the wheel is a feeling I can't describe.

I would say driving the Skyline is up there with chocolate. Tasty, sweet, can be messy but totally enjoyable, always coming back for more. :chuckle: ;)

Let's face it the Skyline is old, so mechanically things go wrong and the more modified, the more so. But whether your Skyline is standard, slightly or totally modified....I would say just enjoy it! :smokin:

:squintdan

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yes my Skyline has cost me a lot of money, but I've had it over a year now and I still get a major buzz every time I look at it let alone drive it..
I've owned many quality cars in my time and none of them excite the way this one does.

And yes it does spend a fair amount of its life being either repaired or enhanced, but that is strangely part of it's appeal..?!?

But that don’t change the fact i still think they are poor value for money for what id class as fun compared to other options.
Yeah but Skylines are "cheap" compared to more exotic supercars..
Plus I reckon all 850 bhp cars tend to be pretty unreliable.

The fact that these things will run at 500 bhp for up to 100K before requiring a rebuild is testament to that.. :)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
mine is a love/hate relationship, I have poured every penny I have into it and there is gonna be a time shortly when it will require more money....I could have bought a few brand new cars for what I have spent on it!

saying that....when its right and on song I forget about the money side.... until I try and get in the drive and ground out and think ****...thats another respray/splitter and it starts all over again!

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Ive modified every car ive ever owned.

But in hindsight they were more worthwhile compared to the Skyline.

Infact my experience of countless other types of cars is what brings me to this conclusion, as i know better. Just wished i did at the start, but was taken in by the Skyline hype.

NOTHING to do with fast or breaking down for me, as thats not a problem yet, lol.

Just not that great fun for the money spent, and thats not just going from my own, but god knows how many other of friends etc ive experience of.

This is all personal opinions though, so its understandable others feel different.

·
Administrator
31,758 Posts
frickin adore it

theres nothing it does that i don't like, and i can even tolerate the cost

plently of more fun cars out there, but the skyline has a depth that few cars can match imho

mook

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I don't know how old you guys are but didn't you learn from previous cars you have owned & then modified with thousands of pounds of hard erned cash
& countless trips back & forth to the garage by taxi, but only to find in the end that you sold it for half the price you paid for it in the first place!!!

Surely the GTR isn't the first car you have bought & modified?:confused:

I think as you get older like me you learn to accept that no matter how fast your car is there is always someone with a faster one.:GrowUp:

That's why I choose not to modify my car's performance, but more on the way it looks:)

"The faster it goes the faster it breaks down" Therefore "The more you hate the thing":mad:

There's only 2 winners in the above: The Taxi Man & The Garage owner:smokin:
Totally agree with the above. I couldn't have put it better myself. To be honest if i wanted a 500-600bhp car, then i'd buy one out of the box, from the factory that is meant to run this sort of power day in and out with a warranty.

But mines staying at stage 1 mods (400bhp?) and like sky1t thats why i have also concentrated on other aspects of the car.

Thats not to say i don't like the GTR, because i absolutely adore it. And at the moment nothing can replace it, due to the extra amount of money required for something to replace it with.

Modding is in my blood, so it doesn't matter what i buy, it will end up being modded. And theres no stopping, just spent £1700 in the last couple of days and its going to be another £800+ on a new clutch soon. Oh well, you got to love them!!!

Edited to say, shame your having bad luck with yours Ian, but i know you've been looking at the "others" so i'm sure this is not helping you with your thoughts about the GTR!! ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
ive wanted a skyline gtr for as long as i can remember, its an iconic car, i saved, and purchased one. its has so far been the most depressing, expensive, least driven thing i have ever owned BUT, I LOVE IT

the sound, the exhilaration while driving it (when it works) the looks people give you. i may as well have sold the car as scrap when the bottom end blew - i had NO money to repair it. i left it a while, saved a bit more and now its getting fixed. again. but hey, cheaper than buying a house, or getting married:chuckle:

its a love/hate relationship i have

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I was very tempted to get a griff 500/supra when I was looking. Drove a few supra's and wasn't overly impressed with the steering feel. Didnd't need to drive a Griff as plenty of experience in them (family have had 2) and knew exactly what that was all about. To be honest, if I have had a garage at the time I probably would have got a griff (just thinking about leaks...)...then I would have either loved it or it would have been the biggest mistake ever. Probably would have been the latter and I would have cursed the day but..i got the skyline and I'm hooked. This is, in no small, part down to the owners club...without the backup and advice i wouldn't have touched it (said this before).
I haven't driven my 32gtr for a bit so when the r34 is delivered back the first i am doing is charging the battery up and going for a blast. It's been sat there but I know it will still feel brilliant for a 15 year old car....and thats why i love it...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
So are you saying that everyone that chooses to modify their vehicle with a view to making it go faster, stop faster and handle better is immature??

Good for you, looks are obviously far more important than the driving experience.. lol!

I will agree however that it seems financially sensible to not tune them any higher than the 500bhp mark, as that is what the standard internals are capable of without reliability issues..
Leaving them at the standard 280 seems to be a bit of a waste to me as the RB26 was designed to run at much higher power levels..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Now in my 9th year of Skyline ownership and 4th car, Yes at times, especially when its been in the garage for months waiting for bits etc counting the insurance and fuel bills I think 'is it worth it?' then you get back in and the grin comes back and the saying 'I dont care what it costs.... wow this is great'

Always kept them standard before my last one and yes, bloody hell they can swallow money when you go in search of more power but I'm getting older and wiser (stop buying crap 2nd hand parts on eBay from the states, you know they wont fit!) and insurance is getting better every year.

God I love that car, every mundane journey is a pleasure, hide the receipts because her indoors will never understand..... grow up? never, me and the Skylines will grow old together, disgracefully or until one of us finally goes bang for good.

Do you actually LIKE your skyline .......How could you spend that much time and money on something you did not like?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
You can also look from the flip side of the arguement which puts the modded skyline in the best of light? 7 TVR's and then dad drove a skyline....stage 2 modded R34 GTR is still a HELL of a lot cheaper to run (so far) than any of his TVR's. Factor in the depreciation difference (averaged about 12k a TVR on the last 4) and it's been a 'bargain'
To use a cliche...it 'can be' an everyday supercar.

Could be worse...could buy a 5k maserati biturbo...that's cheap supercar motoring (until you reach the end of the previous owners road). There are still people who do this so it's degrees of madness. A lot of people at work baulk at the running cost of a GTR (or GTS) but it's a hobby.
If you are lucky enough to own one and not need to bother about the cost then your lucky. If not then and you need to put a reasonable amount of your 'disposable' into into just to keep it going...then it's an expensive hobby. Some people like putting their disposable into antiques...some rather donate it to abbey motorsport. Some sensibly put it into futures and buy to let schemes...
If in doubt though, and you are feeling the pain, just talk to Nigel F or Fuggles. I don't think I could cough into my beer anymore after listening to the expenditures they were coming out with on the GTROC dinner weekend :chuckle:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts