GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm doing a rebuild I was wonder what I should do to the stock rods. The motor hasn't been taken apart so I'm not sure how they look yet. My power goal is around 600whp and a rev-limit at 8500rpm. My car is a 1990 BNR32.

Thanks,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
take em out and bin them, there 19years old now and you are asking them to cope with 600whp which is gonna be around 700-750flywheel hp
there are plenty places do good piston and rod combo's
try RSP thats where i got mine ;)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
take em out and bin them, there 19years old now and you are asking them to cope with 600whp which is gonna be around 700-750flywheel hp
there are plenty places do good piston and rod combo's
try RSP thats where i got mine ;)
agreed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
dont listen to the poor advice above...they would probably also suggest putting chinese rods in there too.

stock rods are bloody strong items...i ran over 600bhp with them and raced for 3 seasons using stockers resized and fitted with ARP bolts. How were they on stripdown...absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
This guys talking 600 at the wheels matey ....
My engine makes 670 at the crank , which is about 560 at the wheels.
Sure I have never had any issues , but given that you can buy some pretty neat aftermarket rods for $1000nz now I would suggest fitting aftermarket ones.
When and if I rebuild mine I will fit new rods, and also raise the rev limit (currently 8400)
Mine are shot peined factory rods with oil mods and arp 300zxtt rodbolts.
It all depends on budget and how much caining its going to get, rods usually let go downshifting also.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This guys talking 600 at the wheels matey ....
My engine makes 670 at the crank , which is about 560 at the wheels.
Sure I have never had any issues , but given that you can buy some pretty neat aftermarket rods for $1000nz now I would suggest fitting aftermarket ones.
When and if I rebuild mine I will fit new rods, and also raise the rev limit (currently 8400)
Mine are shot peined factory rods with oil mods and arp 300zxtt rodbolts.
It all depends on budget and how much caining its going to get, rods usually let go downshifting also.
im also talking 600 at the wheels...my old engine made a best of 467 all wheel kilowatts running low 10's and revving to 9500rpm...its over 600hp at all four. Long engine was all Nissan except pistons, camshafts and rod bolts.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
By the time you have tested ancient rods by X-raying or at least magnafluxing, had them smoothed and shot peened, and fitted upgraded nuts and bolts you could have bought a set of brand new rods with a modern bolt fixing, not the lawn moweresque nut and bolt Nissan used, which is only really acceptable where necessary, such as in a Ti rod where a threaded upper rod half would cause galling on a steel threaded fastener. As AlexH says, they are 19 years old and if you work out how many times that suggests they have been compressed and expanded you are asking a lot to now expect them to do more work than when they were brand new! Same goes for the crank, given a big budget, and to be brutally honest, you need one when more than doubling the power of an old engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts