GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a second hand but excellent condition First Gear and Input Shaft however it is lacking several of the smaller items.

I was able to purchase the 2/4/6 thrust bearing circlip and I already have a set of 3 mechanical circlips in my gearbox (I think this includes the Shaft Plug and Mechanical Circlip?). I believe the Gear Lock is the nut which fits over one end of the input shaft?

I appear to be missing the Sleeve Bearing and the Dodson Mechanical Circlip 2.0mm (R35 Cluster Circlip R35ED1GK2BRNG)?

When I was at Litchfield on Thursday, they were unable to find a listing for the items above. I have contacted Dodson directly and I am awaiting a response however does anyone know where I could source these new or used? Or are there equivalent items that will do the same job?

Many thanks
Phil

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Is it the new design or is it the older one that had problems, if its not later version I would not bother.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin Lee (Birch Performance) had it fitted then went fully built on his gearbox last year and it was sold to Mike67 who then also decided to go with a full gearbox build. Litchfield took it out last year and said it was in good condition. Ultimately I intend to get somewhere near 800 ps and around 680 Ibs ft; so I hope either version 1.0 or 2.0 will be ok. Do you know what year they changed the design?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I can find out for sure I know someone who bought the dodson kit after it was changed but received the early superseded model, when it broke it was discovered and questioned and Dodson supplied a new version but no labour or any other parts that were collateral damage.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Martin Lee (Birch Performance) had it fitted then went fully built on his gearbox last year and it was sold to Mike67 who then also decided to go with a full gearbox build. Litchfield took it out last year and said it was in good condition. Ultimately I intend to get somewhere near 800 ps and around 680 Ibs ft; so I hope either version 1.0 or 2.0 will be ok. Do you know what year they changed the design?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I have looks very heavy duty and is in excellent condition. Litchfield vouched for it in so far as they can, given that it was sold by a third party. From pictures it appears v0.1 only had the 3 mechanical circlips whereas v0.2 also has the sleeve bearing and two more circlips. I bought one from Litchfield and have the 3 mechanical ones fitted. I am wondering whether the 246 Cluster Bearings #1 and 2 may suffice?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
It would need to be newer than 2 years then apparently.
Ive got a broken box with Dodson first and input and all extreme circlips here but 4th gear gone ideal for rebuild to avoid downtime, £1100.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
It would need to be newer than 2 years then apparently.
Ive got a broken box with Dodson first and input and all extreme circlips here but 4th gear gone ideal for rebuild to avoid downtime, £1100.
That's interesting John as one of the reasons why people fit the uprated shaft and first gear is to stop 4th gear crapping itself. I've stripped a 4th gear previously and was told the uprated shaft stopped the flexing which pulled the gears apart and allowed them to stay meshed. It would be interesting to hear if others that have fitted uprated shafts are still having issues with 4th gear stripping teeth.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
That's interesting John as one of the reasons why people fit the uprated shaft and first gear is to stop 4th gear crapping itself. I've stripped a 4th gear previously and was told the uprated shaft stopped the flexing which pulled the gears apart and allowed them to stay meshed. It would be interesting to hear if others that have fitted uprated shafts are still having issues with 4th gear stripping teeth.
Ive seen 3 with dodson1st and input break 4th and 5th

1 - 13 of 13 Posts