GTR Forum banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
absolute joke, my little ones has occassionally pressed it, i told her to stop but it would never of thought the car would actuallly stop. Thats something nissan should look at or moved the button to the right hand side on the UK models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is crazy that it does not have a failsafe to prevent that. Surely it is not difficult for the ECU to check road speed before enabling an engine shutdown?

The only situation I can see where you might want to do that is if there was a sudden loss in oil pressure and you wanted to try to save the engine (but it's nearly always too late by the time you've been warned about low oil pressure).

Surely it's better to lose an engine very rarely than to allow an otherwise perfectly functional car to crash due to loss of power steering and brakes?
Is everybody completely oblivious to the circus that has gone on state-side with Toyota?

Surely, it would be 'crazy' to have a fail-safe mechanism to prevent this, because this is, in itself, a fail-safe mechanism.

The ECU did exactly what it was supposed to do !!

The car did not shut down in the first instance of the button being pressed but after multiple attempts. If this does not resemble someone attempting a panic shutdown then what would?

Had this particular car been afflicted with a stuck throttle, this functionality would surely be seen in a different light. I guess you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Once engine power is lost, both the brake and steering power assist are designed to store enough reserve power to avoid a collision and come to a stop. If you pump the pedals repeatedly after shutdown, you will bleed the reserve and eventually have nothing left. If you continue to drive without pulling over, the steering will also lose reserve power and you are on your own.

We should be praising this type of engineering as an example of 'How it should be done' and mailing a link for this thread over to the Toyota forums.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
already answered this on page 2 of the thread:

all start/stop button cars have the same feature. it's in case the throttle sticks and you have no other way of shutting down the car. there was a horrific crash in the US last year where a father couldn't stop his car. throttle was jammed. he was on the phone with the police screaming for help. and no one knew how to shut the thing down.

better to have a car that can suddenly be shut off at speed, than one that you can't shutoff in an emergency.

Toyota to recall 3.8M vehicles over floor mats | World news | guardian.co.uk

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I think this may be my next mod....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok firstly, I have no kids, as for me they are just brats and even if I did they wouldn't be putting their sticky fingers, sweets and bottoms anywhere near my motors!! :popcorn:

Secondly I have contacted Nissan to ask them if they can rework the button feature into an ejector seat for the passenger! :thumbsup:

Well my misses does go on sometimes! :squintdan

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Why can't you just push the lever to N?
Agreed, would be far safer.

Okay engine may pop or at least not like bouncing off rev limiter, but you'll at least be able to steer and brake with power!

Unlike most automatics i've driven, popping in and out of D and N without foot on the brake (or some other fail safe) is no problem.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
you can push the lever to N. the procedure quoted in the press here from nissan is: a) shift to N, b) push start/stop button 3 times, c) push hazards, d) brake hard and attempt to steer to safety. (seriously, was in the newspaper from nissan)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Just read it all again, very funny... Boosted, where are you?
hello mike, 'tis a great thread!! Working my arse off dude, be back in a month after sorting these ****ing pirates out. See you in a month. While I'm gone, leave that ****ing button alone :p

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
hello mike, 'tis a great thread!! Working my arse off dude, be back in a month after sorting these ****ing pirates out. See you in a month. While I'm gone, leave that ****ing button alone :p
Lol, brilliant... I have missed you.. :bowdown1::bowdown1:

Take care, and I will.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
What a truly epic thread, and a fantastic read. I actually laughed out loud at some of it :D

121 - 135 of 135 Posts