GTR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Clearly in a crash scenario, it is plausible the engine might be running at revs, and it might be desirable to be able to turn it off.

I suspect wanting to turn it off while moving is less desirable.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Clearly in a crash scenario, it is plausible the engine might be running at revs, and it might be desirable to be able to turn it off.

I suspect wanting to turn it off while moving is less desirable.
Fair point. i was just slightly curious. :rolleyes:

Its just the input of certain people with stupid comments that SLIGHTLY AGITATES ME! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
and what do they say about curiosity being the mother of all ****ups?
They dont...

Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups.

Curiosity killed the cat.....
:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
all start/stop button cars have the same feature. it's in case the throttle sticks and you have no other way of shutting down the car. there was a horrific crash in the US last year where a father couldn't stop his car. throttle was jammed. he was on the phone with the police screaming for help. and no one knew how to shut the thing down.

better to have a car that can suddenly be shut off at speed, than one that you can't shutoff in an emergency.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8730946

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Fair point. i was just slightly curious. :rolleyes:

Its just the input of certain people with stupid comments that SLIGHTLY AGITATES ME! :rolleyes:
Bi-polar or not, I'm not the twat that ****ed about with the start/stop button of a vehicle moving at 70mph! No amount of 'up thine own arse' posts from you can ever change that fact. You sir, are full of FAIL!! :chuckle:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well I found the thread useful! I now know not to frequently tap the on/off button at speed, and not allow my passengers to attempt it either!

If I'm bored whilst driving I wont consider holding the button down for more than 1.9 seconds unless I'm in the nearside lane with plenty of hard shoulder to accommodate my car.

Can I open the doors at 70 MPH?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
all start/stop button cars have the same feature. it's in case the throttle sticks and you have no other way of shutting down the car. there was a horrific crash in the US last year where a father couldn't stop his car. throttle was jammed. he was on the phone with the police screaming for help. and no one knew how to shut the thing down.

better to have a car that can suddenly be shut off at speed, than one that you can't shutoff in an emergency.

Toyota to recall 3.8M vehicles over floor mats | World news | guardian.co.uk
Ah at last a rational reason, thanks.

Can it be restarted whilst still moving if the brake pedal is applied I wonder?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
can't be restarted. i already confirmed this locally a while back. the only thing you can do is use the handbrake to slow yourself down once you've shut the car down.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
can't be restarted. i already confirmed this locally a while back. the only thing you can do is use the handbrake to slow yourself down once you've shut the car down.
Your brakes should last long enough to stop the car if you brake immediately? And the non-servoed brakes should still work, but you have to press REALLY hard, likewise the non-power assisted steering.

The problem would be if it happened in the fast lane of a motorway and you really needed to restart the engine...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Your brakes should last long enough to stop the car if you brake immediately? And the non-servoed brakes should still work, but you have to press REALLY hard, likewise the non-power assisted steering.

The problem would be if it happened in the fast lane of a motorway and you really needed to restart the engine...
hazard lights, windows down hand waving frantically. it is after all for the ultimate emergency and not every contingency can be dealt with. this is the price you pay with auto gearboxes, the computer is in charge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bi-polar or not, I'm not the twat that ****ed about with the start/stop button of a vehicle moving at 70mph! No amount of 'up thine own arse' posts from you can ever change that fact. You sir, are full of FAIL!! :chuckle:
LOLSPASM :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
...And the non-servoed brakes should still work, but you have to press REALLY hard, likewise the non-power assisted steering....
Indeed; it may all feel like it's not working, just need to man-up!

21 - 40 of 135 Posts