GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being pulled over the other week for what the copper described as "revving at the traffic lights" when in actual fact I was in 3rd the lights went red so as I came to a stop I shifted down twice of course causing two auto-blips.

With that I was wondering how many of you guys downshift manually with the paddle causing the auto-blip? and If you do, why? for the noise, habit etc

I know for one TrevGTR loves his downshifting as do I.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I do it for the effect / noise although tend to only do it when below 2k rpm or it makesa right holy show (catless downpipes). Anyone claiming its for gear selection purposes is talking crap as the car will v quietly slip into 1st itself as you come to a halt or if you need to pull away before coming fully to a stop then you can pull off in 2nd

·
Registered
540 Posts
I tend to paddle shift down as love the noise and also its kinda habit.:chuckle:

PMSL that the copper said you were revving at the lights....What a complete ****!!!

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep I also downshift for the noise, I never really truly appreciated the noise until I was behind another GT-R downshifting and it was godly :)

Yep, this was Dorchester, so the coppers literally have nothing to do all day, and decided to pull me over for "revving" and because Bon Jovi was too loud and classed me as a disturbance to the peace.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I do it for the noise. Always drive in manual and if you're in second and slow to a stop it will automatically drop down into first anyway if you 're feeling lazy or just trundling along. I tend to do it around 2k rpm.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree a tad below 2k seems to be the sweet spot for anything not too OTT and enough for a nice surprise for pedestrians :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Bon Jovi...? I take it you were joking. This seriously doesn't belong in a GT-R. I haven't had music playing in mine since I had the downpipes done. Since then I just love listening to the car.
Bon Jovi? Seriously?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Bon Jovi...? I take it you were joking. This seriously doesn't belong in a GT-R. I haven't had music playing in mine since I had the downpipes done. Since then I just love listening to the car.
Bon Jovi? Seriously?
You think that's bad - I have a One Direction CD playing in my car at the moment. :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just because you don't like Bon Jovi does not mean others don't.

I'm not one to follow the herd at my age listening to all this dubstep bollx.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
You think that's bad - I have a One Direction CD playing in my car at the moment. :chuckle:
ONE DIRECTION, and your admitting that on a public forum!

Manual mode for me around 90% of the time when going up the box, usually auto on the way down unless i'm booting it. Have track day friendly pipe fitted so don't really feel the need to downshift at lights.

I never downshift into 1st, personally i feel its bad for the box.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Bon Jovi is fantastic gtr music, blaze of glory, livin on a prayer, real power buzz stuff!

Not downshifting in a gtr is just unimaginable lol, always sounds better when the car is fully hot too. 1st gear '***' sounds great too :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Whilst on the subject of music.....

I'm not ashamed to say I have the TOP GUN sound track in mine...

you can't beat it in this weather, windows down, aviators on and Danger Zone playing.......
oh, also with nice loud auto blips at every downshift..... love it.

I'll get my coat......:runaway:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tend to manually downshift to get away with as little braking as possible, saves break pads and cleaning the shite off the wheels, noise is a bonus:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts