GTR Forum banner

Do you work on your own car?

• Yes, i mastered the car and do everything myself.

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Yes, i do as much as i possibly can

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • No, i'd rather pay someone to do it

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • No, i'm too scared to touch it even tho i want to

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have to because theres nobody to be trusted around

Votes: 6 10.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, i learned to maintain my previous car for 5 years on my own with the help of forums, online diys and the likes. i didnt go as far as cracking the engine open, but ive done everything from full suspension and brakes, to cooling system, pulleys, custom hid headlights, all fluids and body panels. being at the university for 5 years with the allowance of a student was pretty hard to maintain an m3 but i managed.

so i was wondering how many of you do your own work, how far into it you can go, and most importantly, where do you find your guidance. since i anticipate that good help on these motors is hard to find around here, its interesting to hear some of your experiences.

there should hopefully be a poll attached

cheers

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I wouldnt be afraid of doing some bits to my car mate, but as you said i certainly wouldnt go down the road of cracking the engine open as that would just end in tears lol

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
same as above, can only learn about the car by working on it really!

i do as much as i can on my own, if smallish things that i may not have tools for will go to mates met through the forum and get their assistance so i know what to do in the future. for big things take it to rob :)

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I work on my car, things like swapping out the suspension and little bits & bobs. I could service it myelf very easily aswell but take it to a garage just for that receipt so that I've got a full service file for the next potential owner (£60 odd quid for an oil & filter change by a reputable tuner using Motul 300v isnt really that expensive in the grand scheme of things)

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I have never worked on my car, and never play on doing so, and ESPECIALLY when I get a more expensive car, that just means a more expensive problem I will have to fix once i've broken it...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
in essence, I do all my work. I don't have a proper garage however, nor a lift, but a garage that services exotic cars is less than a kilometer from my house. I recently replaced my wideband - couldn't get under my car, so stopped by, had them lift the car, I grabbed a spanner, did the work, had them lower the car, and I was off in ten minutes.

Much of the other work I've done was side by side with the chief mechanic. There's more satisfaction in having mastered the R32 GT-R than in driving it - the only remaining systems which I haven't mastered is the wiring loom and the climate control system (heater core and A/C unit (the cold half, I've gotten the engine side figured out).

·
Registered
455 Posts
So far I've done everything on the car myself except for mapping, adjusting valve clearances, respraying body panels and getting the chassis straightened after the crash.

Quite a steep learning curve as I never worked with anything on any car previous to this one, save for a catalyst exchange on my previous R33 GTR. It's very rewarding though and has probably saved me more money than I can count.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I personally think part of the fun of owning such a great car is finding your feet and have a tinker with it.

I will only do most of the basic stuff and when it comes down to removing large amounts of parts eg turbos, inlet manifold then its best left to a pro.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've tinkered with cars for years and over the 7 years i've owned my Skyline i've learned so much about how it works but there are lots of things I wouldn't touch. I currently have the engine out and am now re-assembling the head. Never done an engine before but there's so much info available now that it doesn't scare me anymore. A big part of it is having the right tools though.

We'll have to wait and see if it actually runs again!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Too right work on it yourself! Why pay some garage a fortune for doing the really easy stuff like filter changes, oil, brakes etc. The only thing i wouldn't do is the head or the block but if it bolts on and off i'll do it!

That way you really get to know every intimate detail of the car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I used to do a lot of work on my car in Canada, however I had the tools and friends who would let me use their lifts etc.
In Japan I can't really do too much, and since my friends work for Nissan I get them to do it at discounted prices. I do all the small stuff by myself though, just leave the trickier under car stuff to Nissan.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dont know too much about the mechanical side but learing on the GTR and did filters at the weekend oil change brakes etc... its good fun and really rewarding but wouldnt trust myself on anything major or spraying. Leave that to the pros.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I try to do as much as I possibly can to my cars, not only does it save money but being a car enthusiast I like to learn and know about cars as much as my brain, skill and equipment allows me to. I get so much satisfaction when making a change on my car myself and feeling the result and understanding the dynamic of the change..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts