GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just quick question hopefully.. I have been using a machine polisher with 3M perfect it Fast Cut... Then 3M Perfect It Ultra Fine.. bit of Farcla Ultimate hand glaze (by hand) and then using Dodo Juice Hard Wax ontop of that lot! (on Midnight Purple R33)

It seems the dodo juice hard wax by putting on and leaving five mins and buffing off with a microfiber towel leaves some hazy swirls when lightly buffing off.The whole point of the machine polising is that my oldish paint work had light swirls and light scratches and I got rid of these by the machine polising only seemingly to introduce haze/swirls in the dodo wax coat.. Anyone any ideas.. ive bought some Mequires NXT 2.0 and have tried coating one half of bonnet in that and the other half with Dodo Juice blue velvet hard wax to see what that does.

Should i try a dodo soft wax? was also reading on the forums that people leve the NXT 2.0 on for 40mins to an hour before buffing off??!! seems a ridiculous long time? or should i be leaving it that long?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
i use the nxt 2.0 wax . not the bottled stuff but the hard stuff in the round tin , its very good stuff dont leave swirls or anything , i leave it on for about 20 mins before taking it off as i do the whole car and by the time i finish i start taking off what i first put on
hopw=e this helps

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hi Chaz,

try leaving it a bit longer and make sure you keep applying as thinly as possible. It sounds like it's recuring or your taking it off to early and while your not actually causing swirling, it sounds like residue leaving a haze which can look like you've introduced swirls.

The nxt is actually a sealant... A synthetic wax. Nxt wax does have mild cleaners and fillers in it so if you use it a lot or by machine it will start to clean away the glaze you've put on underneath. Not major but worth noting given the work you've put in.

Hope that helps :).

Cheers.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alex / Chris thanks for the help. Must admit the NXT seems easier to apply and remove than dodo hard wax.

Alex- did you mean leave the dodo wax longer and apply thinner or were you refering to the NXT 2.0. I tend to break a chunk of wax off the size of my small finger nail,, hold in the palm of my hand and rub into a panel.. ususally use about 3-4 pieces that size to do a bonnet once.. maybe its my technique with the dodo wax.. i do let it cure overnight but a day later and it seems its still a bit ' greasy' and when i rub my fingers over it it smears (not my finger grease honest!).

Perhpas just my technique with dodo what you think?

With regard to the nxt stuff are you saying have to be careful not to remove the farcla hand glaze? If you dont mind a quick expanation of the hand glaze / wax /nxt benefits would be nice.

I know the hand glaze is the final stage after polishing and contains 'oils' for the paint work... then either a sealant or wax is applied yeah? if the nxt already has oils in it is worth using the farcla?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Chaz,

The NXT is an allrounder so would really negate the use of the glaze underneath.

Th Dodo Wax I'd actually use an applicator and then spread on the paint that way, it may give you a thinner layer which will sure quicker and mean you don't get the greasy affect..... However, I had been giving this thought last night and although I don't personally know much about the Farecla glaze, if it's very oil heavy, I'm even wondering if that and the Dodo aren't working well together, hence the greasy results.

Short term idea without buying anything else..... Over the next few weeks, do a couple of layers of NXT, the cleaners will help take away some of the glaze everytime you apply it, then after a few weeks, go back to trying the Dodo. There shouldn't be the amount of glaze oils on the paint and you can see if you still get the same results. If you do, then it maybe time to get a paint cleanser (non abrasive cleaner) to strip back the protection so you have a perfectly clean surface to start again with.

Cheers.
Alex.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Alex,

I took your advice, but went a stage further, I used the 3m ultra fine again and took off the dodo juice/farecla hand glaze that i had applied on my bonnet. I then applied some nxt instead and let it cure on for a good half hour. I then buffed off by hand and noticed that i still got 'greasy' marks rather than a sharp glass sheen.

I put this down to using too much nxt or not enough elbow grease so i put a polishing bonnet on my polisher and gently machined polished the nxt. This worked a treat and removed , what I assume to be, the excess nxt.

I probably was having the same effect with the dodo juice and that may have benefited too from a light machine polish with the polishing bonnet?

Cheers

Chaz

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Just try and keep it as thin a layer as possible... NXT is known for being a bit smeary unless perfectly applied/ conditions etc but the Dodo Juice should be alot easier to get right without having to make such an effort..... Give it a go though.... Sure it will look fab once done :).

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts